Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10/27 Uncarrier announcement likely TVision related

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    You can, of course, get free TV via antenna. Or, stream numerous local channels via Locast.org (they ask for $5/mo.donation).
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    You can, of course, get free TV via antenna. Or, stream numerous local channels via Locast.org (they ask for $5/mo.donation).

unfortunately locast isn't available everywhere, but hopefully it can expand to more cities etc. People have been leaving cable (cord cutting) only for networks for force the same stuff onto streaming companies. Next big thing will be streaming cutting, I guess. It doesn't sound as catchy as cord cutting, but once ATSC 3.0 rolls out (4k resolution over the air) to more areas, you'll probably see the pendulum so to speak, swing back in that direction. I feel like streaming tv costs is too high currently and if it goes any higher, a lot of people will start to drop it just like cable

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Yes, that's what I'm thinking of.

Doubtful it would be about nothing as it is likely a new service. The potential differentiator from all of the services listed is they require a broadband connection. In theory, T-Mobile could deliver this content directly via B41/n41 and the customer wouldn't have to have broadband to just get TV channels.
    They'd actually have to deploy band 41 first. Also who cares about linear TV anymore?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    unfortunately locast isn't available everywhere,
    Neither is band 41 fi that's what they are using on this as someone else suggested

but once ATSC 3.0 rolls out (4k resolution over the air) to more areas, you'll probably see the pendulum so to speak, swing back in that direction.
    ATSC 3.0 will be at best 1080p 60 fps with HDR for quite awhile. Which is an improvement. 4K will be niche and at teh end of the day all that provides is the local channels

I feel like streaming tv costs is too high currently and if it goes any higher, a lot of people will start to drop it just like cable
    Blame the owners of the content not the ones who distribute it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    This is the same finger-pointing that cable and satellite companies have been doing for years. Instead of using their clout and hiring better negotiators, they've just been lying to the masses about this while laughing all the way to the bank with the content creators. I don't believe for one second that they can't negotiate better terms if they really want to. Dish network seems to have been the only one willing to walk away from bad distribution deals, and this is often why they have blackouts and don't carry certain networks anymore.

That's fine. People have been voting with their wallets. I can see books making a big comeback if things ever get too ridiculous.

Feedback Score
    They'd actually have to deploy band 41 first. Also who cares about linear TV anymore?
    B41 is deployed in many areas of the country.

Also who cares about linear TV
    I'll let you do your own market research to find out the source of the revenue that is generated. T-Mobile already has, that's why they're entering this business.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'll agree that T-Mobile, like Verizon and AT&T will get into the media business. They won't want to be considered just a 'dumb pipe', and similarly, as these media companies grow, they'll have to worry about being taken over by a media corp if they don't.

I will be somewhat disappointed (but not surprised) if T-Mobile becomes another AT&T/Verizon in the media field, and will no longer be the 'uncarrier' that they were (or were considered to be). The network will in effect become a commodity... even media is 'somewhat' becoming a commodity, although much of it is owned / run by a few giant media corps (NBC Universal/Comcast, ABC-Disney-Hulu, AT&T-TimeWarner, etc.).
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    I already did in my previous post before the one you quoted, but I guess you were not paying attention
    thanks for your helpful insight though lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    This is the same finger-pointing that cable and satellite companies have been doing for years. Instead of using their clout and hiring better negotiators, they've just been lying to the masses about this while laughing all the way to the bank with the content creators. I don't believe for one second that they can't negotiate better terms if they really want to. Dish network seems to have been the only one willing to walk away from bad distribution deals, and this is often why they have blackouts and don't carry certain networks anymore.

That's fine. People have been voting with their wallets. I can see books making a big comeback if things ever get too ridiculous.
    I've seen some pushback recently. For example a couple of streaming providers (I think youtube tv and hulu) are dropping some fox regional stations because presumably sinclair was asking too much for access to air/stream Fox sports and "YES" network etc

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    ..... Dish network seems to have been the only one willing to walk away from bad distribution deals, and this is often why they have blackouts and don't carry certain networks anymore.....
    What amazes me is how people panic when their satellite TV provider stops carrying the local OTA TV stations. WTF? When did it become efficient to beam a signal 20K miles into space and back again to get across town? And the TV station gets paid by the satellite company to carry their content and adds. Insane. The consumers are their own worst enemies.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    What amazes me is how people panic when their satellite TV provider stops carrying the local OTA TV stations. WTF? When did it become efficient to beam a signal 20K miles into space and back again to get across town? And the TV station gets paid by the satellite company to carry their content and adds. Insane. The consumers are their own worst enemies.
    What I do not get is how these OTA stations can demand payment to be carried on cable/satellite providers. They’re providing OTA for “free” so that alone already undermines the value to “free” to begin with...
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Feedback Score
    Dish network seems to have been the only one willing to walk away from bad distribution deals, and this is often why they have blackouts and don't carry certain networks anymore.
    Yes and every time they do they lose customers who never come back because they leave for a pay TV operator who did pay teh higher price. So how is that a win for anyone? if you stay as cutworms you price doesn't go up but you pay the same amount for few channels. Dish loses customers and thus loses revenue. Eventually they will go under. No one should have to "negotiate" with Disney for them to stop chagrin $10 for ESPN. Disney should not be a **** and charge $10 for ESPN or at least let companies put it on a separate sport tier

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    because not everyone can get in their "locals"

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    What I do not get is how these OTA stations can demand payment to be carried on cable/satellite providers. They’re providing OTA for “free” so that alone already undermines the value to “free” to begin with...
    I'm sure it has to do with copyright.

because not everyone can get in their "locals"
    Communities in mountain valleys are the origin of cable-TV and TV translators. They have an issue but there are also people who have a satellite dish who could pick up their local TV stations with "rabbit ears" and don't seem to know how to manage it. If it doesn't show up on their cable box, it doesn't exist.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Because the cable/satellite providers are charging the customers money to bring this content to their residence. Free to consumers doesn't mean free to wholesalers who can profit from your content. One has to have a license to rebroadcast another's content.

This was settled by the Supreme Court when Aereo lost and had to shut down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aereo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast