Thread: Wi-Fi calling now working on Tracfone branded iPhones?

Device(s)
    TF iPhone SE & 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, LG Rebel 4, Fiesta 2
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score

Wi-Fi calling now working on Tracfone branded iPhones?

Just noticed this morning that I can turn on Wi-Fi calling on both my Tracfone Branded iPhone 6S and SE (2016). Also was able to activate it on a friends TF iPhone. Never worked before. Would always send me to some troubleshooting page in the browser in the past.

Both of these phones use TF/Verizon. Setting can be accessed via Settings/Phone/Wi-Fi Calling or Settings/Cellular/Wi-Fi Calling

I had to fill out an address form for 911 service or something and agree to terms and now it seems to work.

Name:  IMG_0410.PNG
Views: 68
Size:  39.8 KB ----- Name:  IMG_0138.PNG
Views: 66
Size:  38.4 KB ------ Name:  IMG_0139.PNG
Views: 69
Size:  43.6 KB
    Last edited by tomseys; 02-21-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Nice! I just tried on my XS and no-go. I still get that troubleshooting page. Hopefully lines are being provisioned in batches. Wireless service where I am is excellent so I really only need it if the cell network goes down. I've had WiFi Calling on my AT&T TF SIM for a while now and have only used it once.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 12 eSIM; Samsung A71 5G
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 12 dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]; Cricket: iPhone SE 2nd gen
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't think it's actually working though.

If I turn on airplane mode w/ wifi on (I'm assuming this should work?), I'm not able to make a call and I see no wifi sign near where the TFW reside like I've read should be seen. When I make a call like this, it states turn on wifi or turn off airplane mode. But wifi is on. And it is working fine.

Did forced restart. Turned settings on and off. Did reset network settings. Erased phone and restored from cloud. I've read this fixes most issues. Still doesn't work.

Removed sim and reinserted, no go.

I guess I could reset phone to factory and try it before any restore (don't want to lose backup) but I'm gonna pass for now.
    Not something I see myself using much if ever in any case.

Also just noticed the phone/sim doesn't pass that wifi calling checker page. Oh well.
    Last edited by tomseys; 02-21-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    I don't think it's actually working though.

If I turn on airplane mode w/ wifi on (I'm assuming this should work?), I'm not able to make a call and I see no wifi sign near where the TFW reside like I've read should be seen. When I make a call like this, it states turn on wifi or turn off airplane mode. But wifi is on. And it is working fine.
    Yes, with airplane mode on w/wifi on, it should work (make and receive calls and texts).

Did forced restart. Turned settings on and off. Did reset network settings. Erased phone and restored from cloud. I've read this fixes most issues. Still doesn't work.

Removed sim and reinserted, no go.

I guess I could reset phone to factory and try it before any restore (don't want to lose backup) but I'm gonna pass for now.
    Erased and restored phone too? That's a lot to go through just to check on this.

I just checked on a Tracfone branded iPhone SE (2nd gen) on VZW and nothing has changed. When trying to activate wi-fi calling it takes me to the Troubleshooting page.

The fact that you went a little farther in the activation process may be an indication of that feature being enabled eventually, I hope.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    After filling in my address WiFi calling is now working in my unlocked TF branded iPhone se (2016) with TF-VZW sim.
    The status bar shows TFW Wi-Fi and turning on airplane mode and WiFi allows me to make and receive calls.

I updated to IOS 14.4 recently, in case that might make a difference, and always do a factory reset and restore from the cloud after an update (seems to solve a lot of problems).

Sim swapping into my backup Simple Mobil branded iPhone se (2016) also works.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arny56 View Post
    After filling in my address WiFi calling is now working in my unlocked TF branded iPhone se (2016) with TF-VZW sim.
    The status bar shows TFW Wi-Fi and turning on airplane mode and WiFi allows me to make and receive calls.

I updated to IOS 14.4 recently, in case that might make a difference, and always do a factory reset and restore from the cloud after an update (seems to solve a lot of problems).

Sim swapping into my backup Simple Mobil branded iPhone se (2016) also works.
    I have an unlocked TF branded iPhone SE (2016) as well (and 6S) but it's not working for me. I'm using iOS 14.4 and Carrier TFW 45.0.

I tried a few things including "erase all content and settings" and then restored a back up from iCloud but still not working. Maybe the "problem" has already been copied into the backup. Guess I could do again and delay backup restore and see if works first. I don't know.
    Maybe I'll try a reset all settings. Added: Reset all settings didn't work.

Name:  IMG_0411.PNG
Views: 44
Size:  177.4 KB

Does your phone show as working from here:
    https://e911-reg.tracfone.com/wps/po...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

The "4 digits" is last 4 of your IMEI.
    Last edited by tomseys; 02-22-2021 at 05:23 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ok this time I did a factory reset and delayed restoring the backup. I then forced restarted it. Still doesn't work.
    Maybe something on TF's end. Maybe I'll CSR it in the future.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Does your phone show as working from here:
    https://e911-reg.tracfone.com/wps/po...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

The "4 digits" is last 4 of your IMEI.
    LOL, says not eligible but it’s working fine. I initially set it up with the sim in my Simple Mobil backup phone, I wonder if that’s why it’s working?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arny56 View Post
    LOL, says not eligible but it’s working fine. I initially set it up with the sim in my Simple Mobil backup phone, I wonder if that’s why it’s working?
    Maybe.

If I try to update the emergency address btw, it gives me the go to TFW website popup which sends me to the HD Voice troubleshooting page in Safari after first hanging for a little bit. Like it did before it started letting me enter emergency address.

Added: Just noticed that if I turn off the wi-fii and turn data on only, I am able to enter a new emergency address.
    But, Wi-Fi calling still doesn't work.

Anyway, don't really need it but be nice to see it work properly.
    Last edited by tomseys; 02-23-2021 at 05:35 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just spoke with TF CSR and he said regardless of what it shows on iPhone, Wi-Fi calling doesn't work and is not compatible with TF/Verizon.

I don't feel like escalating it so I think I'll just leave it at that for now.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    A few weeks ago, I called CSR and was escalated to upper level "corporate" rep. They told me Wi-Fi calling was implemented on all 3 networks, and should work. He did some stuff on his end and had me reboot a few times. Still didn't work. But insisted Wi-Fi was implemented.

Fast forward to this week, I called CSR and was escalated to corporate rep for a different issue. As a "by the way," I asked about Wi-Fi calling. This guy said Wi-Fi is not implemented and that they're working on it. They said it might work on AT&T, but no official implementation. Verizon and T-mobile you can forget about it. No timeline either.

Two corporate reps working in the same dept, totally opposite answers. You tell me how that's possible.

Feedback Score
    This seems to be so difficult on some carriers. Cricket has been bouncing people off the ATT network left and right for not having VoLTE but my BYOD device with them just worked immediately for VoLTE and wifi calling. But nearly every other carrier I have tried which includes RedPocket, Mint, Tello and Tracfone no such luck

Luckily not too critical for me since I use Google Voice which is basically wifi or data calling on any working network...

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfavre444 View Post
    A few weeks ago, I called CSR and was escalated to upper level "corporate" rep. They told me Wi-Fi calling was implemented on all 3 networks, and should work. He did some stuff on his end and had me reboot a few times. Still didn't work. But insisted Wi-Fi was implemented.

Fast forward to this week, I called CSR and was escalated to corporate rep for a different issue. As a "by the way," I asked about Wi-Fi calling. This guy said Wi-Fi is not implemented and that they're working on it. They said it might work on AT&T, but no official implementation. Verizon and T-mobile you can forget about it. No timeline either.

Two corporate reps working in the same dept, totally opposite answers. You tell me how that's possible.
    Well, I was able to get WiFi calling to work on TF/TMobile on an iphone 6s today. I turned on airplane mode and placed a call to verify it was really working.

The 6s+ on TF/Verizon immediately got a message to contact TF when trying to activate wifi calling.

It's just a point of curiosity for me, I get good signal from all 3 carriers and I use Google Voice, so no actual need for wifi calling.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I started getting a weak cell signal a few months ago so I tried turning on wifi calling. I don't remember having to do anything more than that, except maybe updating my Emergency address?, and I believe I have been using wifi calling since then.
    At the top left of my iphone 7+ it shows 1 bar (my cell signal strength) and then says TFW WiFi and then 4 bars (my WiFi signal strength).
    I should add that it is not a TF branded phone.
    iPhone 7 Plus on Tracfone BYOP.
    I hate Apple. (I really miss Android)

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I’ve had WiFi calling on my TF/T-Mobil Moto g6 for quite a while now, at least 8-10 months. Would never work for my TF/VZW iPhone until I tried it with the sim in my Simple Mobil backup iPhone (t-mo’s network) so I suspect that is why it started working.

I don’t get a great signal from any of the carriers here, so WiFi calling is a plus for me.