Thread: WiFi Calling Audio Quality

Feedback Score

Question WiFi Calling Audio Quality

I noticed than when using WiFi calling, the voice quality is not quite as good as when using a Verizon cell tower. I have tried switching back and forth multiple time while on multiple calls and have found that the audio quality is lower when on WiFi calling even though it is quite acceptable.

Have other folks noticed this? What is going on here? My phone is an iPhone X and I find that WiFi calling works very well for me and I don't have any other issues.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    WiFi calling will not sound as good as a Verizon HD call which I assume you are using.

For sure 1x calls will sound worse than WiFi.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I noticed than when using WiFi calling, the voice quality is not quite as good as when using a Verizon cell tower. I have tried switching back and forth multiple time while on multiple calls and have found that the audio quality is lower when on WiFi calling even though it is quite acceptable.

Have other folks noticed this? What is going on here? My phone is an iPhone X and I find that WiFi calling works very well for me and I don't have any other issues.
    Could be codec 12.65 wb instead of EVS 13.2. Still HD, but not as good.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My observation over the years is that wifi calling has never sounded as good as HD calling or VoLTE. Not being an engineer I do not understand the tech behind this.

Feedback Score

WiFi Calling Audio Quality

Being an engineer, this still makes no sense to me. WiFi/broadband, generally speaking, has significantly more bandwidth and generally lower latencies than cellular.

One would think that the sampling/compression codec used for WiFi calling would be as good or better (higher bitrates/less compression) then what cellular could tolerate.

Though home WiFi/broadband latencies and jitter can be all over the place. And QOS tagging is very hit or miss. So maybe packet delivery is more reliable on cellular networks after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    It makes sense to me that WiFi should have better audio quality. That is why I was surprised to find that opposite to be true.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    It makes sense to me that WiFi should have better audio quality. That is why I was surprised to find that opposite to be true.
    VoLTE is optimized so voice calls work well over cellular networks. HD Voice adds the "You are There" sound quality that WiFi calling can't really match.

WiFi routers are not optimized for voice so results can be all over the map. Sound quality is generally good, but latency & dropouts are a common problem from my experience.