Thread: Issues sending and receiving US texts with PC Mobile

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 4XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Issues sending and receiving US texts with PC Mobile

Well it looks like no one posts in this forum anymore but on the off chance that someone sees this and knows the answer I'll give my question a whirl.

My husband doesn't use his mobile on the cell network much at all so he a couple of days ago he switched from a very old grandfathered Telus prepaid plan to a cheaper one on PC Mobile. It's $15/month and if you sign up for "Auto-Allowance" (i.e. automatically paying for it every month) you get a bonus of 100 MB of data which is all he figures he needs. It's supposed to included "Unlimited International Text, Picture & Video Messaging".

Last night he texted his sister in the US and didn't receive a reply which he found odd. He tried to text her again this morning but it wouldn't send. He emailed her and asked if she had received his earlier text which she had. She had also replied to it but he never received the text from her.

Has anyone else ever had a similar issue with PC Mobile (or any other carrier). Any clues as to what the problem could be or are we just going to have to call PC Mobile and see if they can sort it out. He has cleared cache and forced stopped his messaging app and rebooted. Nothing has helped.

TIA

Susan

Feedback Score
    International texts should work in both directions. Sometimes there is a delay when porting your phone number to a new provider, but it should be working by now.

If you're still having issues, try contacting PC and ask if the port was completed successfully, because incoming texts from international numbers are not working.

First level tech support may not be knowledgeable, see if you can get transferred to the porting department.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 4XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    International texts should work in both directions. Sometimes there is a delay when porting your phone number to a new provider, but it should be working by now.

If you're still having issues, try contacting PC and ask if the port was completed successfully, because incoming texts from international numbers are not working.

First level tech support may not be knowledgeable, see if you can get transferred to the porting department.
    Thanks so much for your reply. I did a bit of research after I posted and I *think* I know what the problem is. I dialled *#*#4636#*#*, refreshed the SMSC number (which is correct for Bell/PC Mobile) but when I clicked on "UPDATE" I got the message "update error".

The truly weird thing is that she got his first text, but that's the last time *sending* to the US worked. Also, I would have thought that that SMSC problem would have caused problems with all texts but I don't really understand it so there you go.

In any case I did call them, FINALLY got through to actual tech people and hopefully they'll be able to fix it. (I'm thinking maybe a new SIM is required.)

Thanks again for your reply - much appreciated.

Susan

Feedback Score
    Good to hear. Be careful with updating SMSC. If you make a mistake it will cause all texts to stop working. It's best not to play with that.