Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Should I get a new phone before the transition to TMo?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0

    Should I get a new phone before the transition to TMo?

    Apologies in advance if my questions have been answered in another thread. I did look around and found some interesting an relevant stuff, but nothing that answers my primary question directly.

    My wife and I have had a Sprint account since 1999. She currently has an iPhone 11 and I have a Moto G6 (open market). We currently pay our bill using the sprint.com site, so I'm thinking we have not transitioned to TMo yet. We're on Sprint's 55+ plan, so two lines with unlimited everything costs just a bit over $90 per month.

    We're generally happy with our service, but I'm about due for a replacement phone; the G6 is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm not sure what to do. Should I get a new phone? Sprint or TMo? Will I have to transition to TMo? Will our account change? Will my wife's service change? And so on.

    I just took a spin over at sprint.com and noticed that I'm being offered 2 free TMo sims; one for each of our phones. Is this something I should consider? Or is this off topic?

    My plan has been to just wait until I'm forced to transition to TMo and then update devices, plans, etc. at that time, thinking I might get a better deal that way. Should I continue to hang tough with my G6 and wait for this?

    Sorry for all the questions. I do appreciate any help from those of you in the know.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,999
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Don't forget that even if you accept the offer for free SIM cards it won't prevent you from upgrading your phones later. Since you have the Sprint 55+ plan, you should qualify the the T-Mobile Magenta 55 plan. I have had that plan since March 2020 with 2 lines of service. All fees are inclusive and the total monthly cost is $70 for both lines of service.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Don't forget that even if you accept the offer for free SIM cards it won't prevent you from upgrading your phones later. Since you have the Sprint 55+ plan, you should qualify the the T-Mobile Magenta 55 plan. I have had that plan since March 2020 with 2 lines of service. All fees are inclusive and the total monthly cost is $70 for both lines of service.
    Good point, I'll keep that in mind.

    What about getting a new phone? Should I tough it out or get one, even though my wife is perfectly happy with hers now and I wouldn't want to mess up her service. Seems like getting a new phone right now could introduce some complexity I'd rather avoid -- but Bluetooth and Wifi are on my phone now seem to be failing, so there's that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,999
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    When I first transitioned, I had a Samsung S9+ and an original iPhone SE, both branded Sprint. T Mobile mailed me 2 SIM cards and I transferred my phone #'s/new SIM cards myself in very little time. No need to go to a local store. Both phones were previously on Sprint and transitioned with no problems. Since then, I upgraded to a Samsung S21 5G and the new iPhone SE 2020. My experience was very favorable and trouble free. In my market, I got better coverage on T Mobile than on Sprint.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,982
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dfwsprintpcs View Post
    What about getting a new phone? Should I tough it out or get one, even though my wife is perfectly happy with hers now and I wouldn't want to mess up her service. Seems like getting a new phone right now could introduce some complexity I'd rather avoid -- but Bluetooth and Wifi are on my phone now seem to be failing, so there's that.
    They may not allow a phone change on a 2 line Sprint account, without changing over to a T-Mobile account. The Moto G6 is not a good candidate, as it does not have LTE Band 71 for T-Mobile. B71 is important in areas that have signal issues because of distance, terrain, buildings, etc. The iPhone 11 should be fine.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    They may not allow a phone change on a 2 line Sprint account, without changing over to a T-Mobile account. The Moto G6 is not a good candidate, as it does not have LTE Band 71 for T-Mobile. B71 is important in areas that have signal issues because of distance, terrain, buildings, etc. The iPhone 11 should be fine.
    Very interesting about B71. I'd never heard of that, and I don't see references to that when I go looking for an "open market" phone. Maybe that means the next time I buy a phone, I need to buy it from a TMo store? I'd be looking for a 5G capable phone, since TMo is claiming 5G coverage in my area (Dallas/Ft. Worth).

    The primary thing stopping me from changing over is signal strength and coverage. My service with Sprint is pretty good; I don't have any complaints. If I move our account to TMo (and get a better phone), will I be sorry? A few years back TMo was not a particularly good choice in this area, and I've seen reports here that phones don't necessarily roam freely between TMo an Sprint towers, so I may not be able to "get the best of both worlds".

    Of course, I have the option of sticking with my current phone and "Sprint" service until I'm forced to change. In that case, I miss out on TMo's better 55+ rate and I have to contend with obsolete and slowly failing G6.

    Great, helpful information here. Thanks very much!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    121
    Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    0
    @dfwsorintpcs and all,

    The supported bands for any phone can be found in the phone’s technical specifications - regardless of manufacturer such as Apple, Samsung, et al. Beyond 4G LTE and 5G, the band support details do not have a marketing value or bling for average consumers.

    At least for US phones, you will not find Band 71 listed in the iPhone X, 8 and older phones specifications.

    Looking at the specs for newer iPhones (e.g., starting with iPhone XR and newer), you would see Band 71 listed.

    I am a legacy Sprint customer for 22 continuous years but my iPhone X which does not have band 71 (and no 5G).

    Anyway, I am contemplating and hoping to add a new free line (#6) and an inexpensive 5G Android phone as a secondary phone. This new phone will be activated on T-Mo, but I understand that I will stay on as legacy Sprint customer until there is full integration.

    My T-Mo (TNX) coverage is poor (2 Mbps down and 0.15 up outdoors) and my Sprint coverage was much better (3 Mbps down, 1 up) in comparison but still marginal to poor.

    My objectives are to determine if there is usable 4G LTE coverage with B71, and whether 5G service is functional and usable. Otherwise, I will hang onto Sprint, albeit with TNX with option to revert back to Sprint SIM, for my first 5 phones/lines.

    I have no interest in causing or encouraging other family members to upgrade unless I know with certainty that the service exists, usable and reliable. If not, we just hang on keeping other options open.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,982
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    My objectives are to determine if there is usable 4G LTE coverage with B71, and whether 5G service is functional and usable. Otherwise, I will hang onto Sprint, albeit with TNX with option to revert back to Sprint SIM, for my first 5 phones/lines.
    I don't have T-Mobile service, anymore, so not knowing if B71 was an improvement. The coverage was not so good in my area then, and they had not yet activated B71. Others have reported it does increase coverage, but not at very good speeds. Problem in my area is there is a lack of Sprint and T-Mobile towers much outside of town, even on one of the main highways. Difficult terrain with lots of hills and trees. Bottom line is I would never use that service network. Verizon has deteriorated the last couple of years, but you can get usable signal most anywhere.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post

    My objectives are to determine if there is usable 4G LTE coverage with B71, and whether 5G service is functional and usable. Otherwise, I will hang onto Sprint, albeit with TNX with option to revert back to Sprint SIM, for my first 5 phones/lines.
    I'm interested in your findings. I'm also monitoring this thread: "converting-to-T-Mobile-lots-of-questions" (I'm not allowed to post links because I haven't posted enough here.)

    It seems like my best option, at least for now, is to hang on to my G6 as long as it continues to be reasonably functional. If TMo's coverage and speed were adequate around here, then switching would seem to be the right choice. I don't have a good feeling about that right now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    480
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dfwsprintpcs View Post
    Apologies in advance if my questions have been answered in another thread. I did look around and found some interesting an relevant stuff, but nothing that answers my primary question directly.

    My wife and I have had a Sprint account since 1999. She currently has an iPhone 11 and I have a Moto G6 (open market). We currently pay our bill using the sprint.com site, so I'm thinking we have not transitioned to TMo yet. We're on Sprint's 55+ plan, so two lines with unlimited everything costs just a bit over $90 per month.

    We're generally happy with our service, but I'm about due for a replacement phone; the G6 is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm not sure what to do. Should I get a new phone? Sprint or TMo? Will I have to transition to TMo? Will our account change? Will my wife's service change? And so on.

    I just took a spin over at sprint.com and noticed that I'm being offered 2 free TMo sims; one for each of our phones. Is this something I should consider? Or is this off topic?

    My plan has been to just wait until I'm forced to transition to TMo and then update devices, plans, etc. at that time, thinking I might get a better deal that way. Should I continue to hang tough with my G6 and wait for this?

    Sorry for all the questions. I do appreciate any help from those of you in the know.
    The iPhone 11 works for both GSM and CDMA. So, if your wife doesn’t want to change her phone, she can put in the new T-mobile SIM card in her current phone. That’s assuming that you’ve had Sprint unlock the phone for domestic use with other networks.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    121
    Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dfwsprintpcs View Post
    I'm interested in your findings. I'm also monitoring this thread: "converting-to-T-Mobile-lots-of-questions" (I'm not allowed to post links because I haven't posted enough here.)

    It seems like my best option, at least for now, is to hang on to my G6 as long as it continues to be reasonably functional. If TMo's coverage and speed were adequate around here, then switching would seem to be the right choice. I don't have a good feeling about that right now.
    I posted on the T-Mobile sub forum - trying to determine if B71 is useful and whether there is a correlation with T-Mo Home availability and the presence of B71.

    See “Next Uncarrier Announcement: April 7th” in T-Mobile sub forum in case anyone responds to my inquiry.

    If there is, then jumping to T-Mo’s TNX may not solve anything unless you know that B71 is available. Maybe check cellmapper.net to see how close a B71 tower is to you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    The iPhone 11 works for both GSM and CDMA. So, if your wife doesn’t want to change her phone, she can put in the new T-mobile SIM card in her current phone. That’s assuming that you’ve had Sprint unlock the phone for domestic use with other networks.
    My wife's phone should be unlocked. I bought it from Best Buy, paid for it in full at that time, and told them specifically that I wanted it unlocked. I've always assumed that it would transfer right over to TMo. But it's worth checking on that. Thank you.

    My question really is with TMo's service until they're fully "integrated" (whatever that might mean). If I knew it was better than Sprint's in my area, I'd be open to just switching my two-phone now and get a new phone for myself. But, if I wait, maybe there will be a sweeter deal to convert?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    I posted on the T-Mobile sub forum - trying to determine if B71 is useful and whether there is a correlation with T-Mo Home availability and the presence of B71.

    See “Next Uncarrier Announcement: April 7th” in T-Mobile sub forum in case anyone responds to my inquiry.

    If there is, then jumping to T-Mo’s TNX may not solve anything unless you know that B71 is available. Maybe check cellmapper.net to see how close a B71 tower is to you.
    I've subscribed to the TMo thread. Thanks for the tip.

    If I'm using cellmapper.net right, then there does not seem to be any 5G service near me, nor is there a B71 tower. I'll look around some more and maybe take a run up the the nearby TMo store to see what they tell me.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2011, 03:37 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 08:55 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 11:26 PM
  4. Should I get a New phone
    By firefly33 in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 10:56 AM
  5. Should I get a new phone?
    By DjPiLL in forum Sprint
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2002, 11:22 AM

Bookmarks