Thread: Phone switches between bands 13 and 66

Feedback Score

Phone switches between bands 13 and 66

Hi.. first post.. have a question and hope someone can lend some advice..

I live pretty much in the woods but have good cell signal (Verizon).

I have a cell tower near me (PCI 216). I am able to get band 66 and 13. Band 13 signal strength is avg -87dbm in the house where band 66 is avg strength is-112dbm in the house.

My question is, why does the phone switch from band 13 to a much weaker band 66 signal with the phone stationary. It constantly switches with no ryme or reason.

This occurred on my galaxy s9 and now my pixel4a 5g. In the pixel I set the Adaptive Connectivity to off with no help..

Some folks have said this may be because I have competing towers near me. I could see that if the difference in signal strength was like + or - 2 or 3 dbm but we are talking a 10+ dbm signal strength difference.

Is there a way to make a phone lock on to one band when at home and then reverse that when I leave the house?

Any suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Because that’s how Verizon sets up the network. Band 66 is a wider capacity/speed band compared to band 13 which is a coverage band and its narrower. So the network will park you on band 66 because it’s available. The network is set up so you only connect to band 13 (as the primary band) when nothing else is available. Band 13, despite having better range than band 66, has less speed and capacity.

You also have to look at carrier aggregation, you may be connected to both bands but it only shows one. This can be deceptive, for instance you may only have one bar of service but you can still have speeds over 100 Mbps because it’s only showing the signal strength of the primary band and not the bands that it is aggregated with.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score

Hi and appreciate the quick reply and info. Now I understand. That explains why (with WiFi off) I get 70ish Mbps down with only 1 or 2 bars on 66. Thanks again.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power, Moto G Stylus, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, Tracfone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    You also have to look at carrier aggregation, you may be connected to both bands but it only shows one.
    Is this why I sometimes see LTE+ instead of plain LTE when on band 13? Is that indicating aggregation?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steverap View Post
    Hi and appreciate the quick reply and info. Now I understand. That explains why (with WiFi off) I get 70ish Mbps down with only 1 or 2 bars on 66. Thanks again.
    Yeah. Bars don’t really mean anything anymore because of carrier aggregation. It only shows the primary bands signal strength. I have had plenty of full bar speed tests fail and 1 bar speed tests hit over 200. I actually wouldn’t complain if the bars went away all together in service and the phone could just say LTE, or 4G, or whatever else the technology is and then just say no service when you have no signal at all.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo