Thread: Questions: Switching uGDP from Galaxy S4 mini to unlocked S21 5G - phone feature does not work?

Feedback Score

Questions: Switching uGDP from Galaxy S4 mini to unlocked S21 5G - phone feature does not work?

I have gUDP and switched from Galaxy S4 mini to and unlocked S21 5G, for which I paid full retail on Amazon:

- I cut the SIM to nano size (it was already cut once from Mini-SIM (Motorola Bionic, I think) to Micro-SIM for the S4 mini)
    - Samsung Smart Switch to move over the data
    - the status bar indicator jumps back and forth between 4G, 4G+, 5G (I live in NYC), but mostly stays in 5G (which I am not supposed to get with my plan, I think)
    - there is no longer an option to choose 4G only in settings (and 5G is supposed to cost $10 more and not be available to gUDP, anyway)
    - 3-4 bars most of the time
    - Data works - I get 40-70 Mbps Down, 5-15 Mbps Up
    - SMS works but I don't know which system it uses - the same old SMS or the new one that uses the data connection

- I got a text from Verizon: "We noticed that you switched the SIM card to a new device. Review and confirm the features for your device replacement by visiting us at go.vzw.com/SimCardActivation?dss=y"
    When I follow the link to my verizon.com account it says to the effect "let's see what plans best fit your new device yes/no". I clicked "no", of course.

Q: Biggest problem is I can't make calls - as soon as it dials, it hangs up. Do I call Verizon, online chat, or visit a store? Which has the best way to prove that I don't want to have my plan "accidentally" changed?
    (Every time I have any interaction with a Verizon employee I start with "In no way I want to change my current plan,......." Luckily none of my friends work at Verizon)

Q: Do I worry that most of the time the status bar shows 5G? I am not supposed to get 5G with gUDP? Don't want them to say I have abused the system and they are canceling the plan.

Q: So far I have very small average data usage and every time I have used a lot has been with the Hotspot feature for which I have paid $1/day while in use. However, my situation has changed and I plan to use gUDP with more and more Hotspot - perhaps up into the several-hundred-GB per month range. Any advice to avoid Verizon canceling my plan?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    You get 5G Nationwide with the plan, just not mmWave, the gig-level speeds. Nothing to worry about.

Reset your APN settings. And if you had an S4, your SIM is probably mad old and may be the problem. If you're super paranoid, go buy one yourself from Best Buy or Amazon, $4-10 depending on the place then update your SIM.

Also, I can't remember, but did the S4 even support VoLTE? If not, that's your problem, your account probably doesn't have the feature codes for it. The system CAN auto update to add it, but if your phone is unlocked it doesn't always happen.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    You get 5G Nationwide with the plan, just not mmWave, the gig-level speeds. Nothing to worry about.

Reset your APN settings. And if you had an S4, your SIM is probably mad old and may be the problem. If you're super paranoid, go buy one yourself from Best Buy or Amazon, $4-10 depending on the place then update your SIM.

Also, I can't remember, but did the S4 even support VoLTE? If not, that's your problem, your account probably doesn't have the feature codes for it. The system CAN auto update to add it, but if your phone is unlocked it doesn't always happen.

Q: so if it is not mmWave, I don't have to pay the $10?

- the S4 mini was supposed to support VoLTE with an update, but if I got the update I don't know.

The latest I got this SIM was with Droid Bionic released 2011, but it could be older than that.
    Q: If I end up getting a new SIM from Best Buy, what do I do? Just call Verizon and tell them I am changing SIMs but "In no way I want to change my current plan...."?
    Q: is there any downside in getting a new SIM? Can they lock me out of some features with a new SIM, but the old one does not have the restrictions? (I obviously don't know much about SIMs)

Q: How do I reset the APN settings? I checked online but it wasn't very helpful.

Here is some of what I have right now under Access Point Names - Verizon Internet (VZWINTERNET):
    Name - Verizon Internet
    APN - VZWINTERNET
    MMSC - Not set
    MCC - 311
    MNC - 480
    APN type - default, dun,supl
    Turn APN on/off - APN turned on.

only the (APN - VZWINTERNET) is editable; both (Add) and the (... -> Reset to default) are grayed out

Feedback Score
    hmm... I got the phone service working now

I was getting desperate - I was without phone service for 3 days - as a last resort I tried the WiFi Calling feature - it asked me to agree to some Terms of Service and to enter an emergency address for 911 calls - a few minutes later I got an SMS from Verizon saying:

"Congratulations! Your phone is now protected with Call Filter (free). With Call Filter you can ....."

My initial reaction was: yeah, I wish I can receive calls so that I can benefit from the Call Filter feature. But then it clicked - maybe it was the acceptance of the Terms of Service that triggered something. I checked and it was working - and it wasn't working just a few minutes earlier before trying to setup WiFi Calling. I highly doubt it was just a coincidence.

I checked the APN settings (I wrote all the old ones down) and nothing seems to have changed.

THANKS for your help!

the 10+ year old SIM might just have a little more life left in it

the only question left is: if I don't use the mmWave with my gUDP, I don't have to pay the $10/month extra, right?
    Is there anyway to ensure that the S21 never uses the mmWave bands? (this is the US S21 Unlocked so it has the mmWave hardware, I think)

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Triggering the Wi-Fi Calling probably applied the correct feature codes to get your VoLTE working. You fixed it all by yourself, heh.

You can't even add the necessary feature code to the GUDP to get mmWave anyway, so no need to worry. I don't know why they don't want to give the plan mmWave, even for an additional fee - they allow unlimited mobile hotspot on the premium plans - and nearly all GUDP customers are on $49.99 pricing...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I use the Samsung S21 5G with T-Mobile. I didn't have to tell them what model phone I was using, my prior calling plan switched over without any trouble as it detected my phone make/model automatically and 5G was enabled. I don't think you will have any issues. I don't pay any additional cost on my carrier. I suggest you either ask customer service at a retail location or online to better answer your concerns.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    The Verizon Galaxy S4 was not VoLTE capable, but SVDO (simultaneous voice and data over 3G). Even some S5s needed an OTA update, which is long gone now. Best to upgrade the SIM from that old stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by petreza View Post
    Q: so if it is not mmWave, I don't have to pay the $10?
    Verizon is not going to ever make you pay $10. You can CHOOSE to pay $10 if you want access to the UWB network. Verizon knows which plan you have and you won't get access to UWB. Nationwide 5G is available on every plan and I mean every plan even tiered data and prepaid gets nationwide 5G

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Verizon is not going to ever make you pay $10. You can CHOOSE to pay $10 if you want access to the UWB network. Verizon knows which plan you have and you won't get access to UWB. Nationwide 5G is available on every plan and I mean every plan even tiered data and prepaid gets nationwide 5G
    So... good job stating wrong info about a plan you so profoundly crusade against...?

You can't "CHOOSE to pay $10 if you want access to the UWB network" on a GUDP. It gets Nationwide 5G and that's it.

Now we know what it's like to just have to interject one's self into a convo but provide bad advice.