Thread: VoNR and ViNR

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S21 Ultra, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

VoNR and ViNR

Will AT&T be using VoNR and ViNR when they launch 5G SA? Is that something that's just part of 5G SA or does it have to be actively deployed with 5G SA sort of like when LTE was first launched then VoLTE came later. Also I read that ViNR is just part of network so it doesn't require a separate app for video calls, would this mean apps like FaceTime and Duo, WhatsApp etc will basically no longer be needed?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited Elite & Unlimited Starter
    HBOMAX

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    All carriers will launch VoNR eventually because it’s the only way they’ll be able to phase out LTE, which should happen around 2030 at the very earliest but probably more like 2035 to 2040. However, as far as I know, no carrier has disclosed when they plan to deploy either VoNR or ViNR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    All carriers will launch VoNR eventually because it’s the only way they’ll be able to phase out LTE, which should happen around 2030 at the very earliest but probably more like 2035 to 2040. However, as far as I know, no carrier has disclosed when they plan to deploy either VoNR or ViNR.
    AFAIK, T-Mobile is the only carrier who has discussed plans regarding VoNR so far. "Another feature T-Mobile is hoping to deploy in 2021 is voice over 5G. Known as VoNR, or “Voice over 5G New Radio”, Ray suggests that we could “start to see stuff in 2021” related to VoNR and that the rollout should be smoother than VoLTE’s. “VoLTE was pretty bumpy,” Ray said. He went on to hint that there may be more to talk about VoNR in early 2021." Source: https://www.tmonews.com/2020/12/t-mo...regation-2021/

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 mini, iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon (Spectrum Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    I've also heard mixed reports about whether the Qualcomm X55 will support VoNR. Supposedly, only the X60 (and presumably newer X65) are able to do VoNR. But I've read a couple reports where some people have claimed that they were able to use some special Qualcomm tool to force VoNR on with the X55 on T-Mobile, and it worked. If the X55 will never officially support VoNR, it's kind of a moot point until some X60/X65 phones come out this year.

Personally, I really wish somebody from the carriers/manufacturers would address the X55's VoNR support. I'm really curious to know whether the X55 will be software-upgradable to turn on/add support for VoNR officially, or if it will require a hardware upgrade, so I can future-proof my next phone purchase.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Hopefully for ATT customers when ATT opts into VoNR they open it up to all phones that support it.

I had a hell of a time getting VoLTE and LTE working consistently on my unlocked iPhones for the first two years that ATT supported those features.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017