Thread: Three UK cracking down on excessive roaming?

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score

Three UK cracking down on excessive roaming?

I noticed that my 2 Three UK PayGo SIMs stopped working in the US sometime in the last month. The online My Account pages for both show the following in the "International settings" section:
    You can't currently use your phone to make calls, send texts or use data while you're abroad. If you want to be able to use your phone abroad, give us a call on one of the numbers below:
    333 free from your Three phone
    0333 300 3333 from any other phone*
    *5.1 per minute from a BT landline, other networks may vary.
    I'm not surprised as Three's ToS says:
    We'll monitor your usage, and if you spend two complete months in a Go Roam Around the World destination, we have the right to suspend international roaming services on your account. This means you'll no longer be able to use your device abroad
    If you've had international roaming services suspended and since returned to the UK, please contact us to let us know of the change in your location, and we'll unblock your roaming services.
    I'm actually surprised my international SIMs lasted as long as they did. I activated both SIMs in the US, one about 3 years ago and the other about 18 months ago. Pre-pandemic I used them in several Asian and European countries but never in the US.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You already pointed out Three's roaming policy and the message you received. Is there a question here ?
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 10 pro
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Truphone, Three, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Just checked my 2 year old Three Sim. Ebay purchased and activated in the US. It's still working with no message in the International settings tab. It's only been used a couple of weeks in Italy and very sporadically in the US. I was unaware of their roaming policy, thanks for posting.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the post, Yeswap. It's helpful since it'll now show up in site searches on "Three" and be informative for those thinking of using Three and haven't done their homework or current users not aware they're enforcing their TOS and whose phones "stop" working.

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by naranja View Post
    Just checked my 2 year old Three Sim. Ebay purchased and activated in the US. It's still working with no message in the International settings tab. It's only been used a couple of weeks in Italy and very sporadically in the US. I was unaware of their roaming policy, thanks for posting.
    i also have a 2 year old three sim.
    its out of $ but if i add $, how many gigs of data do i get in the US per month?

Feedback Score
    Mine lasted 2 to 3 months. Was probably late to the game, as I got mine shipped to the usa about that time.
    Posted mine back to the UK and it's working now over there. But I doubt it'll work again in the USA , I read somewhere that it's xy months over a 12 month duration.
    They got some severe stick in the UK press for disconnecting stranded travelers who were effected by the covid-19 travel issues

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using HoFo mobile app