Thread: What's wrong with Rogers band prioritization and lack of CA?

Feedback Score

Arrow What's wrong with Rogers band prioritization and lack of CA?

I've switched to Rogers from Telus (and before that 5 years on Virgin) and am really puzzled at the network configuration of Rogers when it comes to their LTE Band Priority and overall lack of CA.

1. I often find myself camping on a low frequency band when higher frequency still good signal strength bands are available. Case and point: 35 High Park Ave, here in Toronto. The closest Rogers tower is 200m away. Available bands include (700MHz, 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz, 2600MHz). Yet out of all those my phone has been instructed to camp on 700 Mhz (band 12), yielding a speed test of a whopping 2.27 Mbps. Forcing my phone to other bands reveals:

• 5.6 Mbps on 850 Mhz (band 5)
      • 20.2 Mbps on 1900 Mhz (band 2)
      • 13.3 Mbps on 2100/1700 (band 4)
      • 15.0 Mbps on 1700/2100 Mhz (band 66)
      • 22.7 Mbps on 2600 Mhz (band 7).

2. CA never seems to stay on for more than a split second in areas that should easily be able to support it... My phone displays LTE+ for the blink of an eye and turns off.

As you can see from the above list 700 Mhz band 12 is literally the slowest out of every single band, yet Rogers requests that the phone camp on it. On Bellus it'd typically camp on 1900 Mhz or higher and CA was always an option... I wish I could say this is location dependent, but I see this type of behaviour very often... Are there any network engineers on here from Rogers that can comment as to why (or you Sheytoon!)

Feedback Score
    I would have to see the logs to understand what the network is trying to do.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Speaking of CA, I think this is this first time I've noticed 4CA on Rogers...Name:  Screenshot_20201123-203129_Service%20mode%20RIL.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  50.0 KB

Feedback Score
    That's a pretty good combo! But your readings are a bit suspect. B4 and B7 RSRP are lower than -130 dBm, but with a decent SINR.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I would think SNR would be in the negative!! Is the phone reporting wrong information?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    They have 4CA in my area, and I do see 5CA show up. I always thought 5CA was a bug in the software I use, but it quite consistently starts with 5CA and goes down to 4. I've also seen the SCC carriers with very low signal (~-130) attempt to be added by the network. They definitely have some strange setup in place that is messing with their CA.

Purely guessing, but due to most PCIs matching and a few not in my results, from what I can see they are using inter eNB CA, so its coming from a distance site with weak signal. Whatever it is, it definitely needs tuning.

Feedback Score
    I think I like Rogers' band prioritization better than Telus. Not sure about Bell as I've never used them.

With Rogers' band prioritization I get 4 bars 5G in most places I go around the city. Unlike Telus which would always stick on band 7 and give me less than -120dBm outdoors in certain places. I was surprised that Rogers has better coverage inside Edmonton, as everyone praises the Bell/Telus network nationally.

Telus' way of doing things requires way more towers and small cells to offer better coverage across the city. I look at ertyu cell tower maps and Telus towers consistently have 2-3x less the transmission output power compared to Rogers and Freedom.