Thread: risks, disadvantages to making an online account with any carrier, example, PPC?

Feedback Score

risks, disadvantages to making an online account with any carrier, example, PPC?

Does making an online account with some/any MVNO have any disadvantage or risk, for being a customer (or if not yet)?

Not sure how safe the account information would be once the carrier has it because not sure how often crooked people bug-in to the carriers's sites to steal and misuse customers' information.

Page Plus Cellular is one specific company carrier which does not require customer to make an online account, so this could make some customers feel safer. But I am interested in well-informed opinions, regardless of which MVNO company/carrier.

Feedback Score
    Hackers imho have bigger fish to fry.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Does making an online account with some/any MVNO have any disadvantage or risk, for being a customer (or if not yet)?
    What security issues are you concerned about? If it's financial, I don't think you have to list a payment method in the account. I have a Tracfone account, which may be different than Page Plus. There are things you can check in your account without having to contact a CS rep.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z2 (Red)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    From what I can remember, one has to buy a card and apply it to your PPC account. There is no credit card info entered or stored in your PPC account's webpages. Plus, I don't think that PPC (nor any MVNO) allows one to turn their account value ($,minutes,msgs,bytes), back into cash a hacker can walk away with.

As noted in other threads here, PCC doesn't even list your account number in your webpages.

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I have had Page Plus for over 5 years, given them my real name and address with no problems that I know of. Had one instance of almost losing my airtime balance, but they took care of it in my favor. Gave them my CC info once, worked ok.

Would have used their autopay but it only works with monthly plans. I use the "once every 4 months pay as you go" plan. I use Prepaidonline.com and they autopay it. Other refill people may do it also.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    From what I can remember, one has to buy a card and apply it to your PPC account. There is no credit card info entered or stored in your PPC account's webpages.
    That's pretty chintzy that PP can't store your information for online purchases. My Tracfone account has this, and I don't even have to enter any sign on information with my computer or phone app. I have numerous online accounts that store my information... Walmart, Amazon, etc. I use a dedicated debit card for only online purchases with a low balance, so not fearful about hackers getting anything. Banks are pretty good these days about detecting bogus withdrawals.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Buying a refill card/PIN online from a third party reseller and then applying it on the PPC website is what a lot of people (including myself) do. But you can buy from PPC as well, and that would require a CC. I don't remember if there's an option to not store the card info. But you'd also be more likely to be subject to taxes buying on the PPC site. I buy from Pinzoo and have no sales tax added. Which reminds me - I need to buy a couple of $10 deals pretty quick.

Feedback Score
    Reviewing this topic about three months later was nice doing. I am still unsure what choice to make about online account or buy as "guest". I like the advice above, to use a prepay debit card with a low balance.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    The risks to your credit cards are fairly clear and limited, you can't lose that much, just be careful how you expose your credit cards. Virtual CC's can help. Debit cards are more worrisome...

But I think the very serious risks are scams like SIM swapping. So I would avoid any carrier that seems to make it easy to move your phone number to a different SIM. The risk isn't so much to your phone service or your credit cards, but your entire online, ID and financial life. Once hackers get control your phone number, even for a short while, your losses can be significant. Its because your phone and SMS is so often used for 2FA, that, along with all the data breaches you hear about, they can mess with your bank accounts, investments, online identity, etc, etc.

So I think those scenerios are the bigger worry.