Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Activating a Tracfone-branded smartphone

Feedback Score

Activating a Tracfone-branded smartphone

Can I use a Basic Phone airtime card to activate a Tracfone-branded smartphone?

This card available from Walmart - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tracfone-...ivery/45111498 - if I buy it, can I use it to activate a Tracfone-branded smartphone?

I don't want to buy it and then find out that Basic Phone cards can't be used for activating smartphones.

TIA for any help!

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Since you want to activate a phone with a timecard and not a transfer, it's a new line. A new line smartphone is unlikely to be allowed to use a Basic card. Only some smartphones with phone number that had Triple Minute For Life (TMFL) in its "lineage" got grandfathered to use a Basic card. If you don't want to risk wasting your money, don't attempt to activate a smartphone with a Basic card.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Since you want to activate a phone with a timecard and not a transfer, it's a new line. A new line smartphone is unlikely to be allowed to use a Basic card. Only some smartphones with phone number that had Triple Minute For Life (TMFL) in its "lineage" got grandfathered to use a Basic card. If you don't want to risk wasting your money, don't attempt to activate a smartphone with a Basic card.
    Thanks for the info.
    Can that Basic Phone airtime card be used to add airtime to a Tracfone-branded smartphone later though? Meaning, not at the time of activation, but later on?
    TIA.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Can that Basic Phone airtime card be used to add airtime to a Tracfone-branded smartphone later though? Meaning, not at the time of activation, but later on?
    You can try, but if the smartphone was not grandfathered with TMFL, using a Basic card will only get you the "face value" and not tripled. For example: a $19.99 60-minute Basic card will only get you 60/60/60 instead of 180/180/180.

Feedback Score
    Well, I got this PM from Alex. I guess it is the "official" response to my question:

"Hi, sillyette. This is Alex from TracFone Wireless.

Yes, the $19.99 90-Day Plan is compatible for Smartphones.

For clarification, Basic Plan and Smartphone Only Plans are compatible for Apple iPhones, Bring Your Own Phone and Smartphones. On the other hand, the feature phones are only compatible to Basic Plans.

Thank you and have a great day!"

So. The PM doesn't tell me whether I can ACTIVATE a smartphone with a Basic Plan.
    I suppose I could try to activate, and if it doesn't work, I can use it just to add airtime.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    TracAlex is often misleading. Follow what @hpham stated, and don't use a Basic airtime card on a new smartphone. With so many airtime purchase options, I wish they would just drop the Basic cards. They are really only needed for a small amount of early basic phones that can't use smartphone cards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    TracAlex is often misleading.
    I agree. How can Tracfone allow misleading information to be spread by an official/official-sounding source? Alex clearly states that he is "from Tracfone Wireless". I would have thought companies cared about such things.

Feedback Score
    TracAlex is no different from any other Tracfone CSR. The CSRs probably take turns reading HoFo and offering unsolicited advice. At confidence levels down to their usual standards.

TF corporate may not even know if a basic card will work for activation. The basic cards are valid. You just can't buy them from the website once TF gets a whiff of your IMEI/sim (unless you are grandfathered).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Why can't Alex post replies openly in the forum instead of hiding behind PMs? None of what he said in the PMs contained any confidential or personal info.

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I don't know about activating a Smartphone with a basic airtime card, but you can definitely add it to your account. Basic airtime card is what I buy when I just need to extend days cause its the cheapest.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    I don't know about activating a Smartphone with a basic airtime card, but you can definitely add it to your account. Basic airtime card is what I buy when I just need to extend days cause its the cheapest.
    Do you have TMFL on your smartphone? When redeeming a Basic 60-minute card, do you get 60/60/60 or 180/180/180?

Feedback Score
    I have redeemed basic airtime against a smart phone using reward points. The website is a bit finicky but I can usually get it to work. You do not get triple on the smartphone but basically I was paying $20 for 90 day extension and didn't care about the minutes text or data.

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Do you have TMFL on your smartphone? When redeeming a Basic 60-minute card, do you get 60/60/60 or 180/180/180?
    I have a TF/BYOP smartphone and got 180/180/180 last time I added a Basic 60 minutes card.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone, TextNow
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    I have a TF/BYOP smartphone and got 180/180/180 last time I added a Basic 60 minutes card.
    My wife and I have two BYOP smartphones that get 3X minutes/texts/MBs, ie 180/180/180 with a 60 minute basic card.
    Phone 1 was activated 4 years ago with a 3X SIM. It's still using that SIM and has always gotten 3X.
    Phone 2 was activated 18 months ago with an eBay 1200/1200/3GB SIM. It did not get 3X with basic cards so I transferred the service to an unactivated 3X SIM I had laying around. After the transfer I verified that it now gets 3X
    with basic 60 minute top-ups purchased with reward points.

It seems like any BYOP with a 3X SIM in it will get 3X. Unfortunately, I don't think you can't buy 3X SIMs anymore.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    It seems like any BYOP with a 3X SIM in it will get 3X. Unfortunately, I don't think you can't buy 3X SIMs anymore.
    You're right that you can't buy 3X SIMs anymore. I still have 10 sets (AT&T and Verizon) of them from the 2016 Family Dollar Bonanza ($29.99 SIM Kit, with a $19.99 time card, for $1). But some people said those SIMs won't get provisioned for VoLTE when activated. I don't know if that's true.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast