Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Activate An A405DL on T Mobile

Feedback Score

Cannot Activate An A405DL on T Mobile

Tried to activate an Alcatel A405DL, which I had previously used before on TF/VZ. It has been out of service for awhile, and I had removed it from my account. I changed the TF/VZ sim to a TF/TMO sim. I tried 3 times with TF reps, and 2 times with chat. to activate, and I was told this is a CDMA phone and would not work with T Mobile and had to use a TF/VZ sim. I thought a DL phone could work on any of the 3 carriers, or is this another case of TF reps not knowing the product?

Feedback Score
    It might be an IMEI issue. The IMEI is tied to the VZ sim. Then when TMO tries to do their IMEI check for device compatibility, the IMEI is not accessible. The phone is capable, but TMO can't do their check.

So you might have to reactivate on the VZ sim and then get chat to transfer the account to a TMO sim. That way, the IMEI gets some attention.

I am just speculating here. The phone is TF branded as well as the sims. There might be extra TF glue than if the phone were unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Were the reps asking for the IMEI number of the phone? That is the only way they would know it was originally for Verizon service. You should not have to give the IMEI in activating a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM, just the SIM number. You would think there should be a choice of carriers on a DL phone, but they usually don't allow it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    To the best of my knowledge, 2G phones cannot be activated in the US no matter what carrier. I know this phone has LTE capability, but if the billing system doesn't have the phone in their available database you won't get it activated. CDMA technology is pretty much a dead technology in the US.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, 2G phones cannot be activated in the US no matter what carrier. I know this phone has LTE capability, but if the billing system doesn't have the phone in their available database you won't get it activated. CDMA technology is pretty much a dead technology in the US.
    This is not a 2G phone . It is 4G LTE, with VOLTE. I tried to tell the reps that, but they just don't know product.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Were the reps asking for the IMEI number of the phone? That is the only way they would know it was originally for Verizon service. You should not have to give the IMEI in activating a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM, just the SIM number. You would think there should be a choice of carriers on a DL phone, but they usually don't allow it.
    Yes they asked for the IMEI. I also gave them the new TF/TMO sim number.
    I will try that. I will just give them the sim number.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You need to transfer service to a TF BYOP T-Mobile SIM so that they do not ask for the phones IMEI. Put the SIM in your online account and then activate it with a transfer from your current phone... all online, do not speak with anyone about what you are doing. Use chat ONLY to get your remaining airtime right before the transfer.

When they realize it is a branded phone they will ALWAYS ask for its IMEI. They will not knowingly allow a BYOP SIM in a branded phone so only give the SIM number online. Do not use a CSR.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    You need to transfer service to a TF BYOP T-Mobile SIM so that they do not ask for the phones IMEI.
    Are you saying a GSM BYOP SIM can't be activated with a new number?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    You need to transfer service to a TF BYOP T-Mobile SIM so that they do not ask for the phones IMEI. Put the SIM in your online account and then activate it with a transfer from your current phone... all online, do not speak with anyone about what you are doing. Use chat ONLY to get your remaining airtime right before the transfer.

When they realize it is a branded phone they will ALWAYS ask for its IMEI. They will not knowingly allow a BYOP SIM in a branded phone so only give the SIM number online. Do not use a CSR.
    I do not want to transfer. This will be a new activation.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking of doing the same with my inactive (originally on PPC) Flip. Mine was never unlocked because I early on swapped a TF/BYOP sim into it. Figure that even with it locked it should still be usable with any TF/Att or TM. Want to just see how ATT is i my area. I have an unused TF/Att BYOP sim. Somewhere I read you could stick an unactivated sim in it and if the sim wasn't compatible it would tell you: is that right? Then activate the sim with a new number on a cheap plan to test it.
    If it works I'd get one of those Ebay yearly deals and use it as a back-up.

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto E6/G7 Power/Z3 Play/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    TracFone has begun asking for an IMEI lately, even for TMO and AT&T SIMs. It is because TMO and AT&T don't want 3G phones activated anymore, and want to be sure the phone is VoLTE-capable.

If you give them the IMEI of a phone that originally came with a Verizon SIM (which all current TracFones do), they will say it is not compatable.

If the rep insists on an IMEI, you will need to provide one from some other (non-TracFone, non-Verizon) VoLTE-capable phone, then just put your new SIM in the TracFone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    TracFone has begun asking for an IMEI lately, even for TMO and AT&T SIMs. It is because TMO and AT&T don't want 3G phones activated anymore, and want to be sure the phone is VoLTE-capable.
    Is that only if you talk or chat to a CSR? Because it appears that if you do a new activation on the website it only asks for the IMEI if you pick the VZW network, not if you have an ATT or TM sim.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Landngroove View Post
    Yes they asked for the IMEI. I also gave them the new TF/TMO sim number.
    I will try that. I will just give them the sim number.
    The SIM # is a different number of digits than the IMEI. They are not interchangeable and due to the available sequence of digits, kind of like trying to make up a credit/debit card #. Only certain sequences of numbers can be used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Landngroove View Post
    Tried to activate an Alcatel A405DL, which I had previously used before on TF/VZ. It has been out of service for awhile, and I had removed it from my account. I changed the TF/VZ sim to a TF/TMO sim. I tried 3 times with TF reps, and 2 times with chat. to activate, and I was told this is a CDMA phone and would not work with T Mobile and had to use a TF/VZ sim. I thought a DL phone could work on any of the 3 carriers, or is this another case of TF reps not knowing the product?
    is the phone unlocked ??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast