Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: T-Mobile activates mid-band 5G in nearly 200 new cities and towns

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,581
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    T-Mobile activates mid-band 5G in nearly 200 new cities and towns

    Name:  IMG_0210.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  148.1 KB

    https://www.tmonews.com/2020/10/t-mo...-cities-towns/

    This is on top of the 200+ cities/towns activated 2 weeks ago.

    Looking ahead, T-Mo says that it’s activating mid-band 5G on 1,000 sites per month. It plans to cover 100 million people with 2.5GHz 5G by the end of 2020, which would be a significant increase from the 25 million that are covered today.

    Is your town covered?

    New cities/towns include:

    Arizona:
    Eloy

    Arkansas:
    North Little Rock

    California:
    Azusa
    Baldwin Park
    Florence-Graham
    Garden Grove
    Monrovia
    Norwalk
    Ontario
    Temple City
    Walnut Park
    West Carson

    Connecticut:
    New Haven

    Florida:
    East Lake-Orient Park
    Elfers
    Inwood
    Longwood
    Minneola
    New Port Richey
    Nokomis
    Oak Ridge
    Port Richey
    Sky Lake
    Venice
    Zephyrhills

    Georgia:
    Dallas
    Grayson
    Johns Creek
    Newnan
    Riverdale
    Smyrna

    Illinois:
    Arlington Heights
    Aurora
    Batavia
    Bloomington
    Bridgeview
    Champaign
    Channahon
    Cicero
    Dolton
    Elgin
    Elk Grove Village
    Granite City
    Lansing
    Lemont
    Maywood
    Mount Prospect
    Naperville
    Niles
    Norridge
    Oak Lawn
    Pekin
    Richton Park
    Schaumburg
    South Chicago Heights
    Urbana
    Waukegan

    Indiana:
    Evansville
    Greenwood
    Hammond
    Indianapolis city (balance)
    Lawrence

    Kansas:
    Overland Park
    Pittsburg
    Wichita

    Maryland:
    Crofton
    Largo
    Maryland City
    Middle River
    Severn
    Urbana

    Michigan:
    Center Line
    Clinton
    Eastpointe
    Inkster
    Warren

    Minnesota:
    Columbia Heights
    Elk River
    Hilltop

    Missouri:
    Carthage
    Charlack
    Clayton
    Columbia
    Foristell
    Kirkwood
    Lake Mykee Town
    New Bloomfield
    Raytown
    St. Louis
    University City

    Nevada:
    Enterprise

    New Jersey:
    Brooklawn
    Dover
    East Newark
    East Orange
    Elizabeth
    Fair Lawn
    Glen Rock
    Guttenberg
    Hoboken
    Interlaken
    Kearny
    Linden
    Morristown
    Newark
    Pine Hill
    Pine Valley
    Rutherford
    Secaucus
    Somerville
    Union City
    Wanamassa
    West New York
    Wharton

    New York:
    Babylon
    Central Islip
    Green Island
    Troy
    West Babylon

    North Carolina:
    Apex
    Asheville
    Charlotte
    Concord
    Hendersonville
    Valley Hill
    Vanceboro
    Youngsville

    Ohio:
    Avalon
    Brooklyn
    Cincinnati
    Columbus
    Hamilton
    Hanover
    Lancaster
    London
    McKees Rocks
    Monroe
    Rossmoyne

    Oklahoma:
    Choctaw
    Del City
    Smith Village

    Pennsylvania:
    Aldan
    Aliquippa
    Allentown
    Arnold
    Beaver
    Bellmawr
    Bethlehem
    Blawnox
    Brackenridge
    Bridgewater
    Bryn Mawr
    Chester
    Folsom
    Munhall
    New Kensington
    Ridley Park
    Rutledge
    Tarentum
    Upland
    Verona
    Whitaker
    Youngstown

    Rhode Island:
    Woonsocket

    South Carolina:
    Goose Creek
    Sangaree

    Tennessee:
    Berry Hill
    Franklin
    Hendersonville
    Knoxville
    Maryville

    Texas:
    Bacliff
    Cloverleaf
    Fifth Street
    Jacinto City
    La Porte
    Shenandoah
    South Houston
    Stafford

    Virginia:
    Brambleton
    Broadlands
    Falls Church
    Hampton
    Herndon
    Loudoun Valley Estates
    Manassas
    Manassas Park
    Merrifield
    Richmond
    Springfield
    Yorkshire

    Washington:
    Burien
    Monroe

    Wisconsin:
    Beloit
    Milwaukee
    Neenah
    South Milwaukee
    West Allis





    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    122
    Feedback Score
    0
    Makes sense now. I was in Largo, Maryland a few times earlier this week and I did several speed tests(on my One Plus 8 5G) while there and they all came back over 200+ megabit down. I was wondering if they had changed something and know I know why.

    Great download speedtests. Looks great on the phone. However, why don't I feel all that excited though? Hmmmmmm
    Last edited by navyson; 10-28-2020 at 07:53 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,659
    Feedback Score
    0
    Nope. Why does Illinois get all the love? 45+ cities last update over 2 dozen this time. Meanwhile TN hardly get ****

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    122
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Nope. Why does Illinois get all the love? 45+ cities last update over 2 dozen this time. Meanwhile TN hardly get ****
    No love for NYC also. Nothing on the list.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    12,005
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Nope.. no n41 buildouts here, but I don't expect it to for a while. Coverage and performance is good here in general, so I don't expect it to be highest of priority.

    Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,607
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by navyson View Post
    No love for NYC also. Nothing on the list.
    This list is just cities added in the last two weeks. NYC was one of the first places where T-Mobile deployed band 41. Now, Sprint's network in NYC is highly dependent on band 41, so there might not be hundreds of MHz to spare, until that network is decommissioned/assimilated.
    Donald Newcomb

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    122
    Feedback Score
    0
    When T-mobile says they have upgraded a particular town(like Largo, Maryland in the list above), do they normally upgrade all of the cell sites in that area before they announce it or is there a possibility that a few sites within that town are still not upgraded at the time of the announcement?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,581
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    T-Mobile activates mid-band 5G in nearly 200 new cities and towns

    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Nope.. no n41 buildouts here, but I don't expect it to for a while. Coverage and performance is good here in general, so I don't expect it to be highest of priority.

    Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app

    Agreed.

    And remember the CPUC tried to force T-Mobile to provide an average of 300 Mbps to 93% of California by 2024 but Magenta clapped back.

    https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...g-requirements






    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    12,005
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by navyson View Post
    When T-mobile says they have upgraded a particular town(like Largo, Maryland in the list above), do they normally upgrade all of the cell sites in that area before they announce it or is there a possibility that a few sites within that town are still not upgraded at the time of the announcement?
    Depending on the size of the community. The first 2 that I saw in MI, were towns of < 5,000 people, that had 1 cell tower... so its easy to state that it was completed.
    When T-Mobile lists communities that have many cell sites.... I suspect that 'some' will be updated to n41. Eg. In San Fernando, CA, its a relatively small city within Los Angeles, and has ~10 cell sites. At least 2 show B41 on cell mapper. It is possible that they've updated all, but not likely.
    Similarly, when claims of 'Los Angeles' having n41, there's probably +500 cell sites just in the city alone. It'll be a while. Areas with dense population will need it first, IMHO.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    12,005
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Agreed.

    And remember the CPUC tried to force T-Mobile to provide an average of 300 Mbps to 93% of California by 2024 but Magenta clapped back.

    https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...g-requirements
    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Given the amount of cell sites in California... having an 'average' of 300Mbps by 2024 is a lot of work. Not impossible, but when carriers have to fight local/county and state governments for upgrading much of this gear... it can take a while. I don't blame them for not wanting to enter into an agreement, unless they had an ace up their sleeve. Local/state gov't agencies could stall them just to have them fork over a lot of money.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,111
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Nope. Why does Illinois get all the love? 45+ cities last update over 2 dozen this time. Meanwhile TN hardly get ****
    Most of the IL "cities" listed in both releases were just suburbs of Chicago or the immediate counties, and some are just simply what we consider to just be neighborhoods inside Chicago.

    Really, they're just moving fast to integrate here in Chicago and it sounds better than just saying "Chicago Metro"
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    941
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Most of the IL "cities" listed in both releases were just suburbs of Chicago or the immediate counties, and some are just simply what we consider to just be neighborhoods inside Chicago.

    Really, they're just moving fast to integrate here in Chicago and it sounds better than just saying "Chicago Metro"
    From what I've seen/heard over the years, Chicago was always a really good Sprint market, so I suspect they'd want to keep those customers and make the transition as smooth as possible. That's not to say other areas don't matter, but it seemed that in many parts of Chicago, Sprint wasn't seen as the running-out-of-money carrier with spotty service that usually gets painted elsewhere.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,111
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    From what I've seen/heard over the years, Chicago was always a really good Sprint market, so I suspect they'd want to keep those customers and make the transition as smooth as possible. That's not to say other areas don't matter, but it seemed that in many parts of Chicago, Sprint wasn't seen as the running-out-of-money carrier with spotty service that usually gets painted elsewhere.
    Sprint was actually solid in IL, IN, and OH. I’m from Columbus and quite a few people had Sprint. It had some hiccups during Network Vision, but overall the service was solid, even rurally

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    941
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Sprint was actually solid in IL, IN, and OH. I’m from Columbus and quite a few people had Sprint. It had some hiccups during Network Vision, but overall the service was solid, even rurally
    Yep, I grew up in NW Indiana and there were quite a few people in that area with Sprint that really liked it. Indianapolis also seemed like a good Sprint market—when I was looking at various carriers at work, I had bought into the "Sprint is garbage" talk, but gave them a try—I was pleasantly surprised with the speeds I got on test devices when they'd hit LTE Band 41.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-14-2020, 07:31 PM
  2. Freedom Mobile now testing Band 13 in select markets
    By syzuie in forum Freedom Mobile (previously Wind Mobile)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-30-2018, 10:12 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-26-2018, 08:02 PM
  4. Is T-Mobile finally using Band 2 in STL?
    By JSMB1997 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2016, 10:54 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2015, 12:20 PM

Bookmarks