Thread: Germany-residing US citizen needs multiple US Based Mobile Numbers

Feedback Score

Germany-residing US citizen needs multiple US Based Mobile Numbers

I'm a US citizen working in Germany who is active in Twitter and Facebook and other Social Media accounts.

All of them now REQUIRE a non VOIP mobile telephone number that is used for sending a very time limited (valid for a few minutes) SMS code that I must receive and paste back into the Verification form they present ONLINE at Login.

SKYPE numbers are rejected as non-valid by Twitter & maybe the other accounts. To open an account or to change the account Verification telphone the number must pass an initial detection check. Temp numbers and VOIP don't serve the purpose for the long run of an active social media account.

I travel a lot & logging in to one of my social media accounts when I must use another region's internet connections often produces another RE-VERIFICATION request because the social media company flags my login as not meeting the same session environment as the last time i logged in or out.

Whether I use a VPN or not, just using a different browser where the cookies don't match, is enough to trigger a temporary lock out of my accounts.

If I were in the USA I would probably go to a T-Mobile store and purchase an Android phone with a PREPAID plan that allows me to add new credits or re-supply my prepaid SIM account with an online form when I am working in Germany.

Peferably the whole setup would allow me to buy 4 or 5 telephone numbers serviced by T-mobile in area codes such as New Jersey state, New York state, Texas state, whatever.

Then I could open social media accounts using a dedicated mobile number that forwards the SMS verification code to my Android phone working in Germany. And not add more profiles to my Apple ID phone.

Since T-Mobile is also active in Germany i thought that one of the newest PrePaid plans might be initiated in the USA that can work with Roaming in Germany or other nations in Europe.

And I can monitor the whole plan ONLINE at the T-Mobile customer site in the USA.

Maybe I could then buy the Android phone locally in Germany and synch it up with my installed T-Mobile prepaid SIM so that every phone call with SMS codes sent to my American numbers would show up immediately both in my Roaming Android in Europe and Online.

Is this possible these days?

Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by TexasPhone; 03-03-2021 at 08:34 AM. Reason: shorten

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't confuse the German-based T-mobile with the US-based company. They are the same carrier by name but are not interoperable like you mentioned. You should be able to roam in Germany but I suggest you speak with the local carrier for details if it will work as you hope.

I wish I could offer more advice but I have not used my phone internationally in almost 2 1/2 years when I used my Sprint postpaid plan in Italy. Hopefully, others will chime in with additional information.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score

Thank you!

I appreciate that bit of information.

Since I got information from other sites that T-Mobile USA was opening new services regarding International Roaming in connection with PREPAID plans I thought I'd aim this at T-Mobile dealers first.

Especially since so many US Service Personnel are just temporarily in Germany but need USA mobile plans where a US address is no longer viable. Where PREPAID with SMS text supported by a recognized US Carrier is a common need.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile's (USA) prepaid international roaming is both highly problematic (unreliable) and expensive.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    So where can I re-post my question in this forum to get the attention of the larger community of Solutions Provider experts that will know if any combination of phones, providers can solve my problem? Outside of the T-Mobile forum?
    Thank you!

Feedback Score
    USA-based person here who can log in to my Twitter and Facebook accounts without an SMS codes sent to my phone number, which I have not even supplied to them. Are you sure the codes are required?

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 ProMax, Fold 3
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasPhone View Post
    So where can I re-post my question in this forum to get the attention of the larger community of Solutions Provider experts that will know if any combination of phones, providers can solve my problem? Outside of the T-Mobile forum?
    Thank you!
    really, any US-based prepaid brand that supports WiFi calling should work.

Some android phones are odd with SMS via WiFi calling, but iOS usually works.

AT&T Prepaid: has per day, per SMS, per month, etc..

Verizon Prepaid: too expensive to even mess with and will likely figure a way to charge per day.

Visible: $25/mo when you have a "party" of 4

T-Mobile Connect for $15, etc..

all "should" work fine as long as you have a WiFi calling compatible device.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Silly question. Can’t you just use a German number?
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie