Thread: avoiding bloat and "Carrier Ware"

Carrier(s)
    pageplus, looking for better
    Feedback Score

Question avoiding bloat and "Carrier Ware"

Golly I didn't know replacing BYOD device would be such an effort...

From what I been able to research, the "carrier ware" comes in from the SIM, even if I got an unlocked Moto, or One Plus straight from manufacturer (?)

But I have also read (much as they never appealed to me in the past) the only "phone with camera" immune to that stuff are the iPhones (?)

It's been 4+ years since I've used Android - USED to be the annoyances (Netflix, etc, I've no idea what they put in there now) could be "disable completely" in the settings - set it and forget it.

Same thing worked for all but 1 google app/services - simply disabled 'em. Kept photos and back-up of contacts on the SD-card, & factory reset device every couple weeks

Is "Save what matters on SD & Reset" still possible on today's Androids? Can still simply skip the 'Google Account' part etc? The devices (used to) work just fine without that

iPhone are NICE - but I'm flat out uncomfortable with "no SD-card to save my own data"

Thanks in Advance

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by virginwidow View Post
    iPhone are NICE - but I'm flat out uncomfortable with "no SD-card to save my own data"
    Don't forget that it is becoming a trend in the cell phone business. My Samsung Galaxy S21 using Android 11 no longer has an SD card slot. Cloud storage is the becoming the "norm" in cell phones.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by virginwidow View Post
    Golly I didn't know replacing BYOD device would be such an effort...

From what I been able to research, the "carrier ware" comes in from the SIM, even if I got an unlocked Moto, or One Plus straight from manufacturer (?)...
    It's more like various carrier profiles of apps and other things are part of the phone base software/firmware for multi-carrier phones. They get installed when the phone is activated.

I have four recent Moto phones. They all came with very little manufacturer bloatware. None of them has installed any carrier ware when I activated them on Tracfone, Straight Talk, Page Plus, and Visible. The Tracfone branded ones did not even come with the Tracfone app.

You can definitely initialize an Android phone without a Google account, but you won't be able to get and update apps from the Play Store. You can get most apps from app repositories.

I see no need to backup to SD and reset.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

You can definitely initialize an Android phone without a Google account, but you won't be able to get and update apps from the Play Store. You can get most apps from app repositories.
    Not completely true. For SURE you can setup Android device without any Google Account. You CAN ACTUALLY update the pre-installed Google or Android apps through the Playstore app. What you can not do is, download and install more apps.

Carrier(s)
    pageplus, looking for better
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up THANKS for the "heads up"

Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Don't forget that it is becoming a trend in the cell phone business. My Samsung Galaxy S21 using Android 11 no longer has an SD card slot. Cloud storage is the becoming the "norm" in cell phones.
    Wow... who'd have thunk it? Truly appreciate the info everyone ...

From what I've read about "New Android" seems they went outa their way to COMPLICATE (or take control of) the simplest things, play a saved video, or an mp3 file. I read one has to get a "Gallery" app off of F-Droid to see photos - Jeeze. Only apps I NEED (or would consider using) those are on F-Droid... Telegram, Browser, etc...

The 'take away' I'm picking up, is even with an SD-card, it'll be no small effort involved keeping MY DATA inside MY DEVICE ... Considering the 32 gigs standard storage, it's puzzling AF why anyone but - someone who needed to exchange spreadsheets, or do TeleHealth for work etc - needs a cloud...

I've got a couple months to choose "lesser of evils" ... TBH I've been very impressed w. everyrthing I've heard of Apple support, etc.

Thanks Again
    VW