Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: No more SIM swapping between phones on PagePlus ...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I've seen other reviews on Amazon on varies phones with deceptive advertising. Seems like Amazon is no safer then Ebay if the item ships from an Amazon reseller. There are at least 2 different US versions of the X4.
    Things are in a big change of flux with all the carriers right now.
    Thanks there for that extra advise! A family member warned us, "Do not buy a used phone; only buy a new phone". People on this forum and some other sources also advised, "Get an unlocked phone!" Use both of these advisories together to avoid, if not eliminate, troubles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Thanks there for that extra advise! A family member warned us, "Do not buy a used phone; only buy a new phone". People on this forum and some other sources also advised, "Get an unlocked phone!" Use both of these advisories together to avoid, if not eliminate, troubles.
    I believe Amazon (but Idk) will be repeating their deal with TF around BF. I got a New Factory Unlocked Moto G Stylus 2020 for $132 otd. Like this $299 retail - Amazon instant $100 discount to $199. Then Amazon $100 GC with $15 TF airtime + taxes. So around $132 otd.

I'd wait till late November.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Feedback Score
    I've seen other reviews on Amazon on varies phones with deceptive advertising. Seems like Amazon is no safer then Ebay if the item ships from an Amazon reseller. There are at least 2 different US versions of the X4.
    I assume this one wasn't deceptive since it probably(?) did work with Verizon at the time it was sold. Maybe if I had let it pair to a Verizon/PP SIM before it would still be grandfathered in now.

There's a review on there from around July 2021 saying the person had 3 of them working fine on ATT for 7 months and then suddenly ATT told them they will soon need to get different phones since the X4 will no longer be supported.

Mine was brand-new less than a year ago, sold by Amazon itself, and is the unlocked Amazon Alexa version.

In the Verizon site's community forum, there's a thread started around 2018 or 19 about compatible BYOD phones. A Verizon rep posted a small list at the time. Various high and low-end Motorolas are on it. X4 isn't. So maybe Verizon allowed x4 on there in the past but they weren't officially supported, and now since they're not on there they won't work now, or at least no new ones can be used even with a swapped SIM. Or maybe it's just mine.

I can understand a phone not on the list not being allowed to be formally activated. But to swap an already active SIM in and it work for two days and then doesn't is something else, and weird.

Of 10 or so used unlocked x4 for sale listings I clicked on that show the IMEI, all 10 show compatible in the Verizon and PP checkers, like mine did. Makes me wonder if they will work more than two days in actual use on there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    The key to used phones, especially those listed as factory unlocked is doing your due diligence on exact manufacturing part numbers, not just model numbers. And UPC codes. And pressing the seller with questions. I've had good success (knock on wood) with used phones. There's a slew of phones on Ebay now that claim to be factory unlocked but the numbers don't align and the sellers are reluctant to give straight answers. Some sellers think unlocked means having a clear imei.
    You can buy a new unlocked phone on Ebay and still get burnt. You can likely return it but it's the hassle.
    Add to your advice of new and unlocked, "direct from the manufacturer", and you should be safe. Or even direct from Amazon and not an Amazon reseller.

I'm currently in Ebay conversation with a seller of a factory unlocked E6 in excellent condition. It's originally a Visible phone but my understanding is Visible phones are factory unlocked. And all the numbers do align. It's a great price so I may bite.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    This started around 3 months ago.

https://www.visible.com/help/device-unlocking-policy

Smartphones that you purchase from Visible will be locked for 60 days after activation. After 60 days, we will automatically remove the lock unless we have determined or suspect that the device was lost, stolen, or purchased fraudulently.

Once the 60 day period following device activation expires, your phone will be unlocked.

Also: https://www.visible.com/newsroom/new...ng-our-members

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    This started around 3 months ago.

https://www.visible.com/help/device-unlocking-policy

Smartphones that you purchase from Visible will be locked for 60 days after activation. After 60 days, we will automatically remove the lock unless we have determined or suspect that the device was lost, stolen, or purchased fraudulently.

Once the 60 day period following device activation expires, your phone will be unlocked.

Also: https://www.visible.com/newsroom/new...ng-our-members
    Thanks for the info Boz. What I was referring to is that their models are the factory unlocked ones. Not that they don't put their own lock on it for a time. The seller confirmed it's been Visible unlocked and they've used it since on ATT. Do you know if Visible puts their own bloatware on? But a I assume a factory reset should clear all that out right?
    I'm still waffling on the E6 or E. Just don't like the size of the E, an extra 1/2" is allot coming from my E4.
    The the E4 is great, maybe I'll hang on till my apps aren't supported anymore on 7.1.1.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info Boz. What I was referring to is that their models are the factory unlocked ones. Not that they don't put their own lock on it for a time. The seller confirmed it's been Visible unlocked and they've used it since on ATT. Do you know if Visible puts their own bloatware on? But a I assume a factory reset should clear all that out right?
    I'm still waffling on the E6 or E. Just don't like the size of the E, an extra 1/2" is allot coming from my E4.
    The the E4 is great, maybe I'll hang on till my apps aren't supported anymore on 7.1.1.
    Ah, now I understand what you meant. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

As far as I know, Visible doesn't, or at least didn't used to, put any special bloatware on the phones they sell.

I still use my E4 when mowing. Sadly, at this point, my other E4, new-in-box, will probably never be used. $30 down the drain. Sigh...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Sadly, at this point, my other E4, new-in-box, will probably never be used. $30 down the drain. Sigh...
    LOL...same here. I think we both bought ours back when Walmart had that closeout. It was your post back then that had me search out a Walmart in my area. Thanks for that. Great phone. I bought 2 there and already had one. If it had band 71 I'd try my NIB on T-Mobile which is a must have band for them in my area. I did use the battery from it for one of my other in service E4s.

Feedback Score
    FYI

As of today PP SIM swapping between phones worked for me with no interaction with PP - just moved the SIM from one phone to another.

Will PP/Verizon flag this and mess up my service tomorrow, next week, next month? TBD. For now it is fully working.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    FYI

As of today PP SIM swapping between phones worked for me with no interaction with PP - just moved the SIM from one phone to another.

Will PP/Verizon flag this and mess up my service tomorrow, next week, next month? TBD. For now it is fully working.
    Mine have been swapped for several years. That's always what they tell you to do if the phones you're changing to or swapping between are compatible phones. No need to contact them. If they do decide to change things hopefully what it's in when they do should be ok since the new reference point will be whatever's showing at that time. I don't think PP would have a history of what the sim was in before to go back to since their system auto updates the imei/sim pairing. I've also been told several times that there's zero difference in a BYOP sim and the sim that comes in a TF family branded phone except keeping the imei/sim match for unlocking. I've activated a branded phone with a BYOP sim because I didn't care about unlocking. And swapped branded phone sims with byop sims. No problem.
    It's my understanding that even on Verizon itself you can swap sims and their system auto updates the pairing. They just recommend contacting them to assure phone compatibility and save CS from getting calls if the new phone isn't working right due to incompatibility.
    PP kept many of the rules they had before TF acquired them. If there is a change in the PP swap policy it will likely come down from the managers of TF, not Verizon itself. What may come down from Verizon is dump PagePlus from the TF family.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3