Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Hangouts Going Away and Switching to Voice - Outside the USA?

Feedback Score

Google Hangouts Going Away and Switching to Voice - Outside the USA?

Hey all. So I have a US google voice number many years ago. I used it when in the US when at home with wifi back then when I discontinued with my phone carrier. I then traveled outside the US a bit, such as to Canada and in Mexico. So I didn't really have a purpose for a monthly US phone plan anymore as I was always traveling.

I am in Mexico right now and still using the google hangouts app on my iphone to call/text people back in the US. I do have a Mexican sim card and number so I use that to use data here. I also use whatsapp which is very popular here. I rarely if ever use my mexican cell phone number to call anyone as I either use whatsapp to people here in Mexico... or I use my google hangouts app to call people in the US or text them etc.

I noticed when I opened the google hangouts app on my phone, I see message

Hangouts phone calling is going away soon, but Google Voice can keep you texting and calling. Learn more. And option of Not Now or Switch to Voice.

Now to me this is a big concern. I read online that google hangouts will no longer work in 5 days is that correct? So that would mean if I don't do anything right now and then 5 days later I try hangouts to call/text people in the US, it wouldn't work? Few years ago when I was in Mexico, I remember I uninstalled google hangouts app on my iphone because it had some update issue. I then installed it again while in Mexico. Then I noticed... I could not call/text for free anymore in Mexico. When I went back to the US, I installed google hangouts... and then it worked in the US. Then when I traveled to Mexico, it worked. So I made sure to never uninstall google hangouts while outside the US. Does anyone know if that is still an issue?

So would I have the same situation that will happen again? Because I would need to install the google voice app on my iphone from the app store? I want to make sure I'm able to call/text people in the US with my google hangouts number while here in Mexico. Of course when im in my apartment in Mexico, I use my wifi... and I use my Mexican data plan when using hangouts when outside in Mexico.

Can someone here clarify all this for me with the new update? I don't want to make a mistake where I can't use my google voice number/hangouts to call/text while here. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Can others confirm right now that you could use google voice/hangouts outside the US such as Canada and Mexico? I know most of you who do travel, well you obviously have a mobile US number with a carrier. But does your google voice number work to call/text when outside the US?

I found google voice number great because whether im in the US or outside the US, as long as I have wifi, then I could call/text for free. I would like to know if anyone is outside the US right now and relies on google voice number to call/text people in the US could tell me if this new update affect them? Obviously if you are in the USA right now, doing the update would have no issue etc.

Feedback Score
    It won't affect anything with the core of the GV service. If Hangouts stops working, simply install the GV app.

If for some reason you can't install the GV app from the Play Store from your location, just find the GV apk online and side load it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    It won't affect anything with the core of the GV service. If Hangouts stops working, simply install the GV app.

If for some reason you can't install the GV app from the Play Store from your location, just find the GV apk online and side load it.

So do I do anything now then? Or just do not do anything at all?

So once hangouts stops working, install the GV app from where? Google site or app store? I use an iphone.

My concern is if i install the Google Voice app now since im outside the USA... it won't work. Or it should work?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I switched from Hangouts app to the Google Voice app about 12-15 months ago on an iPhone in the USA. It works great.

Now, I have no idea about installing it while outside the USA. You could try the GV app instillation while leaving the Hangouts app installed

simultaneously- see if GV app works for awhile. Then proceed from there. Best wishes.

Feedback Score
    Just install Google Voice now. I have both installed in my phones and use them both.

GV app works outside the US. I’ved used it in Europe, Asia, Canada.

I have both iPhone and Android phones.

Feedback Score
    I installed the GV app over 2 years ago just to have for testing purposes, and it does work alongside Hangouts, except for sending texts, which will only be available when I disable Hangouts integration.

So, yes, install the GV app now. Since you now specified iPhone, I think iPhone locks down installing apps from the Apple App Store only, so you'll have to install the GV app from there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Just install Google Voice now. I have both installed in my phones and use them both.

GV app works outside the US. I’ved used it in Europe, Asia, Canada.

I have both iPhone and Android phones.

But did you install google voice while in the US though? Or outside the US? Im concerned if i install it here outside the US... it won't work like years ago until I go back to the US and then install it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I installed the GV app over 2 years ago just to have for testing purposes, and it does work alongside Hangouts, except for sending texts, which will only be available when I disable Hangouts integration.

So, yes, install the GV app now. Since you now specified iPhone, I think iPhone locks down installing apps from the Apple App Store only, so you'll have to install the GV app from there.

So the only way to install google voice from my iphone is the app store right? You can't do it on google site right? I am pretty certain I installed google hangouts years ago... via apple store. Can others confirm here installing Google voice is only with the Apple app store?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly02 View Post
    But did you install google voice while in the US though? Or outside the US? Im concerned if i install it here outside the US... it won't work like years ago until I go back to the US and then install it.
    I installed Gv while in the Us. I don’t remember if I’ve ever had to install Gv while outside the US. I do remember that I had to use VPN to get my 2 GV numbers in 2009 bc I was in Canada. I think (not sure) there wasn’t any app yet at that time.

The App Store does restrict installation depending on country.

When I’m in the US and want to install an app not available in the US, I change my address to a foreign address in iPhone settings and I use VPN to change my IP address.

I did the same on an Android for a visiting friend. He couldn’t install US apps while in the US so I changed his Playstore address.

So, try doing the reverse. Check the billing address you have now in your iPhone settings. Use apps (e.g., Windscribe) to change ur IP address temporarily to one located in the US. Then, DL and install GV and test it.

If it does happen that u find ur Gv app isn’t working when ur back in the Us, just uninstall and reinstall.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    I installed Gv while in the Us. I don’t remember if I’ve ever had to install Gv while outside the US. I do remember that I had to use VPN to get my 2 GV numbers in 2009 bc I was in Canada. I think (not sure) there wasn’t any app yet at that time.

The App Store does restrict installation depending on country.

When I’m in the US and want to install an app not available in the US, I change my address to a foreign address in iPhone settings and I use VPN to change my IP address.

I did the same on an Android for a visiting friend. He couldn’t install US apps while in the US so I changed his Playstore address.

So, try doing the reverse. Check the billing address you have now in your iPhone settings. Use apps (e.g., Windscribe) to change ur IP address temporarily to one located in the US. Then, DL and install GV and test it.

If it does happen that u find ur Gv app isn’t working when ur back in the Us, just uninstall and reinstall.

Okay well right now I"m not going to do anything just yet. But is tomorrow the last hangouts will work? Is it fine if i don't download google voice until hangouts stop working?

Then once hangouts don't work, then download google voice from apple app store to see if it works? But no matter what, I still would be able to use hangouts or voice on my laptop? I remember years ago, I use to use my gmail and call from my laptop while in Canada back to the US and it worked... this was when I already got a google voice number but for some reason, I couldn't call on the iphone... only on my laptop in gmail.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    When Google says "calling" in Hangouts is going away, regardless of when, that means from any/all devices and modes, including from your computer through a browser where you've got Gmail up, or you're logged into hangouts.google.com. No calling or texting, things related to what would or could go over phone circuits. This does not include Hangouts' original function of Instant Messaging to other Hangouts users. But that function will transition over to the soon to be released and publicized Google Chat.

Actually it already exists in the corporate/enterprise-level networking world. I've got a Google Chat app installed on my work iPhone (from a public school system), although our setup doesn't have it "turned on" yet (like many school systems we're highly Google-integrated), and may not for some time. We've got Hangouts in the left panel of all of our Gmail accounts (and many have the app on their phones), and no word has been given for that product to change, although our administrator isn't one to prep and announce things with much lead time. It'll probably just appear one day and some people will catch on while others flounder and give our IT dept. a call. But of course our use of it is strictly for IM functions.

Feedback Score
    So I didn't do anything... google hangouts still works on my iphone. Anyone know how long this will continue?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly02 View Post
    So I didn't do anything... google hangouts still works on my iphone. Anyone know how long this will continue?
    Until some time next year, based on statements by Google.

Feedback Score
    Okay thanks. But is it fine if I click on NOT NOW in that message on google hangouts where it ask me to change to google voice?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast