Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buying A Smartphone Directly From Total Wireless

Feedback Score

Buying A Smartphone Directly From Total Wireless

The SIM card is in another phone now.

Now what?

If I put it back in the original phone, does the 12 months start over?

Or, does the clock start ticking from where it left off?

I did try an active Mint Mobile SIM card in that phone and it does display a message stating that it is locked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    If I put it back in the original phone, does the 12 months start over?

Or, does the clock start ticking from where it left off?
    For Tracfone (I assume that'll be true in your case too), it starts counting from where it left off.

So if you had the sim in the phone for 10 months and in a different phone for 2 months, you'll need to keep the sim in the phone for another 2 months. Edited to add - And you'll need paid service for another 2 months too. Yeah, Verizon is serious about the "marriage vows", LOL.

The unlocking dept should be able to tell you how much longer your "prison sentence" is. There's also some "exchange rate" that you can pay to get it unlocked sooner than 12 months; I think it's expensive though.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    ...The unlocking dept should be able to tell you how much longer your "prison sentence" is...
    So far, they don't seem very knowledgeable.

I now have a Google Pixel 6 that has an AT&T eSIM as the primary line.

I keep the Total Wireless SIM in it as a backup second line when we go ATVing in very remote areas.

I can easily leave it in the Motorola Moto G Power (XT2041DL) until we go on ATV trips.

I just want to know how long I need to do that.

I may keep Total Wireless over the summer, since I will get some more bonus data in a couple of months.

I think the bonus data may carry over from month to month, but I need to verify that, too.

Feedback Score
    I keep the Total Wireless SIM in it as a backup second line when we go ATVing in very remote areas.
    I can easily leave it in the Motorola Moto G Power (XT2041DL) until we go on ATV trips.
    I just want to know how long I need to do that.
    If you've only recently started using the TW sim in a different phone, you won't have to wait much longer. The total time just literally needs to add up to 1 year (or 12 months = 360 days).

You could try to estimate how many more days are remaining by adding up the number of days that your sim has been in a different phone.

You should try asking the unlocking dept again. Tracfone's unlocking dept is pretty competent (at least more competent than the regular CS reps, from what I've heard), so I expect TW's unlocking dept probably is too.

Either way, I think it's best to keep the TW sim in the original TW phone unless you need to use it as a backup sim on ATV trips.

Feedback Score
    If you've only recently started using the TW sim in a different phone, you won't have to wait much longer. The total time just literally needs to add up to 1 year (or 12 months = 360 days).
    Where do you get that info from? When I read the TOS I cannot find that. How will they know that you used the SIM "x" days on other phone? Who keeps track?
    As long as the service contract is paid for 12 months, at the and of those 12 months you can put the SIM back in the locked phone and ask for unlocking.

Feedback Score

Here is an update:

I ordered the Motorola XT2041DL a year ago.

Since we already had Total Wireless service, the SIM card was simply inserted in the new Motorola Motorola XT2041DL.

So now, when I check with Total Wireless, they show an activate line of service to a phone that was registered under the Total Wireless Bring Your Own Phone program. They cannot verify what phone it is, however.

So, if I understand this correctly, I need a new Total Wireless SIM card and need to "activate" service on the new SIM card and affiliate the Motorola phone IMEI with that SIM card number.

Then, I need to wait for 60 days to submit the unlocking request.

Feedback Score
    Here is an update:
    I ordered the Motorola XT2041DL a year ago.
    Since we already had Total Wireless service, the SIM card was simply inserted in the new Motorola Motorola XT2041DL.
    Whoa, like they say in the movies, - that changes everything!
    All this while I thought the phone was being used with the sim card that it came with.

So now, when I check with Total Wireless, they show an activate line of service to a phone that was registered under the Total Wireless Bring Your Own Phone program. They cannot verify what phone it is, however.
    Yes, that sounds right. Your existing TW sim card, when inserted into your Moto phone, will show up as a BYOP sim.

(I'm curious - what phone were you using with the TW sim card originally? Since they can't verify what phone it is, my guess is that it was an unlocked phone, or a phone unrelated to the Tracfone family. If it was a TW or Tracfone-related phone, they should have its imei in their database).

So, if I understand this correctly, I need a new Total Wireless SIM card and need to "activate" service on the new SIM card and affiliate the Motorola phone IMEI with that SIM card number.
    Then, I need to wait for 60 days to submit the unlocking request.
    Here, I'm not too sure. I don't know about TW, but this is how it works with Tracfone:

In order to unlock a Tracfone-branded phone, it has to be activated with its own native sim card. (In fact, Tracfone frowns upon using byop sim cards in TF-branded phones).

So I don't know if activating your TW-branded Moto phone with a byop sim card will successfully unlock it.

Device(s)
    S22+/A51/A71 5G, Pixel 7/6a, Moto G7 Power/Z3 Play/One 5G Ace, iPhone SE3
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Also, if the phone was originally activated on any of the TracFone brands before 11/23/21, it will not qualify for 60-day unlocking, even if you use its original SIM or associate a new SIM with that phone. It will still require 360 days for unlocking.

Feedback Score
    Jim1348, a couple questions for you:

Did you ever give the imei of the Moto XT2041DL to TW (prior to a few days ago when you talked to the unlocking dept)?

And did you ever formally *activate* the Moto XT2041DL on TW? (because strictly speaking, inserting an existing activated sim into the phone isn't activating the phone, strictly speaking.)

Does the Unlocking department recognize the Moto's imei at all?

There just *may* be a solution for your phone, depending on the answers!

Feedback Score

Jim1348, a couple questions for you:

Did you ever give the imei of the Moto XT2041DL to TW (prior to a few days ago when you talked to the unlocking dept)?

And did you ever formally *activate* the Moto XT2041DL on TW? (because strictly speaking, inserting an existing activated sim into the phone isn't activating the phone, strictly speaking.)

Does the Unlocking department recognize the Moto's imei at all?

There just *may* be a solution for your phone, depending on the answers!
    I bought this phone for my youngest son, who has since passed away, so I don't know and can't ask him. The more I think about this, the more I think an existing activated SIM was inserted in the phone.

When I contacted Total Wireless, they saw that the phone was purchased from them, but they did not recognize the IMEI at all.

I have a new Total Wireless SIM card on order. I may just "activate" the new SIM card and insert it in the Motorola XT2041DL. Then, in 60 days or so, I may contact them and ask to have it unlocked at that time.

Feedback Score
    I bought this phone for my youngest son, who has since passed away, so I don't know and can't ask him.
    I am so sorry! This is the worst nightmare for any parent!
    Last edited by SoNic67; 06-09-2022 at 02:17 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have a new Total Wireless SIM card on order. I may just "activate" the new SIM card and insert it in the Motorola XT2041DL . Then, in 60 days or so, I may contact them and ask to have it unlocked at that time.
    You should ask a TW rep to "pair" the new SIM to the phone, making it the "official" SIM for that phone so it would be unlocked later. If the phone is still paired to its original SIM and you use another SIM in it, it won't get unlocked.

Feedback Score
    I bought this phone for my youngest son, who has since passed away, so I don't know and can't ask him. The more I think about this, the more I think an existing activated SIM was inserted in the phone.

When I contacted Total Wireless, they saw that the phone was purchased from them, but they did not recognize the IMEI at all.

I have a new Total Wireless SIM card on order. I may just "activate" the new SIM card and insert it in the Motorola XT2041DL. Then, in 60 days or so, I may contact them and ask to have it unlocked at that time.
    I feel really bad asking you those questions. I'm really sorry.

Since the unlocking dept doesn't recognize the imei, the new 60-day unlocking policy *should* apply, since the phone was technically never activated in the past.

When you activate it now, you should make sure that the phone's imei gets into the database along with the ICCID of the sim card that you activate. Don't just activate the sim card and insert it into the Moto. That won't help with unlocking the phone. Activate the sim card using Chat and give the phone imei to the rep, so that the imei of the phone gets "married" to the sim card.

With Tracfone, the phone gets unlocked on the 61st day, so if it's the same way with TW, you'll need your service to be active for 3 months.

Edited to add - I don't know if you can possibly locate the original sim that came with the phone. If that original sim is available, using that sim is preferable to using a new TW sim, because the original sim and phone are already logged as "married" in the database.

Feedback Score

Buying A Smartphone Directly From Total Wireless Preview

...Edited to add - I don't know if you can possibly locate the original sim that came with the phone. If that original sim is available, using that sim is preferable to using a new TW sim, because the original sim and phone are already logged as "married" in the database.
    I did order a new SIM card Tuesday, June 7th, 2022. Even with UPS 2nd Day Air, it was not delivered until yesterday evening.

Anyway, the on-liine activation wasn't working, so I did it on chat. I provided them the SIM card number of the new SIM card and the IMEI of the Motorola Moto G Power (XT2041DL) smartphone. Now I will wait out the 60 days and see if I can unlock it at that time. If I check on August 14, 2022, that will give me 61 days.

Thank you to all for the assistance!

Device(s)
    LG G8 Thinq, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I bought a refurb TW iPhone XR last December. I activated with a $25 plan and used it for 1 month. It unlocked automatically after 60 days. No problems with the phone at all. It has 100% battery health.
    Google Pixel 7 128gb Lemongrass RP GSMA 1K/UL/1gb
    Samsung Galaxy A51 FP GSMT
    Nokia 6.1 FP GSMT
    LG G8 Thinq ATT
    LG V20 LS997
    Samsung Gear S3 Frontier
    Acer Spin 713 Chromebook
    ______
    Past Phones:
    iPhone (SE 2016, 3G, XR), Huawei Ascend XT2, LG (Xpression Plus, Tribute HD, G4, Volt, Tribute 2, Optimus Exceed 2, Realm), Moto X (2014, 2013), Nexus 5, Nokia Lumia (520 820 1020), Samsung Galaxy S3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast