Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 93

Thread: Samsung Galaxy A01 a good phone?

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,725
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The Samsung user interface drives me nuts because the settings are not grouped in the typical Android fashion (example: Samsung put Battery Info in Device Care category). I had to use the search function everytime I needed to change something.
    I used a Galaxy S3 and S4 a few years ago when they were several years old already. I wondered what people were going on about not liking the Samsung UI. Then a few weeks ago I bought a new Samsung Tab A tablet. The S3 and S4 were pretty much just like my LG and Moto phones. I see now with the Tab A that they have rearranged things drastically, especially in settings, as you said.

    It's a learning curve, but it's not like I had much choice for a low price tablet. The Tab A was $100. I don't need a tablet enough to spend much on them. Aside from the high price, there is no way I want to switch to an iPad.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,788
    Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It's a learning curve, but it's not like I had much choice for a low price tablet. The Tab A was $100. I don't need a tablet enough to spend much on them. Aside from the high price, there is no way I want to switch to an iPad.
    I think Samsung devices are overpriced. Not at the same level as Apple products, but still overpriced. For 8" to 10" tablets, we use ASUS, Lenovo, or Amazon Fire Tablets that I hacked to work like generic Android tablets.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    127
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I think Samsung devices are overpriced. Not at the same level as Apple products, but still overpriced. For 8" to 10" tablets, we use ASUS, Lenovo, or Amazon Fire Tablets that I hacked to work like generic Android tablets.
    I have often seen Amazon Fire tablets at very good prices but never had the courage to buy one, because I always thought they were very limited in their capabilities.

    So I am very interested in your hack to get a Fire to work like an Android tablet. Could you please point me to some links or materials so I could do the same? Thank you!!

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,788
    Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    I have often seen Amazon Fire tablets at very good prices but never had the courage to buy one, because I always thought they were very limited in their capabilities.

    So I am very interested in your hack to get a Fire to work like an Android tablet. Could you please point me to some links or materials so I could do the same? Thank you!!
    See the information HERE . It might look intimidating at first, but just follow the instructions one step at a time. I hacked a Fire HD 10 Tablet and it works like a typical Android tablet, complete with Google Play Store and my favorite apps. Got rid of all the Amazon junk.

    Below are some screenshots. The Settings still have the Amazon "flavor", but the functions and apps are typical Android.

    Name:  Fire-Tablet-screenshot-2.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  33.6 KB

    Name:  Fire-Tablet-screenshot-3.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  24.9 KB

    Name:  Fire-Tablet-screenshot-4.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  22.4 KB
    Last edited by hpham; 06-20-2021 at 10:08 PM.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    456
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Here is a Tracfone e-Bay store Moto G Power bundle for $120...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/28419401226...wAAOSw55dgM-aX
    Tracfone's Ebay store now has a discount code HOTDEAL25 that gives 25% off the bundles with a year plan. That brings the Moto G Power bundle down to $90+ tax.
    All eligible items: https://www.ebay.com/sme/tracfonewir...p2047675.m2197
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,578
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    See the information HERE . It might look intimidating at first, but just follow the instructions one step at a time. I hacked a Fire HD 10 Tablet and it works like a typical Android tablet, complete with Google Play Store and my favorite apps. Got rid of all the Amazon junk.
    Thanks for the info!

    Do you think 4GB (vs 3GB) and wireless charging (vs no wireless charging) is worth $30 more? Those seem to be the main differences. I'm thinking of getting two, for my wife and I.

    $109.99:
    https://www.amazon.com/Fire-HD-10-Pl.../dp/B08F6FYN6B

    $79.99:
    https://www.amazon.com/Fire-HD-10-tablet/dp/B08BX7FV5L

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,788
    Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Do you think 4GB (vs 3GB) and wireless charging (vs no wireless charging) is worth $30 more?
    For me, the differences aren't worth $30. Unless you run multiple apps on the tablet at the same time, RAM space isn't critical. Also, there's a "diminishing return" factor: going from 1GB to 2GB is a 100% increase, from 2GB to 3GB is a 50% increase, from 3GB to 4GB is only a 33% increase. As for wireless charging, I've never used one so don't know its advatage/attraction. I have no problem with charging a device by plugging it in.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,578
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    For me, the differences aren't worth $30. Unless you run multiple apps on the tablet at the same time, RAM space isn't critical. Also, there's a "diminishing return" factor: going from 1GB to 2GB is a 100% increase, from 2GB to 3GB is a 50% increase, from 3GB to 4GB is only a 33% increase. As for wireless charging, I've never used one so don't know its advatage/attraction. I have no problem with charging a device by plugging it in.
    Those were my thoughts, too, but as you know, lots of us here respect your opinion, so I wanted to ask. Thank you!

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DC-MD-VA
    Posts
    790
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Tracfone's Ebay store now has a discount code HOTDEAL25 that gives 25% off the bundles with a year plan. That brings the Moto G Power bundle down to $90+ tax.
    All eligible items: https://www.ebay.com/sme/tracfonewir...p2047675.m2197
    Figures. After missing a couple HSN deals, I got the G Power last month for *only* 20% off from their eBay store.. One glitch that I can't resolve is that the bluetooth icon doesn't appear when turned on, more irritating than a major issue. Not sure if it's related to the Android 11 update or not. Only had the phone 2-3 days before I installed it and noticed. Also had a weird problem with Chrome related to tab groups after I installed the update. Fixed it after uninstalling and reinstalling the update. Otherwise, I'm very glad I finally pulled the trigger on this one. Definitely a buy at 25% off.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,788
    Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    I got the G Power last month for *only* 20% off from their eBay store.. One glitch that I can't resolve is that the bluetooth icon doesn't appear when turned on, more irritating than a major issue. Not sure if it's related to the Android 11 update or not.
    I just checked my TF Moto G Power (2020) and it behaves the same way as your phone. Mine is on Android 11 also.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,111
    Feedback Score
    0
    The bluetooth icon has been hidden for some time. The people who leave it on were sick of looking at it and taking up space, so the developers made it hidden. There is no cure as far as I know.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DC-MD-VA
    Posts
    790
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I just checked my TF Moto G Power (2020) and it behaves the same way as your phone. Mine is on Android 11 also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The bluetooth icon has been hidden for some time. The people who leave it on were sick of looking at it and taking up space, so the developers made it hidden. There is no cure as far as I know.
    My first Android 10/11 phone.
    Just realizing that it only displays when connected to a device! D'oh!

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,788
    Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    Just realizing that it only displays when connected to a device! D'oh!
    Before I posted my previouse reply, I connected my Moto G Power to my LG Stylo 4 via bluetooth and the icon still didn't show up.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DC-MD-VA
    Posts
    790
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Before I posted my previouse reply, I connected my Moto G Power to my LG Stylo 4 via bluetooth and the icon still didn't show up.
    Well, that was my original experience too. I was doing file shares via BT with a couple LGs while setting up my phone and it didn't appear. Pretty sure I tested with a speaker later, too, with no luck. But just now, I have it connected to a speaker and it's ON. So maybe it's sporadic.
    Last edited by AnciusD; 06-22-2021 at 08:12 AM.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,922
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have a 2016 Fire HD 8 as well as a 2019 HD 10 (typing on it now using the SwiftKey keyboard, possible only due to adding the Google Play Store).

    They're fine for the price, especially when on sale. And I got the HD 10 essentially free during a trial Prime membership by signing up for their credit card (which sits in a drawer currently).

    I did the Play Store add by the common four file installation method. Didn't bother to do anything about the launcher, which really changes the look.

    A major issue for me has been that the newer Fire OS versions (newer than v5. x) have something that inhibits push notifications from communications apps like those from the Play Store, such as Hangouts, Google Voice, and Chat (also not hearing any dings from my Facebook Messenger Lite app). No such problem on the older HD 8, but any of the newer ones with v6.x or 7.x (which is current) you won't get audible or visual notifications of incoming messages with apps from non-Amazon App Store sources. Not a big problem if you've got your phone running the same apps nearby.

    Also read some recent reviews of Moto G Power, but the 2021 version (which I didn't know existed). Supposed to be a downgrade in several areas, including screen resolution and battery capacity. The 2020 version is the way to go, so watch out for that.

    That Fire Toolbox utility sounds like a great idea if you want to go that far with modifications. I've been using my HD 8 with its Amazon interface for so long I don't even notice it. I never leave the main Home Screen where the apps are installed, and not being a Prime member I don't buy from Amazon unless I have to, although my free 3-month trial over the Christmas holidays was kind of fun.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to unlock Sprint, T-mobile, Metro PCS Samsung Galaxy A01 ( SM-A015AZ ) phones
    By cellcorner in forum Cellcorner.com - Professional mobile phone unlocking equipment, remote unlock, phone accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2020, 03:32 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 04:57 PM
  3. Sold: Samsung Galaxy Nexus Unlocked Good Price!
    By civicsrule in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM
  4. How to Unlock Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 Phone by Unlock Code to any GSM Network
    By cellunlocker1 in forum CELLUNLOCKER.NET - UNLOCK your Phone to Any GSM Network, Fastest & LowestPrice 100% Guaranteed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2003, 10:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks