Thread: Grey market devices and bands query.

Feedback Score

Grey market devices and bands query.

Normally I'd use on occasion imported devices that don't support bands 66 and 77 on TMO without much issue in central florida.
    I have two questions if I may. UMTS 3G band 4 is that needed for TMO ? Also would LTE band 66 be useful on its own?
    I'm eyeing up two Note 20 ultra devices. Most the bands are the same except one doesn't have UMTS band 4 nor band 66. Neither have 71. Would it make any difference at all in my scenario if chose the one that didn't or didn't have band 66 LTE and UMTS band 4 3G? Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 4a using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    LTE band 66 and band 4 are like a freeway with and without the HOV lane. Band 4 is the freeway without the HOV lane and band 66 is the same freeway with the HOV lane added. Do you need the HOV lane? Not really. Can the going be quicker if you have access to it? Sometimes. Band 4 UMTS should not be necessary if you have VoLTE.

Some BYODs may not have access to roaming some carriers, like USCC.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    One other thing to consider is that T-Mobile will be shutting down their 3G network this January, so to be able to make/receive phone calls you'll need Voice over LTE (VoLTE) -- and most international phones won't support T-Mobile's VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    I don't think the lack of band 4 UMTS matters. That's why I was asking guys.

I mainly go by LTE bands when deciding on a grey import.
    The toss up is such. One regional version of the note 20 ultra has band 66 and one doesn't. Neither have 71 which is understandable for those regional specs.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    One other thing to consider is that T-Mobile will be shutting down their 3G network this January
    This is just a rumor.

No announcement by T-Mobile has been made that they are shutting down their 3G network in January.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    One regional version of the note 20 ultra has band 66 and one doesn't.
    Band 66 is really not that important. The device will still connect to band 4 LTE it just won't have access to so it should be fine.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Band 66 is necessary for 4CA combos and anything involving 5G. T-Mobile didn’t bid very much on AWS3. Kinda sparsely in rural areas at 5x5, some areas at 10x10, and some of south Texas at 15x15. They spent more to get at least 10x10 MHz of 600 MHz, and geographically at least 20x20. But I’d be sure to get one for 4CA combos, and generally you need a phone supporting B66 to access network features like 4x4 MIMO and 256QAM.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

5G Minneapolis, MN‎ -------------------------------------------------------------‎ 5G+ ‎Minneapolis, MN
    2+n5+? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2+n261

Feedback Score
    Main problem of "Grey market devices" is not bands but VoLTE support. Some/many of all these phones are not compatible with T-Mobile VoLTE and without VoLTE your experience will be bad.

Samsungs are usually OK, iPhones are always OK, but everything else - difficult to say.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Didn't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Band 66 is really not that important. The device will still connect to band 4 LTE it just won't have access to so it should be fine.
    Sent from my SM-N985F using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I got the phone. It seems OK. Same sort of dbm as compared to my USA spec iPhone in my home.
    Volte works fine as does WiFi calling. It's a shame the USA carriers aren't keen about dual sim being sold by them. Otherwise I would have bought the American version.
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Main problem of "Grey market devices" is not bands but VoLTE support. Some/many of all these phones are not compatible with T-Mobile VoLTE and without VoLTE your experience will be bad.

Samsungs are usually OK, iPhones are always OK, but everything else - difficult to say.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    "Grey market" refers to products that the manufacturers don't want sold into a particular market and which are not supported by the manufacturers. The best example I can think of is Asian "rice paddy" Kubota tractors. Kubota dealers won't touch them and there's a whole "grey market" in parts to support them. I'd say any phone that has an FCC ID# would not qualify as "grey market".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    "Grey market" refers to products that the manufacturers don't want sold into a particular market and which are not supported by the manufacturers. The best example I can think of is Asian "rice paddy" Kubota tractors. Kubota dealers won't touch them and there's a whole "grey market" in parts to support them. I'd say any phone that has an FCC ID# would not qualify as "grey market".
    It's definitely FCC certified. I must be old with my verbiage. Teach me an American word that's the equivalent. Cheers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    It's definitely FCC certified. I must be old with my verbiage. Teach me an American word that's the equivalent. Cheers.
    I'd say "3rd-party", "BYOD" or "un-flagged". The last would be the same manufacturer's version of the same phone a carrier sells but without the carrier's customization.