Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cannot Activate An A405DL on T Mobile

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is not a 2G phone . It is 4G LTE, with VOLTE.
    Please read this article: https://www.cnet.com/products/alcate...e-tfala405dcp/ and please pay attention to the article title that it is 4g - CDMA phone
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Are you saying a GSM BYOP SIM can't be activated with a new number?
    Not exactly. I am saying if Tracfone knows it is going in a branded phone they will not allow you to activate a BYOP SIM (AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon) to go in it. So give no information that would let Tracfone know the phone is Tracfone branded.

Since Tracfone requires the (a) SIM number and (b) IMEI when activating a Branded Tracfone the assigned (c) phone number MIGHT also be connected to the fact it is a Tracfone branded phone.... but I do not know this for a fact.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Landngroove View Post
    I do not want to transfer. This will be a new activation.
    Most of what I said still applies.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Is that only if you talk or chat to a CSR? Because it appears that if you do a new activation on the website it only asks for the IMEI if you pick the VZW network, not if you have an ATT or TM sim.
    They could always, without notice, begin programming the system to ask for the IMEI. Someone would be the first to experience it happening. It is the risk you take when you set out to skirt the dumb TF rules. With TF you are never sure what the current rules are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    is the phone unlocked ??
    Doesn't matter one way or the other. A TF (or sub-brand) doesn't need to be unlocked if you're staying within the TF family of brands.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    They could always, without notice, begin programming the system to ask for the IMEI. Someone would be the first to experience it happening. It is the risk you take when you set out to skirt the dumb TF rules. With TF you are never sure what the current rules are.
    I understand TF seems to make up the rules as the situation suits, but what known rule would be skirted ? It's a TF, compatible on any network the bands support. Even with an imei requirement it should work. Based on my experience you can use a BYOP sim in a branded phone. You just don't get credit to unlock it. If you're staying with TF the unlock is moot.
    Last edited by rpz1; 04-09-2021 at 12:01 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Please read this article: https://www.cnet.com/products/alcate...e-tfala405dcp/ and please pay attention to the article title that it is 4g - CDMA phone
    Then the article title and some of the specs they list are wrong. The A405DL is "cdma-less", and is a 4G/LTE/VoLTE phone. It does not support EV-DO either.
    Actual specs: Data Transmission Type........GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+, LTE, VoLTE
    4G LTE Band...........12, 13, 2, 4, 5, 66
    GSM 2G Frequency
    1800, 1900, 850, 900
    4G LTE Frequency
    700, 850, 1700, 1900

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Tracfone has this same phone under all their brands even Simple Mobile. Even if you look deeper, the Verizon based Tracfone Alcatel MyFlip A405DL has the same FCC ID as the Simple Mobile Alcatel MyFlip A405DL too.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I understand TF seems to make up the rules as the situation suits, but what known rule would be skirted ?
    Tracfone has BYOP SIM`s and Branded phone SIM`s, each for its own intended purpose. Tracfone will not knowingly allow a BYOP SIM in any TF branded phone. If you get a CSR to do it, Tracfone holds you responsible for tricking the CSR into skirting the rules... with a CSR`s poor training it is easy to do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Tracfone has BYOP SIM`s and Branded phone SIM`s, each for its own intended purpose. Tracfone will not knowingly allow a BYOP SIM in any TF branded phone. If you get a CSR to do it, Tracfone holds you responsible for tricking the CSR into skirting the rules... with a CSR`s poor training it is easy to do.
    As I mentioned, "Based on my experience you can use a BYOP sim in a branded phone. You just don't get credit to unlock it." Their is no difference in the actual sim that comes in a new TF or a BYOP sim. The only difference is that the sim that comes in the new TF is prepaired and starts and maintains the service time for unlocking. If you use a BYOP sim, you just won't ever be able to unlock the phone.
    In my case it was after the initial activation with the sim that came in the phone. Later a BYOP sim was put in the phone, no problem, but I stopped getting credit for unlock. The OP already did the initial activation with the original sim. I didn't talk any CSR into anything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Were the reps asking for the IMEI number of the phone? That is the only way they would know it was originally for Verizon service. You should not have to give the IMEI in activating a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM, just the SIM number. You would think there should be a choice of carriers on a DL phone, but they usually don't allow it.
    I was able to activate it by using the "activate" on the Tracfone web sight. Only gave the sim number, not the imei. It works! Even have wifi calling. Thanks all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2