Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: General Purpose Home Internet

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Don't know if the OP has Comcast cable (Xfinity) available, but they have a deal going now for 50 Mbps down service for $20 a month. I'm on my second year with it.
    Get on the CNET.com site and search for internet service providers. They have a whole series of recent articles about types of service and who offers what, including the cellular ones.

Additional:

I don't think T-Mobile's service relies solely on 5G. It started out as a 4G LTE service and the newer routers they issued evolved into the 5G versions they deploy now.

Anyway, among the many articles available here's one strictly on the cellular angle: https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/c...u-should-know/

According to this AT&T doesn't really have anything like VZW and T-Mobile at present, other than whatever hotpot type deals offered.

What's the fixed wireless (WISP) availability there?
    Last edited by whacker; 06-10-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile Home Internet availability depends on the load of the exact tower servicing your address. That's why the address is required to check availability. It doesn't check per zip code; it checks the specific address and the tower that serves it. At least that's my understanding.

Visible is definitely $25/mo, every month, if you join an anonymous Party Pay group.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    T-Mobile Home Internet availability depends on the load of the exact tower servicing your address. That's why the address is required to check availability. It doesn't check per zip code; it checks the specific address and the tower that serves it. At least that's my understanding.

Visible is definitely $25/mo, every month, if you join an anonymous Party Pay group.
    That would explain why Tmo Home Internet was available for my address for a few weeks, but no longer.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile, Truphone, US Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't think Comcast or any of the other big national operations will work. They're likely to want a long term contract (probably a year), and I can't do that right now. Thanks for the idea though.

I missed that Party Pay info on Visible, will have another look.

Had a look over at LTEhacks and it sounds like Visible isn't likely to activate on a hotspot or LTE modem. I'd probably have to buy a Verizon-compatible phone to activate. I already have a phone I could use for activation on AT&T or T-Mobile MVNOs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by allears View Post
    I don't think Comcast or any of the other big national operations will work. They're likely to want a long term contract (probably a year), and I can't do that right now. Thanks for the idea though.

I missed that Party Pay info on Visible, will have another look.
    Party pay is easy to set up. Each party member pays their own bill directly to Visible. It's anonymous. The members of the party don't have any info about each other, other than the party name.

Had a look over at LTEhacks and it sounds like Visible isn't likely to activate on a hotspot or LTE modem. I'd probably have to buy a Verizon-compatible phone to activate. I already have a phone I could use for activation on AT&T or T-Mobile MVNOs.
    True, to activate Visible service you have to have a Visible compatible phone and use the Visible app on it to do the activation. After that you don't need the phone or app. AFAIK, using the Visible SIM in a hotspot is just a matter of putting in the Visible APNs.

Feedback Score
    Couple things Visible as a hotspot sucks. Next nowhere but here have I heard putting an activated Visible SIM works in a hotspot device. It doesn't work I'm sure or else it'd be all over the Hofo VZW prepaid forum & it's not.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    I'll repost the first reply to this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    You can get Visible for $25/mo TOTAL if you join an easy and anonymous Party Pay group. It includes unlimited hotspot data. They offer inexpensive phones, often with a prepaid credit card bonus after the 2nd month is paid. Some people use a mobile router in conjunction with this, since officially, hotspot is limited to 1 connection at a time. This could be a good solution for your light usage.
    This might be a decent solution for the kind of usage the OP describes, since the OP can't get T-Mo Home Internet at this time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Couple things Visible as a hotspot sucks. Next nowhere but here have I heard putting an activated Visible SIM works in a hotspot device. It doesn't work I'm sure or else it'd be all over the Hofo VZW prepaid forum & it's not.
    The Visible hotspot at 5 Mbps of unlimited data is perfectly adequate for what it is - a light duty personal hotspot. When I got Visible I tested running my whole house for one person on it for several days straight, including extensive video streaming. It worked pretty well.

The OP is looking for a replacement for 6 Mbps (and less) DSL for light use. The catch is that they want it to run on a hotspot with Ethernet. I have seen it mentioned several times on Reddit r/Visible people using the Visible SIM in a hotspot by changing the APNs. That's just some rando posting on an Internet forum. Who knows if it is true.

Feedback Score
    Just my experience where I live. It's an FYI.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    > you have to have a Visible compatible phone and use the Visible app on it to do the activation.

I'm probably showing the world my ignorance here, but I don't see how you'd do that unless you had wifi from another service. Otherwise, how could you download an activation app on an unactivated phone? Is the Visible app on the SIM?

Feedback Score
    > you have to have a Visible compatible phone and use the Visible app on it to do the activation.

I'm probably showing the world my ignorance here, but I don't see how you'd do that unless you had wifi from another service. Otherwise, how could you download an activation app on an unactivated phone? Is the Visible app on the SIM?
    Yes, you would need Internet from somewhere to get the Visible app installed on a phone. It is not on the SIM. Wifi Internet from somewhere could be what you have, McDonalds, Walmart, the library, a neighbor, etc.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I never thought that I would find an AT&T deal interesting, but this one might have some promise.

https://www.att.com/prepaid/mobile-hotspot-tablet/

Too bad I can't use the full year deal, $300/year for 20 GB/month is a good price. The Red Pocket 22 GB EBAY 1-year plan was $360 last time I looked.

However, $35/month for 15 GB isn't the worst I've seen, and $55/month for 100 GB sounds pretty good, even though it's quite a bit more than I was hoping to spend. And they're official dedicated hotspot plans, so I don't see how they can reach out and crush someone who's using them that way.

I just don't know whether I can trust AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you modify the ttl on a hotspot you can bypass the 5mbps throttle.

Feedback Score
    I never thought that I would find an AT&T deal interesting, but this one might have some promise.

https://www.att.com/prepaid/mobile-hotspot-tablet/

Too bad I can't use the full year deal, $300/year for 20 GB/month is a good price. The Red Pocket 22 GB EBAY 1-year plan was $360 last time I looked.

However, $35/month for 15 GB isn't the worst I've seen, and $55/month for 100 GB sounds pretty good, even though it's quite a bit more than I was hoping to spend. And they're official dedicated hotspot plans, so I don't see how they can reach out and crush someone who's using them that way.

I just don't know whether I can trust AT&T.
    Trust them for what? That is a plan for use in a hotspot. I have had an AT&T hotspot plan for four years - no drama. I use it. They charge me once a month.

Device(s)
    Motorola E5 Play
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, I recently switched to T-Mobile Home Internet. The speed is good, and I'm okay with the price ($60/month - I think it's too late for me to get in on that $50 deal).

A few things to watch out for:

1) VOIP: T-Mobile deliberately blocks some VOIP communications. My SIP connection to IPComms will register, but calls can't get through. I haven't figured out a solution to this yet. Some people say they only block the default SIP port (5060), but I can't get IPComms to use any other port.

2) VPNs: Certain ones - in particular GlobalProtect - won't work properly. There's a fix, but you have to be able to set the MTU value for your computer, which will often be controlled by a company IT dept for those using GlobalProtect. I've also used OpenVPN, but it didn't have any problems.

3) If you sign up with autopay, they will still charge you the extra $5 the first month. Crooked as hell if you ask me, but aren't they all?

Still, I like it better than my old service with AT&T U-verse.

PS. Btw, I'm a very heavy user, using hundreds of GBs per month, and they haven't complained or throttled my service.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast