Thread: setup phone with your Google account, phone stuck with it no matter what?

Feedback Score

setup phone with your Google account, phone stuck with it no matter what?

I do not remember from which the idea came, but in case we setup a phone (smartphone) with our chosen Google account, either at initial device setup, or later after device setup, IS THE DEVICE STUCK WITH THAT google account forever, no-matter what?

So if after some time, we used a device, and then decide to REMOVE the Google account from the device, and then set A DIFFERENT Google account onto the device, is that allowed?

If we had removed the either google accounts, and later need to RESET our device, then will the device still need the initial previously set Google account, if the phone had been set at any time with the device's original Google account?

Further, if one wants to never set the device with a Google account, in order to use non-google-playstore applications, so as to always avoid ever signing in to any Google account on the device, then must we absolutely never set any Google account onto the device?

Feedback Score
    You can remove all google accounts if you want at any time and you should remove all google accounts when you sell a phone.

You can change google accounts at any time.

You also don't have to ever use a google account if you don't want to. However, a google account might be required for some apps but you are not required to use those apps so you can use your phone with no google account.

Feedback Score
    I remember if some phones were reset before the GMail acct was removed. Then to complete setup UN & PW are required. But if removed before reset no such restrictions.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Feedback Score
    THIS may be the biggest piece of what we need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I remember if some phones were reset before the GMail acct was removed. Then to complete setup UN & PW are required. But if removed before reset no such restrictions.
    That is probably okay IF user did not remove the Google and Gmail account from the phone before reset of the phone. What other warning do we need to know about this subject?

Twenty Nine days until someone responded to the subject; amazing!
    Thanks brad4cell and zapjb.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    THIS may be the biggest piece of what we need to know.

That is probably okay IF user did not remove the Google and Gmail account from the phone before reset of the phone. What other warning do we need to know about this subject?

Twenty Nine days until someone responded to the subject; amazing!
    Thanks brad4cell and zapjb.
    It is best to remove all Google accounts before selling the phone because then there will be no problem with the security lock.

I never use the security lock on my phone so I think even if I don't remove my account it would not matter in my case.

I should lock my phone but I just never do.

Feedback Score
    If the objectives would make this topic any clearer, the apps as alternatives to what's on Google Play Store I would be most interested to have/use/try are: Browser, Email program, Cloud Storage, Maps.

Currently most interesting seems to be F-Droid, although still have not tried so yet.

Feedback Score
    If the objectives would make this topic any clearer, the apps as alternatives to what's on Google Play Store I would be most interested to have/use/try are: Browser, Email program, Cloud Storage, Maps.

Currently most interesting seems to be F-Droid, although still have not tried so yet.
    I've seen your similar posts in other forums. Why is it you're so adverse to having a google account? Having one doesn't mean you can't download an app else where other then playstore. Also, you mention having to always sign into your google account. I never have to sign into mine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I've seen your similar posts in other forums. Why is it you're so adverse to having a google account? Having one doesn't mean you can't download an app else where other then playstore. Also, you mention having to always sign into your google account. I never have to sign into mine.
    Why, the possibly wrong concept that once you have connected the phone with a Google account, the phone will be stuck with that Google account forever. zapjb and brad4cell tried to explain the situation more clearly.

Why, Google tracks T.M.I. on every little thing you do on or with a Google account. I have gone into the account used on an older phone for play.google.com and I see information on EVERTHING I looked for , searched for, downloaded, installed, every app. That is just too much information which I find I am unable to manage IN the online account.

Why, I have no reason to want to allow everything I do and everywhere I am to be shared and recorded by Google and snooped into by anything/one associated with Google.

I might one day make a habit of using email on a smartphone, but I may very well want to keep Google out of the process, like use alternative app store, install one of its listed browsers, install one of its email apps, connect the app to some non-google email service. Naturally, I would first need to use Google Chrome to find and download the main app store application, but still no google account would be needed.

I am also still not able to fully understand being signed in to phone, being signed in or not signed in to other services on the phone, or signing out of the phone through the phone itself, if phone is connected to a Google account. The way I understand or can think about F-Droid, user does not need account for this.
    Last edited by joseg2016; 02-03-2021 at 07:58 PM. Reason: small spelling mistake correction

Feedback Score
    I dont think smartphones are for you

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hellcatt View Post
    I dont think smartphones are for you
    Too late! Already been trying -twice. My second time has been for about five weeks now.

Feedback Score
    Maybe a Linux phone might be a good alternative for you.

https://www.fossmint.com/linux-secur...s-for-privacy/
    Why, the possibly wrong concept that once you have connected the phone with a Google account, the phone will be stuck with that Google account forever. zapjb and brad4cell tried to explain the situation more clearly.

Why, Google tracks T.M.I. on every little thing you do on or with a Google account. I have gone into the account used on an older phone for play.google.com and I see information on EVERTHING I looked for , searched for, downloaded, installed, every app. That is just too much information which I find I am unable to manage IN the online account.

Why, I have no reason to want to allow everything I do and everywhere I am to be shared and recorded by Google and snooped into by anything/one associated with Google.

I might one day make a habit of using email on a smartphone, but I may very well want to keep Google out of the process, like use alternative app store, install one of its listed browsers, install one of its email apps, connect the app to some non-google email service. Naturally, I would first need to use Google Chrome to find and download the main app store application, but still no google account would be needed.

I am also still not able to fully understand being signed in to phone, being signed in or not signed in to other services on the phone, or signing out of the phone through the phone itself, if phone is connected to a Google account. The way I understand or can think about F-Droid, user does not need account for this.
    Sent from my Moto Optimo Maxx

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I have two separate Google accounts on most of my phones, each with its own Gmail address and Google Voice account. I can swap accounts by tapping the icon on my Gmail account or Google Voice account.

It's true that Google tracks what you do. You can go into your Google account and change privacy settings. You can do some of it on Google Playstore.

Google Playstore lists what apps you have installed and which ones need updates. You can set the updates to off and only update the ones you want to. I have mine set so I no longer get notifications about updates. I also have them set to update only via WiFi so as not to use data on my activated phones.

I just recently installed DuckDuckGo "secure" browser on some of my phones from Google Playstore. It blocks some of the trackers, and Google was one of the ones trying to track my searches.

There are other "secure" browsers besides DuckDuckGo that you can research on Google Playstore.

I have other email addresses besides Gmail. I installed the apps from the Google Playstore.

The email apps are probably not real private, they probably snoop. If they're free they generally dish ads in the inbox, but you can get paid versions to remove the ads. The ads usually reflect what I've been searching online, making it obvious they track my searches. The more I use DuckDuckGo, the less info the trackers will get about me, but I email links to myself for things and anything I get in my inbox, the email app is going to "see."

Mail.com is one of the providers I use besides Gmail. I also use Yahoo and Outlook email, but not often.

Once the non Google apps are installed, you could theoretically log out of Google and just use the independent apps.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app