Thread: Problems Texting Android from iPhone

Device(s)
    Treo 600
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Problems Texting Android from iPhone

Any guidance for an iPhone 12 Pro Max unable to text Android Devices? My wife can use iMessage and text with a Google Voice number but all Android phones on any network fail with a message "Not Delivered"

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adamlmiller View Post
    Any guidance for an iPhone 12 Pro Max unable to text Android Devices? My wife can use iMessage and text with a Google Voice number but all Android phones on any network fail with a message "Not Delivered"

Thank you.
    try contacting Verizon to see if there's a text messaging service block active on your account

Feedback Score
    I had to disable iMessage and just use the basic Messages.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Sprint (personal phone) / AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    First, turn off Wi-Fi on the device and try that way -- just to ensure your home Wi-Fi isn't blocking anything with Wi-Fi calling (if enabled). I assume that's not the issue, but just trying some low hanging fruit first.

Go into SETTINGS > MESSAGES

About half way down are some settings to verify:
    SEND AS SMS -- make sure that is ON
    MMS Messaging - also should be ON
    Group Messaging -- Again, should be ON

Does that fix the problem?

If that doesn't fix the problem, let's temporarily turn iMessage OFF (topmost option in that same screen). Try texting again. Also, if the text doesn't go through, try texting a known iMessage user (it should go as green SMS since iMessage is off).

Does that work? If so, then turn iMessage back on, and try again after it activates (could take a few minutes). Try each iPhone and non-iPhone numbers (iMessages should again be blue, and SMS green).

If SMS still doesn't work, go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > RESET > RESET NETWORK SETTINGS, and you'll need to enter the phone passcode/password to continue. Try again after this. and see if it works. NOTE: You will need to log back into any saved Wi-Fi networks if you do this, so please be aware of that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I had to disable iMessage and just use the basic Messages.
    I think this is the answer.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Never forget that iPhones use iMessage and Android phones do not. Sending via SMS is definitely the answer for the OP.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Sprint (personal phone) / AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    iPhones only send via iMessage when the recipient (and if it's a group message, every recipient) are iMessage users. If any recipient is not an iMessage user, the message is sent as SMS/MMS automatically. There is no need to turn iMessage off, unless you simply prefer to always use SMS/MMS.

The issue the OP has seems to be a problem sending SMS/MMS -- so if they simply turn iMessage off, they might have no messaging capabilities. Something is amiss with their device or their account that is likely the cause.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When I worked for At&t CS, I assisted many customers traveling via cruise ships. We always recommended users turn off iMessage and roaming data.

iPhones can send messages via SMS to an Android phone with iMessage turned off. iPhones can send/rcv SMS/MMS through a wifi connection. I agree that their is likely a problem at the settings level. I suggest the OP tries to send to the Android phone with iMessage off.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had the same problem, disabling iMessage would work sometimes but not always. Was not consistent. I ended up using Whatsapp as it works all the time. Just got tired of messing with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    iPhones only send via iMessage when the recipient (and if it's a group message, every recipient) are iMessage users. If any recipient is not an iMessage user, the message is sent as SMS/MMS automatically. There is no need to turn iMessage off, unless you simply prefer to always use SMS/MMS.

The issue the OP has seems to be a problem sending SMS/MMS -- so if they simply turn iMessage off, they might have no messaging capabilities. Something is amiss with their device or their account that is likely the cause.
    That's the way it is supposed to work. I have two close relations who used to have an iPhone and now have an Android. My iPhone tried to send them a message via iMessage. I had to turn it off to send a text to either of them.

The way I discovered it was going into Photos and choosing one to send to them. It defaulted to iMessage every time for those two people.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Problems Texting Android from iPhone

The owner of the destination number who moved to Android needs to deregister from iMessage.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    However it can be an issue with someone who has never used an iPhone and never registered. That is my situation with several contacts.
    There is a setting in iMessage to allow SMS and even with that checked it can be problematical at times.
    With WhatsApp the receiver always receives, no issues.
    About half my contacts use iPhone and half android. I usually use android myself, but I never know if my SMS is getting thru to my iPhone contacts as so many of them don’t. So 3rd party is my solution and everybody I know uses what’s app anyway so no problems.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    The owner of the destination number who moved to Android needs to deregister from iMessage.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/
    That is annoying problem with apple is that when an iPhone users changes its number it does not get removed from iMessage. The easiest solution for the OP is to just disable iMessage but would advise the op to send the link to the numbers he is texting the link so they can deregister their cell numbers from iMessage.