Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Prepaid Mobile Internet Plans

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thu1227 View Post
    I don't know. I don't see Music Freedom mentioned anywhere in the plan descriptions or account menus. Will have to experiment.

In researching Binge On, T-Mobile says in their support forums that these are legacy features and aren't updated with newer services like Disney+ so don't get your hopes up.

https://community.t-mobile.com/accou...treaming-14108

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/bing...treaming-video

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-music-streaming
    Mobile Internet has Music Freedom, Connect does not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paaz View Post
    Mobile Internet has Music Freedom, Connect does not.
    What works for you? There are so many permutations. Grandfathered or new Mobile Internet plans? Which music service? Played in a phone app or streamed to a PC's browser?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/pla...-music-freedom

That link says it's included with "Pay in Advance Mobile Internet," have to use an app, not via hotspot or tethering, so a bit contradictory.

Whatever. It doesn't use a ton of data if not included in one's usage scenario.

Feedback Score
    Just to thrash the dead horse a little more, I interpret the new Mobile Internet plan page as saying you get unlimited music streaming because you have unlimited data. The BingeOn setting in my profile probably just controls the video data maximizer feature.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a5G, Moto G Stylus, G Power, G7 Power and G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, TextNow and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thu1227 View Post
    Streamed 20 minutes of iHeart radio and podcast to my laptop - used 40 MB. Then 8 minutes of video from Crackle - used 70 MB.
    I have 2 of the previous $10/2GB month plans that include Music Freedom. Luckily I activated one 2 days before this change took place.

Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Based on a few posts elsewhere, it seems that the functionality to change plans is broken on the web site (I had a suspended $10/2GB plan). If you call in, you can still change plans.

I went to set up a new SIM for another project and noticed that the $5/500MB plan is now available as an option, so called, changed to that, and it's now showing on my account. The "change plan" link is still greyed out, so I suspect something broke when they added a few more new plans in. Still, for someone that has a light-use IoT device, tablet, unused Test Drive hotspot, old phone or backup data in a phone, or something else, $60/year (no tax in my area for data-only) isn't bad.

Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Based on a few posts elsewhere, it seems that the functionality to change plans is broken on the web site (I had a suspended $10/2GB plan). If you call in, you can still change plans...
    It's fixed now, but I also noticed that the new plans don't support T-Mobile Tuesdays (if that matters to anyone). The old data-only plans (including the 200MB/month Free Data for Life) plans do.

Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    I have 2 of the previous $10/2GB month plans that include Music Freedom. Luckily I activated one 2 days before this change took place.
    Interestingly enough, the old plans are still being kept around for now. At the bottom of the FAQ on the Mobile Internet page:

Does T-Mobile offer any other rate plans as a result of the merger with Sprint?
    For customers who are interested in older rate plans, we continue to make select older rate plans available for a limited time. These plans are known as heritage plans. Details on T-Mobile mobile internet heritage plans are available here.
    The link takes you to the old page, so I guess the difference is "Simple Choice Mobile Internet" for the old ones versus "Mobile Internet" for the new ones. I'm seeing if T-Force can put me back on the 2GB/$10 one since I can't do it myself.

Feedback Score
    I don't have any prior experience with T-Mo Prepaid or Postpaid, so I could really use some help....

The T-Mobile Prepaid Simple Choice Mobile Internet plans seem ideal for my intermittent needs.

If I step through the ordering process, the site wants $10 for the SIM card. Can I source one elsewhere? If so, are there specific things to look for? (Prepaid? Activation Kit instead of simply a SIM?)

If I'm reading this thread correctly, it sounds like I could let the plan suspend for a few months if not needed, and start it back up without needing a new SIM or setting up a new account? (I'd only use it when traveling away from home, and I haven't been doing much of that lately.) I like the idea that I can change from a 500mb plan to 2GB or larger, if needed.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    I don't have any prior experience with T-Mo Prepaid or Postpaid, so I could really use some help....

The T-Mobile Prepaid Simple Choice Mobile Internet plans seem ideal for my intermittent needs.

If I step through the ordering process, the site wants $10 for the SIM card. Can I source one elsewhere? If so, are there specific things to look for? (Prepaid? Activation Kit instead of simply a SIM?)
    Any T-Mobile SIM card would work in theory, as long as it's not past the expiration date printed on it (unlike AT&T and Verizon, the SIM cards have to be activated by a certain date or they become useless). eBay is a good source, as are Apple Stores "I need one for my iPad" and they'll "sell" you one for $0. If you want to future-proof, look for the SIMs with R15 on them (the newest) as there was some talk they'd be required for 5G SA or other future changes.

Only a few places sell activation kits and most are geared towards starting service at a particular rate (Best Buy sells a $40 kit that can only be activated on the $40 plan, but you can downgrade for the next month). I'd either spend the $10 or go to a store (I think some corporate stores may still do free SIMs).

Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    If I'm reading this thread correctly, it sounds like I could let the plan suspend for a few months if not needed, and start it back up without needing a new SIM or setting up a new account? (I'd only use it when traveling away from home, and I haven't been doing much of that lately.) I like the idea that I can change from a 500mb plan to 2GB or larger, if needed.
    You can let it suspend and re-activate pretty easily, I've done it for about two months off myself. I'd keep a few dollars extra ($3 or $4) on it just in case. On the prepaid voice plans (same system) if you let them suspend and have a dollar amount, it will eventually convert to the long-gone-otherwise $3/month paygo plan. If the balance is $0, it will just cancel.

Feedback Score
    ecs0013, thanks for the thorough details on SIM cards and features for the mobile internet plans! I'm going to pick up a SIM card so I have it available when I next need extra hotspot data.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    There are new data options in prepaid,

500Mbs of 5G data for $5
    2GB of 5G data for $10
    5GB of 5G data for $20
    10GB of 5G data for $30
    30GB of 5G data for $40
    100GB of 5G data for $50

Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by batcave View Post
    There are new data options in prepaid,

500Mbs of 5G data for $5
    2GB of 5G data for $10
    5GB of 5G data for $20
    10GB of 5G data for $30
    30GB of 5G data for $40
    100GB of 5G data for $50
    Yeah, for some reason, about half weren't there at launch, but existed for postpaid. About a month ago, they showed up for prepaid. If you call in, or use T-Force, you can also switch to the "heritage" Simple Choice Mobile Internet plans, so lots of options right now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2