Thread: 5G service available for Tracfone

Device(s)
    LG VX8300
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

5G service available for Tracfone

Hi,

I'm wondering if I use a 5G capable phone (such as OnePlus 8T, Samsung S20 FE or iPhone12) on Tracfone service, will I be able to use the 5G service in 5G coverage area (for AT&T or Verizon)?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    There is no 5G service from any carrier on the Tracfone companies right now. Might come about if Verizon is able to buy Tracfone, but too early to tell.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think T-Mobile based SIMs are the only SIMs that get 5G that last I knew. If you want to know how I think this, Simple Mobile talks about having 5G on their site.

I have not heard any about 5G with Verizon or AT&T based SIMs tho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I think T-Mobile based SIMs are the only SIMs that get 5G that last I knew. If you want to know how I think this, Simple Mobile talks about having 5G on their site.

I have not heard any about 5G with Verizon or AT&T based SIMs tho.
    Yes, the Simple Mobile website lists the Galaxy S20 5G. It does say "5G Coverage not available in all areas". Straight Talk and Safelink list the more expensive Galaxy S20+ 5G. These would all be on T-Mobile. AT&T and Verizon don't offer much in advanced services to the MVNOs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shuderchen View Post
    Hi, I'm wondering if I use a 5G capable phone (such as OnePlus 8T, Samsung S20 FE or iPhone12) on Tracfone service, will I be able to use the 5G service in 5G coverage area (for AT&T or Verizon)? Thanks
    cricket wireless (AT&T) - https://www.cricketwireless.com/5g.html

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

5G service available for Tracfone

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    There is no 5G service from any carrier on the Tracfone companies right now. Might come about if Verizon is able to buy Tracfone, but too early to tell.
    This is incorrect, T-Mobile based sims have access to T-Mobile’s 5G network across all trac carriers. T-Mobile doesn’t limit mvno access to their 5G network.

Since the OP asked about Verizon or at&t specifically this may not apply to them, but saying no 5G coverage on any carrier with tracfone is incorrect.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A50
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Tracfone sells 5G phones

Tracfone does sell some 5G phones, such as the Samsung Galaxy A71 5G, the A51 5G, and higher end models. Then you select AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon. So would it feasible to say with the exception of T-Mobile, there is a possibility of receiving 5G on Tracfone?

Name:  TF.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  63.4 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lordvader311 View Post
    Tracfone does sell some 5G phones, such as the Samsung Galaxy A71 5G, the A51 5G, and higher end models. Then you select AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon. So would it feasible to say with the exception of T-Mobile, there is a possibility of receiving 5G on Tracfone?

From the screen shot, you have to be careful about that site. I remember someone else getting a phone from there, and they had issues.

Here is the post that I am talking about on the PagePlus side: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...from-Page-Plus

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A50
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    From the screen shot, you have to be careful about that site. I remember someone else getting a phone from there, and they had issues.

Here is the post that I am talking about on the PagePlus side: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...from-Page-Plus
    The saveontracfone website? They even send me emails themselves. If that is the one you are referring to, then I am glad I never took the bite.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

No. Verizon or at&t don’t offer 5G services to any mvno yet. Verizon doesn’t even offer it to their own Verizon prepaid yet. AT&T does though offer it to at&t prepaid and their own cricket wireless subscribers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The saveontracfone website? They even send me emails themselves. If that is the one you are referring to, then I am glad I never took the bite.
    Yep, it looks like it is one of the Quality One Wireless sites. They have a page for other Tracfone brands too.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon charges extra for 5G access on the postpaid side, not sure about AT&T. That being said, I kinda doubt Verizon would allow 5G access on TracFone. My new iPhone 12 is still locked to T-Mobile (opted to trade in my 2nd gen SE for $500.. $400 of that up front) so I can't try another SIM yet. I may trade in my XS for a 12 mini direct from Apple in which case I'd be happy to try my Verizon and AT&T TracFone SIMs in it.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 12 eSIM; Galaxy Note 9
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone SE 2nd gen dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]; Cricket: iPhone SE 2nd gen
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    Verizon charges extra for 5G access on the postpaid side, not sure about AT&T. That being said, I kinda doubt Verizon would allow 5G access on TracFone. My new iPhone 12 is still locked to T-Mobile (opted to trade in my 2nd gen SE for $500.. $400 of that up front) so I can't try another SIM yet. I may trade in my XS for a 12 mini direct from Apple in which case I'd be happy to try my Verizon and AT&T TracFone SIMs in it.
    They tried to charge extra but soon pulled that back though they are now differentiating apparently between mmwave 5G ($10 extra for ultra wideband) and normal low band 5G which is free even on their prepaid plans. Given that it'll likely take years before their mmwave build out has full metro area coverage I doubt many people take them up on the $10 deal and they'll go back to including it.

They did say in their announcement about buying TF that they would offer 5G to TF customers.

Feedback Score
    On the subject of rebranding, just Maybe, bring in a BYOP SIM from a TF Brand that offers 5G, and then go through Tracfone Chat and inform you that you want to activate the BYOP SIM with a airtime card. You might be given a funny look from TF but maybe it can be done.

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Verizon will never have 5G in rural areas

Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    They tried to charge extra but soon pulled that back though they are now differentiating apparently between mmwave 5G ($10 extra for ultra wideband) and normal low band 5G which is free even on their prepaid plans. Given that it'll likely take years before their mmwave build out has full metro area coverage I doubt many people take them up on the $10 deal and they'll go back to including it.

They did say in their announcement about buying TF that they would offer 5G to TF customers.
    Verizon buying TracFone, would kill the $6/month average cost in my case for the last 20 years. TF sells year service plans for $50 on eBay. How they make money on that is a mystery.

Rural areas will never see mmWave 5G from Verizon. I will believe 5G Wideband coverage with Verizon in rural areas (away from large cities) when I see it. Marketing hype is BS.

I am in process of activating a new Galaxy S20+ I got from eBay that had been a store demo model and never been activated. I did it not because I have a "Need for Speed", but rather just to see if areas have 5G already or do they not.

Seems like I should be able to use an app that will tell me if 5G wideband and mmWave is available, even if my TracFone SIM prevents me from accessing it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast