Thread: app in widgets list not a widget and not put onto homescreen

Feedback Score

app in widgets list not a widget and not put onto homescreen

Is that the way things are on Android? Widgets list shows an app or widget but if the app there is not really a widget then user cannot put onto homescreen?

I already tried this, hoping to put the Contacts app (because found it listed in the Widgets list) but it would not be placed there; even after repeated tries. On the other hand, I took as a different one to try, the analog clock widget, and putting it onto the home screen did work.

I wonder, does the listing of widgets on the devices contain apps which are not widgets, and therefore by some o.s. planning, will not allow the non-widget app appearing in the widgets list, to be placed onto homescreen?

About the Contacts app: I really don't care about putting this "app" on the homescreen. It is not on the homescreen. What the main point is , I wanted to see how to put a widget onto the homescreen. The choice could be any widget.

Feedback Score
    I don't understand the issue. I have only widgets on my home and second screen just the way I want

Feedback Score
    I tried to put an item listed as a widget onto the home screen but the movement to home screen failed.

I tried to put a different item listed as a widget onto the home screen and the movement to home screen was successful.

My interest was not about putting "apps" onto the homescreen; but just about putting "WIDGETS" onto the homescreen.
    I figured that if something is listed in the widgets list, then I should have no trouble placing it onto the homescreen, but when trying, some chosen items would be placed there and some chosen items could not be placed there.

So does this mean for example, when Contacts is shown in the widgets list, it is NOT any kind of widget and then if it is not a widget, why is it in the list of widgets. The analog clock is shown in the list of widgets and it CAN be moved onto the homescreen. What is happening?

Feedback Score
    you have to assign a contact to a contact widget. it should show you the steps as you go. extremely simple process

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hellcatt View Post
    you have to assign a contact to a contact widget. it should show you the steps as you go. extremely simple process
    That was probably the kind of misunderstanding I made. Android has no Contacts WIDGET; but only allows for WIDGET for specific contacts. This exercise seems finished for now.