Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Purchasing from Best Buy Activate Today and number transfer timing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    254
    Feedback Score
    0

    Purchasing from Best Buy Activate Today and number transfer timing

    Hi, my wife was wanting to get a Samsung S21 for Verizon purchased from Best Buy. She wanted to know when she would need to transfer her number to the new phone once she ordered it? She is a teacher and wanted to wait for the end of the school year. When she picks the phone up it will need to be activated it looks like. Does activating mean that the number needs to be transferred at that time or is that just the start day for making payments? Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,334
    Feedback Score
    0
    Activating means service starts.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,061
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    OP, does she have existing service with another provider and plans to transfer the phone # later ? Is she buying the phone on a payment plan through Best Buy/Verizon or purchasing outright ?

    If she is buying the phone on a payment plan the carrier will expect the phone to be activated ASAP. I don't know the time frame but if not activated by a certain date, she could be billed the full cost of the phone even if she never activated it. Just saying. If you need more specific information either call customer service or try an online chat.

    FWIW: I use the same phone on T-Mobile currently. The phone is very good and works where 5G where available and can easily fall back to 4G where 5G doesn't.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    254
    Feedback Score
    0
    We are already on Verizon so it will be an upgrade of an existing line. We have the option for a payment plan but can also just buy it out right. We could by the phone unlocked but it cost $100 more. Ideally, she wanted to buy it out right and then activate it in June. I used online chat at best buy and all they would say is that it has to be activated when picked up at the store. Afterwards, I wasn't sure if activated just referred to paying for or starting a payment plan, or if you had to have your # moved to it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    44
    Device(s)
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post
    We are already on Verizon so it will be an upgrade of an existing line. We have the option for a payment plan but can also just buy it out right. We could by the phone unlocked but it cost $100 more. Ideally, she wanted to buy it out right and then activate it in June. I used online chat at best buy and all they would say is that it has to be activated when picked up at the store. Afterwards, I wasn't sure if activated just referred to paying for or starting a payment plan, or if you had to have your # moved to it.
    I'm out of the loop, but when I purchased outright from Best Buy (The S8+ when it was fairly new), you could have the phone mailed to you and it wasn't activated until you put the sim card in yourself. This was how you got around having Best Buy activate it for you in-store.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    450
    Feedback Score
    0
    Someone who knows about this more fully should respond. Knowing more on this would be beneficial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
    I'm out of the loop, but when I purchased outright from Best Buy (The S8+ when it was fairly new), you could have the phone mailed to you and it wasn't activated until you put the sim card in yourself. This was how you got around having Best Buy activate it for you in-store.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,436
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post
    We are already on Verizon so it will be an upgrade of an existing line. We have the option for a payment plan but can also just buy it out right. We could by the phone unlocked but it cost $100 more. Ideally, she wanted to buy it out right and then activate it in June. I used online chat at best buy and all they would say is that it has to be activated when picked up at the store. Afterwards, I wasn't sure if activated just referred to paying for or starting a payment plan, or if you had to have your # moved to it.
    best buy does have the option to port your number to the new phone - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questio...e-b85f0d3499dc

    and to setup the new phone see here - https://www.bestbuy.com/wireless/act...-guide/render/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    398
    Device(s)
    Too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post
    We are already on Verizon so it will be an upgrade of an existing line. We have the option for a payment plan but can also just buy it out right. We could by the phone unlocked but it cost $100 more. Ideally, she wanted to buy it out right and then activate it in June. I used online chat at best buy and all they would say is that it has to be activated when picked up at the store. Afterwards, I wasn't sure if activated just referred to paying for or starting a payment plan, or if you had to have your # moved to it.
    It would help to know the reason for waiting to activate the new phone. If it simply is that you don't want to take the new phone to school and start using it afterwards, simply buy the phone with activation and transfer the SIM back to your old phone for the rest of the school year, then move it back to the new phone. This obviously will work only if your current device is VOLTE capable.

    If that's not the issue, the switch obviously won't solve the issue. Again, let us know what the specifics of the issue are and you will likely get more useful input.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    254
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ617 View Post
    It would help to know the reason for waiting to activate the new phone. If it simply is that you don't want to take the new phone to school and start using it afterwards, simply buy the phone with activation and transfer the SIM back to your old phone for the rest of the school year, then move it back to the new phone. This obviously will work only if your current device is VOLTE capable.

    If that's not the issue, the switch obviously won't solve the issue. Again, let us know what the specifics of the issue are and you will likely get more useful input.
    She finds the act of switching phone stressful and is afraid that something will go wrong. It doesn't make sense but there is little I can do about it either. I'd think that having a Samsung S7 that is not working well would be a lot more stressful. It could die on her any day and she will have nothing. We missed the sale at Best Buy it looks like anyway but thanks for the help.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    398
    Device(s)
    Too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post
    She finds the act of switching phone stressful and is afraid that something will go wrong. It doesn't make sense but there is little I can do about it either. I'd think that having a Samsung S7 that is not working well would be a lot more stressful. It could die on her any day and she will have nothing. We missed the sale at Best Buy it looks like anyway but thanks for the help.
    We all have our own little "phobias", so I understand the SIM issue. If you find another deal, whether at Best Buy or at a Verizon store, there is one idea that might help. Buy the new phone and have it activated, then have them immediately put the SIM back in the old S7. Verizon will have no problem with that and if there is an issue with the SIM, the tech will replace it with no issue. Just a thought. Good luck, in any event.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-15-2016, 11:46 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 02:46 PM
  3. cingular and customer service from best buy?
    By GreenLantern747 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-10-2006, 08:40 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 06:32 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 09:48 PM

Bookmarks