Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No more SIM swapping between phones on PagePlus ...

Feedback Score
    I tried swapping a SIM earlier today and got a message on the new phone that I had to put the SIM back into the phone it was activated in. It's a Tracfone SIM on PP per-minute plan. At least on my line with a Tracfone SIM it won't let me swap.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade00 View Post
    I tried swapping a SIM earlier today and got a message on the new phone that I had to put the SIM back into the phone it was activated in. It's a Tracfone SIM on PP per-minute plan. At least on my line with a Tracfone SIM it won't let me swap.
    Wow! If I'm understanding what you mean correctly, it seems that TF (the whole company) has degraded a GOOD feature of PPC to match the WORSE functionality of the rest of their Vzw MVNOs INSTEAD OF changing the rest of the TF Vzw MVNOs to match the BETTER functionality of PPC!

I'd be interested to know if this is a one-off, or if others using PPC start experiencing the same.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Was this message a prompt that appeared directly on the receiving phone or was it a message through an SMS text or email from Page Plus?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Was this message a prompt that appeared directly on the receiving phone or was it a message through an SMS text or email from Page Plus?
    It was a recorded message when I tried to make a call with the second phone.

Feedback Score
    It was a recorded message when I tried to make a call with the second phone.

Sucks if simple swaps have gone away with PPC. We've been spoiled. Maybe all TF is gearing up for Verizon since there won't be swapping with them.

Feedback Score
    It's probably not about the SIM being labeled Tracfone. It's common for the other TF brands to come with a SIM labeled Tracfone. My Straight Talk phone came with a TF SIM. After terminating the ST account I activated the SIM on PP paygo. I did swap it between phones while on PP a few times 8 months ago with no problem. It is now in a different phone from the one it was activated in. That was then. This is now.

Thanks for this heads up about a change in PP SIM swapping. I wonder if you left it in the new phone for a while if it would pair with the new phone.

Feedback Score
    Ok, I did 2 chats today. Both said you can still sim swap and the system will auto update the imei/sim pairing. One said the issue for the phone that got the message could be an incompatible phone. The Other said maybe the phone didn't recognize the sim.
    @Shade00, what phone model and model number were you trying ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Ok, I did 2 chats today. Both said you can still sim swap and the system will auto update the imei/sim pairing. One said the issue for the phone that got the message could be an incompatible phone. The Other said maybe the phone didn't recognize the sim.
    @Shade00, what phone model and model number were you trying ?
    Could be, the second phone I was trying was a Schok Classic, which is Verizon certified.

Feedback Score
    Could be, the second phone I was trying was a Schok Classic, which is Verizon certified.
    Where did you see it was Verizon certified? Was it ever used on Verizon to be unlocked? Any I see on line say unlocked GSM.

Only one I found that said Verizon was a PrePaid one. Which begs the question; did you ever use it on Verizon?

Feedback Score
    Where did you see it was Verizon certified? Was it ever used on Verizon to be unlocked? Any I see on line say unlocked GSM.

Only one I found that said Verizon was a PrePaid one. Which begs the question; did you ever use it on Verizon?
    Yes, the phone has been used on different Verizon SIM before. It supports all Verizon brands and a few months ago they released an update that allowed it to work on Verizon.

Regardless, apologies for getting the thread worked up but based on the above comments I fished out a Nuu F4L and swapped the PP SIM in there. I successfully made a call from it. Did not intend to mislead.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the phone has been used on different Verizon SIM before. It supports all Verizon brands and a few months ago they released an update that allowed it to work on Verizon.

Regardless, apologies for getting the thread worked up but based on the above comments I fished out a Nuu F4L and swapped the PP SIM in there. I successfully made a call from it. Did not intend to mislead.
    No problem, just an issue you encountered with a unique phone. Gave me something to investigate.
    Good you confirmed with the Nuu.
    Keep in mind most compatible phones will work with a sim swap on any Vzw carrier. It's a matter of if you'll have issues down the line if the imei/sim pairing isn't proper. If you're planning to keep it in the Nuu, you can give it a couple days and do a chat to confirm the imei and sim re-pairing occurred. You can give them the last 4 of the imei and sim and they'll confirm that's what their data base shows.

Feedback Score
    I got that message too. Did the 3g to 4g upgrade on PP. Wanted to use a no-carrier, factory unlocked Moto X4 bought new last year. In the past, I put someone else's 4g PP SIM in it for a few hours to make sure it worked, and when I first got it I had to activate it on Tracfone for 30 days to get a rebate on it. That all worked fine, and it basically sat on a shelf for 9 months since.

Verizon and PP checkers showed as compatible, until actually trying to activate it with my 3g to 4g plan upgrade. They said they couldn't activate it. The first rep mentioned something about Simple Mobile. Not sure if he said it was locked to it or what. He seemed kind of new, and not being able to activate it was a surprise, so I called back later, planning on activating with a different phone I know would work since I used it for a different 3g to 4g upgrade activation months ago for someone else and then recently that PP phone number was ported to RedPocket Mobile and the phone is being used on there.

Second call, different rep, I asked them to try the first phone again, they said there are errors and it won't work. I asked if it shows anything about Simple Mobile, he said no. I had them activate my new 4g SIM with the other no-carrier, factory unlocked phone and it was fine.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

I swapped the SIM into the Moto X4, it was fine. For two days. Then, I assume it finally paired up with the SIM, it shows a signal, but when trying to make a call the robot voice immediately starts and says this is not the phone originally activated please put the SIM in the other phone. And now both Verizon and PP IMEI checkers say the phone doesn't have Volte and isn't compatible. If I check the IMEIs of some random Moto X4s listed for sale on the internet, they show compatible.

One thing I'm kicking myself for that may not matter is when I first put the PP SIM into the X4, a window popped up asking for a 4-digit PP code to update something. I tried my account code, didn't work. I figured it's probably just an update for SMS like happened on a couple other phones I activated for people on other networks recently, so I pressed cancel on the update window and have never seen it again.

When the Moto X4 started doing the robot voice when trying to make a call, I reset the network settings on the phone, and it worked again for two or so days before getting the robot voice again. Now I did a full phone reset, put the SIM back in, and still immediate robot voice telling me put the SIM into the other phone.
    ----------------------------------------

Also, when my new (and only since I had 3g before) SIM isn't in the Moto X4, I've had it in a 2015 or so older phone that was originally used on US Cellular and the checkers showed as compatible until I put the SIM in. That phone has worked for 5 days, though now the Verizon checker says "oops, looks like your device is no longer supported on our network," and the PP checker says "This phone is already activated." Literally days before putting the SIM in it, both VZ and PP checkers said it's compatible.

I talked to a Verizon rep, and he said the X4 was probably supported before but apparently just isn't now. He said similar happened to an iPhone model recently, that they no longer are allowed or whatever.

Now I mainly wonder if the Moto X4 not working after apparently pairing up after two days is if it's somehow paired to Tracfone since it was activated and used on Tracfone for 30 days when I first got it. My X4 says compatible on the T-mobile checker btw. My next step is to call Tracfone and see what they say.
    Last edited by FM7; 11-02-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FM7 View Post
    I got that message too..................................
    I think you have other issues. Just did a chat, nothings changed:

Thank you for visiting Page Plus today. How may I help you?
    Jefferson: Thank you for visiting Page Plus Cellular.
    Jefferson: Hi Rip.
    Jefferson: In case the chat gets disconnected, you may provide me an alternate phone number where we could call you back. It is optional.
    Jefferson: How may I assist you?
    You: Can someone still just swap their PP sim to a new compatible phone and your system will auto update the imei/sim pairing and phone number and balance will remain the same?
    Jefferson: That is correct, as long as the new phone would be compatible with Page Plus.
    You: ok, it was done before and I want to make sure that's still your policy when I get a new phone.
    Jefferson: Yes, it is still a valid process.
    You: I don't need to contact you to change the imei/sim pairing, it will all be automatic and everything will work, correct?
    Jefferson: It is not necessary to contact us. The IMEI is updated automatically after you complete the first call with the new phone.
    You: Ok, thank you !

Feedback Score
    I think you have other issues. Just did a chat, nothings changed:

You: Can someone still just swap their PP sim to a new compatible phone and your system will auto update the imei/sim pairing and phone number and balance will remain the same?
    Jefferson: That is correct, as long as the new phone would be compatible with Page Plus.
    Correct. "Compatible phone." I assume my issue is the Moto X4 is not shown on Verizon's BYOD supported page. Even though old devices from 2013 or so are on there and things like Moto E4 and E5 are on there. My old Moto X Play is listed on there, and it's been working even though the Verizon checker a week ago before I put the SIM in it said it will work and now after using it for days it says it won't work, but it's working.

On the Amazon dot com factory unlocked Moto X4 listing, there are reviews saying they can't get it to work on Verizon, and that employees at Verizon stores have told them it's not compatible, and other reviews say it works fine on Verizon.

I contacted Tracfone to see if my activating my X4 on there for 30 days 9 months ago to ATT Tracfone somehow pair locked it to ATT or Tracfone, but the Tracfone person said they can only help with Tracfone accounts, which of course I haven't had for the last 9 months. I thought they could look up the IMEI quick and see if it shows anything, but they wouldn't or couldn't do it.

If nothing else, this is a warning to others on compatibility. They might put their SIM into a phone and it works fine, as my factory unlocked Moto X4 did. But it only worked for two days, and now apparently it's a paperweight for Verizon and Page Plus.

Before this, my X4 showed compatible on Verizon and PP IMEI checkers. I might have sold that phone to someone, they would put their SIM in it to test before buying and it would have worked, and then two days later they'd say it doesn't work and we'd both think the other person was pulling a scam.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FM7 View Post
    On the Amazon dot com factory unlocked Moto X4 listing, there are reviews saying they can't get it to work on Verizon, and that employees at Verizon stores have told them it's not compatible, and other reviews say it works fine on Verizon.
    I've seen other reviews on Amazon on varies phones with deceptive advertising. Seems like Amazon is no safer then Ebay if the item ships from an Amazon reseller. There are at least 2 different US versions of the X4.
    Things are in a big change of flux with all the carriers right now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast