Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Some updates we noticed regarding Sprint MVNO's post merger

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    321
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Some updates we noticed regarding Sprint MVNO's post merger

    GenMobile has apparently quietly began offering GSM service, as per their new Coverage Page.
    GenMobile used to support Sprint, but now it looks like they are offering service on T-Mobile as well.
    https://www.genmobile.com/pages/why-gen-mobile

    We can already confirm that Hello Mobile is already sending out T-Mobile SIM cards for BYOD devices.
    We got a T-Mobile SIM card for a BYOD device to upgrade to T-Mobile.
    They still sell Sprint Phones, but we just noticed their first T-Mobile Device, the MUV.
    It also appears the phones now listed on Hello Mobile support both Sprint and T-Mobile.

    Kroger Wireless' Coverage Page now shows a T-Mobile Coverage map, which indicates they have also made the switch to T-Mobile.
    They also sell both Sprint and T-Mobile devices.

    Madstar Mobile seems to mainly still be on Sprint, but we did see one T-Mobile device in their lineup.

    Patriot Mobile shows a Sprint Coverage map with extended roaming, but again we found a T-Mobile device in their lineup.

    Tello has announced that they will begin moving their customers to T-Mobile before the end of the year:
    https://blog.tello.com/news/tello-an...sprint-merger/
    They currently still mainly sell Sprint devices and have a Sprint coverage map, however the two devices I personally have owned on Tello also list as compatible with T-Mobile. (According to T-Mobile's IMEI checker.) These devices do have at least minimal support, with even my iPhone showing the main 3 bands needed. (No LTE 66 or 71 though)
    I have also noticed that most the devices sold on Tello, even while older, show at lease minimum support for both Sprint and T-Mobile.
    They also announced that VoLTE is coming with the migration to T-Mobile. (Hopefully they begin offering wifi calling too)

    Twigby seems more lined up to move to Verizon, since they already have Verizon as their main roaming partner and Sprint as their primary.

    The big note here is it appears that T-Mobile appears aligned to begin shutting down Sprint's CDMA network as early as mid-2021.
    I have noticed most devices being sold are at least partially compatible with T-Mobile or other networks, even if many Sprint MVNO's have not made any announcements regarding the merger.

    We are also mainly looking at carriers that were primarily Sprint-only MVNO's since those with agreements with other carriers can simply stop selling Sprint based devices and plans.

    Per the Tello announcement, Sprint CDMA service (at least on their end) will work up until at least mid-2021.
    "The new network will continue basic CDMA voice service even on older phones until at least mid-2021."

    So we may all be moved to T-Mobile rather quickly and Sprint's CDMA service may be turned off as early as 2021, perhaps so T-Mobile may begin offloading those towers to Dish. (Hell, T-Mobile may just simply transfer ownership of the full CDMA network to Dish next year while leaving it turned on. Just that now that it would be owned by Dish, Sprint customers and MVNO's will no longer have access to it.)


    Access Wireless also just responded to our e-mail's regarding recent Sprint changes with the following:
    Hello, Thank you for contacting us. In light of the Sprint / T-Mobile merger, we were recently made aware that Sprint is working to turn down the older CDMA network towards the end of 2021. Access Wireless is assessing how this will affect some of our customers & working on a solution. For now, everyone’s phone will continue to work as it has been. We will reach out to those impacted once we have more concrete information to share.
    Drako Swiftclaw

    Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    429
    Feedback Score
    0
    Figures. We moved to the Oklahoma City area in August of this years and ended up signing on with Tello after trying Tmobile, Att and Verizon mvnos. I travel all over Oklahoma City and Sprint has consistent data service whereas the others have very spotty service.



    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    GenMobile has apparently quietly began offering GSM service, as per their new Coverage Page.
    GenMobile used to support Sprint, but now it looks like they are offering service on T-Mobile as well.
    https://www.genmobile.com/pages/why-gen-mobile

    We can already confirm that Hello Mobile is already sending out T-Mobile SIM cards for BYOD devices.
    We got a T-Mobile SIM card for a BYOD device to upgrade to T-Mobile.
    They still sell Sprint Phones, but we just noticed their first T-Mobile Device, the MUV.
    It also appears the phones now listed on Hello Mobile support both Sprint and T-Mobile.

    Kroger Wireless' Coverage Page now shows a T-Mobile Coverage map, which indicates they have also made the switch to T-Mobile.
    They also sell both Sprint and T-Mobile devices.

    Madstar Mobile seems to mainly still be on Sprint, but we did see one T-Mobile device in their lineup.

    Patriot Mobile shows a Sprint Coverage map with extended roaming, but again we found a T-Mobile device in their lineup.

    Tello has announced that they will begin moving their customers to T-Mobile before the end of the year:
    https://blog.tello.com/news/tello-an...sprint-merger/
    They currently still mainly sell Sprint devices and have a Sprint coverage map, however the two devices I personally have owned on Tello also list as compatible with T-Mobile. (According to T-Mobile's IMEI checker.) These devices do have at least minimal support, with even my iPhone showing the main 3 bands needed. (No LTE 66 or 71 though)
    I have also noticed that most the devices sold on Tello, even while older, show at lease minimum support for both Sprint and T-Mobile.
    They also announced that VoLTE is coming with the migration to T-Mobile. (Hopefully they begin offering wifi calling too)

    Twigby seems more lined up to move to Verizon, since they already have Verizon as their main roaming partner and Sprint as their primary.

    The big note here is it appears that T-Mobile appears aligned to begin shutting down Sprint's CDMA network as early as mid-2021.
    I have noticed most devices being sold are at least partially compatible with T-Mobile or other networks, even if many Sprint MVNO's have not made any announcements regarding the merger.

    We are also mainly looking at carriers that were primarily Sprint-only MVNO's since those with agreements with other carriers can simply stop selling Sprint based devices and plans.

    Per the Tello announcement, Sprint CDMA service (at least on their end) will work up until at least mid-2021.
    "The new network will continue basic CDMA voice service even on older phones until at least mid-2021."

    So we may all be moved to T-Mobile rather quickly and Sprint's CDMA service may be turned off as early as 2021, perhaps so T-Mobile may begin offloading those towers to Dish. (Hell, T-Mobile may just simply transfer ownership of the full CDMA network to Dish next year while leaving it turned on. Just that now that it would be owned by Dish, Sprint customers and MVNO's will no longer have access to it.)


    Access Wireless also just responded to our e-mail's regarding recent Sprint changes with the following:
    Hello, Thank you for contacting us. In light of the Sprint / T-Mobile merger, we were recently made aware that Sprint is working to turn down the older CDMA network towards the end of 2021. Access Wireless is assessing how this will affect some of our customers & working on a solution. For now, everyone’s phone will continue to work as it has been. We will reach out to those impacted once we have more concrete information to share.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    321
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ces1948 View Post
    Figures. We moved to the Oklahoma City area in August of this years and ended up signing on with Tello after trying Tmobile, Att and Verizon mvnos. I travel all over Oklahoma City and Sprint has consistent data service whereas the others have very spotty service.
    It was bound to happen and T-Mobile is working feverishly to integrate the networks. There's already many elements from Sprint's LTE that has been transferred over. This move will allow T-Mobile to migrate the rest of the network in and shut down the aging CDMA network. (Which is planned to be completed the end of next year)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,041
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah some Sprint customers will be screwed because in a few instances their coverage will get worse. Not a high percentage but what does that matter if it's you & yours?
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    429
    Feedback Score
    0
    Maybe I have the wrong take on this. Won't Sprints LTE data network be integrated into T-mobile. For instance my Tello Sprint service is on B26 90% of the time. Will that change?



    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    It was bound to happen and T-Mobile is working feverishly to integrate the networks. There's already many elements from Sprint's LTE that has been transferred over. This move will allow T-Mobile to migrate the rest of the network in and shut down the aging CDMA network. (Which is planned to be completed the end of next year)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    321
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ces1948 View Post
    Maybe I have the wrong take on this. Won't Sprints LTE data network be integrated into T-mobile. For instance my Tello Sprint service is on B26 90% of the time. Will that change?
    In some markets, the integration is already taking place and in some cases Sprint/MVNO customers that do not already have access to T-Mobile's network will soon begin to notice signal degradation if they have not already begun to notice it.

    For me, the band 26 that was being transmitted by a T-Mo/Sprint tower down the hill from my house is now no longer usable by my Tello Sprint SIM, so I am eagerly awaiting Tello's transition to T-Mobile. (Because now I only get 1xRTT inside/behind my house and barely get 3G/EVDO for at least two blocks around my house.)


    The bands 25/26/41 up the hill by the Red Apple is still usable, once I'm within range of the nodes.
    Though I am on band 41 most of the time now and barely see any 25/26.

    This is North Beacon Hill in Seattle.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    321
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Yeah some Sprint customers will be screwed because in a few instances their coverage will get worse. Not a high percentage but what does that matter if it's you & yours?
    Especially if their devices are CDMA only, since Sprint was the only carrier to not have widespread support for VoLTE.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    79
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ces1948 View Post
    Maybe I have the wrong take on this. Won't Sprints LTE data network be integrated into T-mobile. For instance my Tello Sprint service is on B26 90% of the time. Will that change?
    For the most part you are correct, sprints network will be integrated into tmobiles and will broadcast as a tmobile signal. Band 26 though is up in the air. Band 26 was part of the merger agreement with the DOJ on allowing the merger to proceed. Dish network has the opportunity to buy band 26, they have first shot. If dish cannot reach an agreement with tmobile on band 26, or declined to buy it, tmobile must auction it off. If a certain price is not met in auction, tmobile can keep band 26.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    496
    Feedback Score
    0
    Does anyone know if I can I just pop in a Tello T-Mobile compatible sim in my iPhone SE (1st gen) that is currently on Tello's Sprint network when they transition over next year?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    321
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jw530 View Post
    Does anyone know if I can I just pop in a Tello T-Mobile compatible sim in my iPhone SE (1st gen) that is currently on Tello's Sprint network when they transition over next year?
    So far, Tello has stated the transition will happen "before the end of the year" and they seem to want everyone to switch over before next year to ensure there is no service disruptions. They also just announced that a start date will be announced soon on Facebook.

    You will need to order a new SIM from Tello. As long as the iPhone SE was ordered from Tello it should be compatible with the new network so you can order the new SIM. Any device they list on their site that they "quietly" changed the tech status to show support for VoLTE will be compatible with the new network. (Will show VoLTE in the Technology box)

    I also have an SE that I just ordered from them about 3 weeks ago.

    I say wait until they announce the start of the change and the new SIMs being available before ordering a new SIM though.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    496
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow, Tello had better hurry up to get this done by end of year. That is a lot of accounts to switch over in a few weeks including the holidays. My iPhone SE is not from Tello. Were some SEs locked to Sprint or were they all unlocked to work on GSM networks?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just got in on the $74.00 Sprint Galaxy A50 Walmart deal cuz I figured that Sprint will need to unlock them to work on T-Mobile's network. After a long call to customer service, mine is supposed to be unlocked within 72 hours. Gonna use it on At&t but will eventually test out T-Mobile's coverage again to see if it has improved at all.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    321
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jw530 View Post
    Wow, Tello had better hurry up to get this done by end of year. That is a lot of accounts to switch over in a few weeks including the holidays. My iPhone SE is not from Tello. Were some SEs locked to Sprint or were they all unlocked to work on GSM networks?
    As far as I know, there doesn't seem to be any differences for the iPhones between carriers, though they may be carrier locked.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    496
    Feedback Score
    0
    I read on Tello's blog that the Moto E4, that a lot of HoFo viewers have, won't work on the new Tmobile network.

    "Oh, Rick, I hate to deliver bad news, but since MOTO E4 is an older model, it won’t be a match for the new GSM network, sorry." Maria Dima says: October 15, 2020 at 8:48 am

    Is this true even for the unlocked or GSM unlocked Moto E4?

    1. I thought the (unlocked) model had VoLTE capability.
    2. Tmobile won't require everyone to have VoLTE or 5G for a while longer (months, years from now?). That would mean massive phone
    upgrades throughout Tmobile's subscriber base that I have not heard of.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    1,923
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E6/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have the unlocked version of the Moto E4 on T-Mobile Prepaid. It does VoLTE and WiFi calling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sprint Plans Features Post-Merger
    By Prepaidforever in forum Sprint
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-20-2020, 10:59 PM
  2. Sprint MVNO Ting joins 'We Heart WiFi' push for TV white-space
    By 503ducati in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM
  3. Something interesting I noticed regarding the 730
    By Qumahlin in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 09:26 PM
  4. Some UPDATES on FREE EDG WAP & Wap Sites
    By mean2u in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2003, 12:46 AM
  5. Some things I noticed on my first full month bill
    By meballard in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-03-2002, 08:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks