Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: First mentions of nationwide 5G

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

First mentions of nationwide 5G

Verizon's CEO was on Apple's iPhone event and announced their nationwide 5G network being turned on today.

I want more details. LOL

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Wonder why other carriers weren’t invited. Have to say good commercial plug for Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I didn't see your post Dave before I posted something similar two minutes later, my bad. Maybe the mods can merge the two.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Totally a Verizon PR thing, since they are a little late to the nationwide 5G Game (even ATT rolled out before em, and T-Mobile's been touting there's for well over a year now.)
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Totally a Verizon PR thing, since they are a little late to the nationwide 5G Game (even ATT rolled out before em, and T-Mobile's been touting there's for well over a year now.)
    So since T-Mobile was way late the the 4G deployment thing their 4G network shouldn't count then. At the end of last year maybe 2-3% at most had 5G phones now it's maybe 10%. Woooo Verizon so late

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Actually completely different because Verizon will be using DSS to dynamically shift spectrum between 4g and 5G users based on demand while T-Mobile has dedicated bandwidth for 4G and dedicated bandwidth for 5G. AT&T was using DSS in a few markets but mostly dedicating spectrum like Tmobile is doing.

DSS when a carrier is not using 5G SA core has a spectrum penalty while when using 5G SA core there is a boost in efficiency. Dedicating spectrum to each network type creates a much worse penalty in efficiency imo.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    The new iphones will support C-band 5G spectrum a smart move on Apple's part. The C-band auction begins in December and Verizon is expected to be bid very aggressively in it.

T-mobile attempted to have C-band auction winnings capped at 100mhz to ensure their spectrum dominance which was denied by the FCC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Actually completely different because Verizon will be using DSS to dynamically shift spectrum between 4g and 5G users based on demand while T-Mobile has dedicated bandwidth for 4G and dedicated bandwidth for 5G. AT&T was using DSS in a few markets but mostly dedicating spectrum like Tmobile is doing.

DSS when a carrier is not using 5G SA core has a spectrum penalty while when using 5G SA core there is a boost in efficiency. Dedicating spectrum to each network type creates a much worse penalty in efficiency imo.
    exactly. is T-Mobile's 4G network better with just having 5X5 MHz of band 71 instead of having all 15X15 MHz using DSS. Even if there was 50% performance hit with DSS 15X15 -50% is still better than 5X5. All to cater to less than 10% of customers. Maybe by the end of 2021 it MIGHT be 25-30%. Maybe it reaches 50% by the end of 2022

Feedback Score
    The new iphones will support C-band 5G spectrum a smart move on Apple's part. The C-band auction begins in December and Verizon is expected to be bid very aggressively in it.

T-mobile attempted to have C-band auction winnings capped at 100mhz to ensure their spectrum dominance which was denied by the FCC.
    Even if it was capped at 100 MHz Verizon is going to make sure it get the 100 MHz in the top 50 markets. Which bring up another point about c-band

top 50 markets( 46 of top 50 actually ) 100 MHz - availability Dec 2021
    top 50 markets remaining 180 MHz - availability Dec 2023
    All other markets all 280 MHz - availability Dec 2023

The 100 MHz in the 3450-3550 MHz range being auctioned next year is more important in my book as it will be deployable by mid 2022 and is covered by bands n77 and n78

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    They updated their coverage maps and a couple of articles are quoting Verizon talking about carrier aggregation with speeds up to 4 GB.

https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/

Feedback Score
    They updated their coverage maps and a couple of articles are quoting Verizon talking about carrier aggregation with speeds up to 4 GB.

https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/
    That "nationwide" map looks pretty sparse

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    That "nationwide" map looks pretty sparse
    They have a way to go updating towers for 5G but most can be done through software so it shouldn't be that long. Still 200 million people covered on day 1 isn't all bad.

No mention anywhere I can find but they must have enabled 5G SA core or DSS would have been a spectrum loser for them and tight as spectrum is for them right now I can't see them making this change w/o that. They successfully tested that in early July.

Feedback Score
    They have a way to go updating towers for 5G but most can be done through software so it shouldn't be that long. Still 200 million people covered on day 1 isn't all bad.

No mention anywhere I can find but they must have enabled 5G SA core or DSS would have been a spectrum loser for them and tight as spectrum is for them right now I can't see them making this change w/o that. They successfully tested that in early July.
    I'm saying I have doubts in that coverage map they are showing totals 200 million. Phones will get updates starting tomorrow for people to access it

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Name:  IMG_0222.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  44.2 KB

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Looks like Verizon is copying an old t mobile trick. Remember when t mobile had a map like this ?
    Name:  IMG_0923.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  33.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast