Thread: Activating Total Wireless Iphone on existing Tracfone account

Feedback Score

Activating Total Wireless Iphone on existing Tracfone account

I just bought a Total Wireless Iphone XR to replace my daughter's old Iphone SE. I want to activate it on Tracfone and transfer her existing number and remaining time/texts/data. When I go to activate on the website you have to choose from, I have a Tracfone phone, or I'm bringing my own smartphone. I believe I choose I'm bringing my own smartphone even though I will use the SIM that came with the TW phone that is a TF sim. Is that correct?

I did this before when I bought her a Straight Talk SE a while back and I believe I ended up using the new SIM that came with the phone. I want to be able to unlock the phone after a year so I think this is the way to do it vs. just using her old sim. I got help from chat last time I did it but hoping to not have to. I don't want to have to say it's a Total Wireless phone.

If I choose I have a Tracfone phone, it wants me to enter the IMEI but if I choose bring my own smartphone it wants to know the SIM#. I thought for Verizon phones they want the IMEI/serial #, maybe that will happen further along? I don't want to screw up the activation and have to use it on TW.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsnut View Post
    I just bought a Total Wireless Iphone XR to replace my daughter's old Iphone SE. I want to activate it on Tracfone and transfer her existing number and remaining time/texts/data. When I go to activate on the website you have to choose from, I have a Tracfone phone, or I'm bringing my own smartphone. I believe I choose I'm bringing my own smartphone even though I will use the SIM that came with the TW phone that is a TF sim. Is that correct?
    If I were to do it, I'd select "I have a Tracfone phone". Although it's a Total Wireless phone, it's still considered a (TF) branded phone. The site will ask you for the IMEI or SIM card number; it'll recognize the device using either number because for a branded phone the IMEI is paired with the SIM number shipped with it.

Furthermore, if you want to get the XR unlocked after 12 months of service, it should be registered and activated as a (TF) branded phone, not a BYOP because TF doesn't unlock a BYOP phone.

I don't want to screw up the activation and have to use it on TW.
    If you activate it on Tracfone web site, it will use TF service.

==>Make sure to activate WITH A TRANSFER from your daughter's current phone (Select "I want to keep my number").

Feedback Score
    I was wondering about the unlocking part if you did bring your own smartphone. I'll try I have a Tracfone phone and see if it works. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If I were to do it, I'd select "I have a Tracfone phone". Although it's a Total Wireless phone, it's still considered a (TF) branded phone. The site will ask you for the IMEI or SIM card number; it'll recognize the device using either number because for a branded phone the IMEI is paired with the SIM number shipped with it.

Furthermore, if you want to get the XR unlocked after 12 months of service, it should be registered and activated as a (TF) branded phone, not a BYOP because TF doesn't unlock a BYOP phone.

If you activate it on Tracfone web site, it will use TF service.

==>Make sure to activate WITH A TRANSFER from your daughter's current phone (Select "I want to keep my number").
    Followed your advice and the transfer worked perfectly, thanks. I hope we can still get in on deals like this in the future, I'm afraid once Verizon takes over we may not be able to do these types of transactions anymore.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsnut View Post
    Followed your advice and the transfer worked perfectly, thanks.
    You're welcome. Good to hear it went well.