Thread: Band 71 66 Miles away

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score

Band 71 66 Miles away

Was at Mt. Mitchell, North Carolina last week, at the top of the mountain connected to a tower in Virginia above Bristol, TN, Also connected to another Band 71 tower in TN around that area as well. Around 66 miles!

https://imgur.com/a/HU5Hp7o

Its been 10 years since the last I was up there, Which I remember connecting to a Verizon Tennesee tower back in the day when I had CDMA.
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Was at Mt. Mitchell, North Carolina last week, at the top of the mountain connected to a tower in Virginia above Bristol, TN, Also connected to another Band 71 tower in TN around that area as well. Around 66 miles!

https://imgur.com/a/HU5Hp7o

Its been 10 years since the last I was up there, Which I remember connecting to a Verizon Tennesee tower back in the day when I had CDMA.
    When I lived in Toronto, Canada 10 years ago, sometimes, I got connected to US T-Mobile's band 4 network which is at least 150 miles away's tower in NY....

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    When I was in southern edge of KY years back and got analog-only service from across the state line in TN; mountains blocked the much closer signal from in Kentucky; both the digital and analog signal from TN were like 3-4 bars, but (since they had a different cellular license on each side of the state line) the digital was range-limited so it would drop dead right at the state line, analog did not support this so it worked fine. No problem now I suppose, VZW's got 50-state license for band 13 at least.

66 miles is a pretty good range! What kind of speeds were you getting out there? (To be honest, on extremely weak 4G I've not been disappointed, EVDO's 3.1mbps max dropped to below 128kbps at that 0-1 bar; percentage-wise 4G speeds drop almost as badly, but getting like 1mbps at low signal sure beats getting like 50kbps or something you'd get back then.)

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    When I was in southern edge of KY years back and got analog-only service from across the state line in TN; mountains blocked the much closer signal from in Kentucky; both the digital and analog signal from TN were like 3-4 bars, but (since they had a different cellular license on each side of the state line) the digital was range-limited so it would drop dead right at the state line, analog did not support this so it worked fine. No problem now I suppose, VZW's got 50-state license for band 13 at least.

66 miles is a pretty good range! What kind of speeds were you getting out there? (To be honest, on extremely weak 4G I've not been disappointed, EVDO's 3.1mbps max dropped to below 128kbps at that 0-1 bar; percentage-wise 4G speeds drop almost as badly, but getting like 1mbps at low signal sure beats getting like 50kbps or something you'd get back then.)
    Around 3mbps down and 0.15mbps up. Kept going between T-Mobile and U.S.Cellular roaming. -123 dBm average

It was bouncing all over the place. Canton NC, Fall Branch TN, Kings Mountain NC, Newton NC, Bristol TN, Gate City VA

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That reminds me of the signal in MI south of West Branch. My phone clung onto B12 at somewhere around -120dBm but didn't lose service. I suspect now with Sprint roaming it would handoff to B41/B25/B26 which I did 'see' as neighbor cells back in eat October.

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Ironically, I've had US Cellular roaming on my VZW plan "forever", but it was 1x (no 3G roaming agreement) so like 80-100kbps speeds; VZW got a 4G roaming agreement within the last couple years, but the newer plan I'm on throttles roaming to 128kbps. It's "faster" now, by a whole 20-40kbps or so It's weird in SW Wisconsin, off highway 151 VZW has about 50% coverage, USCC has about 50% coverage, about 90% combined; go around those side roads, service flips back and forth on virtually every switchback, so every 10 or 15 seconds. I was impressed a VoLTE call I made along their stayed up (they did not have 1x voice handing off along there...), data was pretty odd having the data flip between 1-3mbps (low VZW signal) and 128kbps (low USCC signal, but throttled to 128kbps; but whatever, I was streaming some radio and it kept playing.)

Device(s)
    Nokia 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA / Play (Poland)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    When I lived in Toronto, Canada 10 years ago, sometimes, I got connected to US T-Mobile's band 4 network which is at least 150 miles away's tower in NY....

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    How is Toronto 150 miles away from T-Mobile's tower in NY? It would be 40 miles at most to Niagara Falls towers, across the water too, which makes it pretty easy to bounce the signal on.

Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score
    I have seen this also along the lakefront in Toronto. Buildings facing south you can see New York shoreline on clear days can get all carriers just can't make calls phone can't communicate with the towers 30 miles away kind of cool though ha

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk