Thread: What is the cause for not picking public hotspot on LG phone?

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score

What is the cause for not picking public hotspot on LG phone?

What is the cause for not picking public hotspot on LG phone?
    ============================================

Thanks for replies to my posting. My LG Tribute HD was working well with Xfinitywifi public hotspot.

3 months ago, my phone stopped picking Xfinitywifi public hotspot. I know this LG Tribute HD is 2.4G device.

I find the 5G devices are still picking Xfinitywifi public hotspot.

I did not see xfinitywifi as available wifi list on my 2.4G phone. Even if I go close to hotspot, it is not picking or showing Xfinitywifi public hotspot.

When discussed with xfinity tech support, they said it an issue with my device. He said the hotspot close to my home broadcast 2,4G & 5G.

I am puzzled with weird behavior

What is the issue causing this?

If you have a 2.4G android , could you check, whether you can connect to Xfinitywifi public hotspot?

Thanks for your guidance.
    Thanks for sharing.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know this is could hard thing to figure out because it could be a number of things from what I have seen in the past. It could be a setting on that hotspot to the device.

I will start listing things that I have seen on the access point side. If the 2.4GHz and 5GHz has the same name, sometimes the router is trying to force the device to go to 5GHz over 2.4GHz even if the device does not have 5GHz. Then some routers have a setting to force devices to use one 802.11 protocol like if you have an 802.11ax access point, you can have it set to only allow 802.11ax devices and block 802.11n/g/b devices.

Here is some of the device side issue, but since I do not have that phone to know if these settings are there. Some devices have suspicious network setting that might block it. Then there is some devices might have software block open WiFi access points and only let secure access points connect.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMDHoward View Post
    What is the cause for not picking public hotspot on LG phone? ============================================ Thanks for replies to my posting. My LG Tribute HD was working well with Xfinitywifi public hotspot. 3 months ago, my phone stopped picking Xfinitywifi public hotspot. I know this LG Tribute HD is 2.4G device. I find the 5G devices are still picking Xfinitywifi public hotspot. I did not see xfinitywifi as available wifi list on my 2.4G phone. Even if I go close to hotspot, it is not picking or showing Xfinitywifi public hotspot. When discussed with xfinity tech support, they said it an issue with my device. He said the hotspot close to my home broadcast 2,4G & 5G. I am puzzled with weird behavior What is the issue causing this? If you have a 2.4G android , could you check, whether you can connect to Xfinitywifi public hotspot? Thanks for your guidance. Thanks for sharing.
    does your phone have trouble connecting to any other public wifi hotspots such as your local library fast food place or dept store ??

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for weighing in.

I am able to connect to other hotspots like walmart, MCD, BK, public library etc. Me too wondering, why xfinityfiwi acting like this.

It is connecting to my home wifi.My home router has 5G, 2.4G as separate broadcast name.

I am not sure, why xfinity has same name for 5G & 2.4G

Thanks for your guidance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMDHoward View Post
    Thanks for weighing in. I am able to connect to other hotspots like walmart, MCD, BK, public library etc. Me too wondering, why xfinityfiwi acting like this. It is connecting to my home wifi.My home router has 5G, 2.4G as separate broadcast name. I am not sure, why xfinity has same name for 5G & 2.4G Thanks for your guidance.
    check your phone to see if it has any other apps that help manage wifi hotspots, some AT&T phones have them preinstalled. maybe you need to install their app in order to connect to xfinity WIFI.