Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop Upgrading Everyone to Premium Voice

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Living life on the edge.. Cancelled none so far

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Well played, FreedomPop. You got me good, cancelled all 4 of my lines. Too bad, too. 200MB data was almost twice what I needed now that I work remote. Could have skated by free, indefinitely.

FP: 1
    Me: 0
    Shawn

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just got this email on the one account I did not cancel:

Hello ,

We recently sent you a notice regarding the upcoming changes to our free plan, along with your options and instructions on what to do next.

We are delighted to offer you one additional possible option for maintaining free service, with even more data, all for free - thanks to the new Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) program offered by the federal government.

For qualifying households, the EBB program as offered through our sister company will provide you with high-speed data for FREE in tiers of 1GB, 5GB, and 20GB every month for the duration of the program.

Recipients of this email have been pre-screened as potentially qualifying applicants for the EBB Program which offers free government subsidized data to eligible customers.

We are inviting you to register for priority notifications from us regarding the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program. This email is your invitation to opt-in to the EBB Program’s notification list for priority launch updates and does not guarantee eligibility.

In light of this exciting opportunity, we have opted to delay any charges to your plan for the month of May. You will instead receive a month on the Essential Plan at no cost in order to give you an opportunity to apply for the EBB program when it becomes available on May 12, 2021.

Unfortunately, we cannot manually issue a free month of service to additional customers who already canceled their account, or were not the intended recipients of this email. We encourage those of you who are not currently eligible for this program to consider our free plan on our Premium platform at freedompop.com/plans.

As a recap:

The Basic Free plan is shutting down on May 1st.

Switch to a Premium SIM to continue receiving free service from FreedomPop.

Or take no action to be automatically upgraded to the Essential Plan which offers 350MB and 200 minutes / 200 texts for only $3.99/mo.

Register now to receive more information about our EBB program offer
    Feels like RingPlus and typical Freedompop all over again. I'm sure they knew this well before the 1st but chose to release this after many of us cancelled. But then again, how many actually qualify for this FREE gov't plan?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmart View Post
    Based on this thread it looks like they were pretty successful at getting rid of a high percentage of freeloaders. 66% rate for me (canceled 2 of 3 accounts).
    Keep in mind that they now do have the option of charging. It may just be a matter of time before they implement it.

Mine renews on the sixth - it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Device(s)
    blu vivo x5, moto e6
    Carrier(s)
    tmo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    i wonder if i will qualify for government mobile.

they waste enough tax money, might as well recoup some

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4, Moto G Stylus(2020)
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T), Google Fi(T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by link626 View Post
    i wonder if i will qualify for government mobile.
    https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/General.aspx?id=2752#qualify
    Outside of California, please refer to https://getemergencybroadband.org/do-i-qualify/
    If you are in tribal land, please refer to https://getemergencybroadband.org/do...ribal-benefit/
    Last edited by hoktrillian; 05-04-2021 at 07:13 AM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4, Moto G Stylus(2020)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    Is there any way to access the app without trying to connect?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    Is there any way to use the FP phone no. without the voip app?
    Yes, but you will first need FreedomPop app to extract the SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) credential for your account/SIM then use the SIP credential extracted to use the FreedomPop telephone number with another app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    Thanks for those links, hoktrillian! A quick reading through those might explain why some folks got the email from FreedomPop about possible EBB benefits, and some didn't. This isn't, of course, an exclusive FreedomPop benefit, but a government benefit-- and if it's tied to the LifeLine program, vendors have to be approved in each state they operate in.
    To the best of my knowledge, neither FreedomPop, Red Pocket, or any associated subsidiary were set up as LifeLine vendors. It's likely that FreedomPop is either picking the states they want to try to qualify in, or partnering with a pre-existing LifeLine vendor that isn't likely approved in all states. (Most are approved vendors in a handful of states.) It's possible the FP accounts are targeted by area code, or by billing address..
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    California offers the highest pay in LifeLine Program so I bet everyone in California still have legacy free plan open has received an invitation. Last time I read, 40% Californians qualified. Therefore, MVNOs are certainly interested in getting a piece of the pie to rapidly grow their business.

Furthermore, I am confident that people still have their legacy free plan open will get more than just the month of May free of charge as you have mentioned none of Red Pocket brands/subsidiaries are LifeLine program vendor, becoming a LifeLine program vendor does take time, getting a LifeLine program vendor as a sister company or partner also take time. Moreover, signing LifeLine program and getting qualify for it or changing LifeLine program vendor also take time. I doubt anyone can complete all these tasks within the month of May.
    Last edited by hoktrillian; 05-04-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My one free sim with 500MB stopped working on renewal (yesterday).

Comes up with this message "Alert: Your FreedomPop service is inactive due to an unforeseen technical issue. Please Click here to contact customer service. ".

We'll see how long twitter DM takes to get a response.

----------

Edit: Chat fixed it immedaitely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hapollo8 View Post
    Just got this email on the one account I did not cancel:
    In light of this exciting opportunity, we have opted to delay any charges to your plan for the month of May. You will instead receive a month on the Essential Plan at no cost in order to give you an opportunity to apply for the EBB program when it becomes available on May 12, 2021.
    Another SIM just renewed last night. I got another free 200MB for the month (+15MB F&F) and not the 350MB Essential Plan. Does the 350MB Essential Plan even exist?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmodlou View Post
    Another SIM just renewed last night. I got another free 200MB for the month (+15MB F&F) and not the 350MB Essential Plan. Does the 350MB Essential Plan even exist?
    Congratulations! I can confirm that the 350mb Essential plan does exist. It shows on my remaining online account (renewed 5/3), and my CC has been charged.

I was pleased to see that the friends bonus still works, but I know my friend's group is dwindling fast. (I got the full 50mb this month, but doubt that will continue.) Also pleased to see there aren't any additional fees on the charge. ($4 for 400mb isn't horrible, and is close to the market rate for ultra-small plans.)

Did your account get the followup email saying that your free plan had been extended for a month, and advising you of the possibility of government-sponsored EBB plans coming soon? If so, would you consider sharing your state? (A guess is that this might be an offer to only certain states....)

Feedback Score
    I just pulled the plug on my last FP free SIM. My account was going to renew tomorrow. I logged in and saw everything in place to bill me - the right plan, the right amount to be charged in the next billing info, etc. Essentially confirming what's been said in the previous post - thank you @greenhandle.

Thank you Freedom Pop - it's been a great ride. Never paid a dime for all those free accounts and never had a spurious charge either.

Russell

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andyk88 View Post
    Redditors also say that you cannot renew until after noon on the day after the expiration date.
    My plan renewal date was 5/5. But there was no way to renew manually on 5/5.

This morning (no need to wait till noon) on 5/6, I was able to renew manually:
    • Clicked on "The free plan for xxx needs to be renewed in order to continue the service. Click here to proceed." banner. >
    • Clicked on "I don't want great offers". >
    • Clicked on "I don't want great offers". >
    • I did not need to enter payment information again.
    • "Airtime Expired" changed to "Active" within a minute or two.

When I clicked on RENEW button > I don't want great offers > I don't want great offers, it went back to https://www.freedompop.com/my-lines. So need to click on banner.

My new renewal date is 6/5. So:
    • My next manual renewal date will be 6/6.
    • The current billing cycle is really from 5/6 to 6/5, which is actually 31 days (in the first month, it was 4/5 to 5/5, also 31 days).

Because each billing cycle is actually 31 days, I will need to change the reset date under Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile networks > Data Manager in May, July, October, December, and March. The Data Manager will also reset too soon in those months.

Unfortunately I will have to make do with the Data Manager, because the "My Data Manager" app is not accurate (especially if a phone is restarted).
    Last edited by andyk88; 05-06-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    I just pulled the plug on my last FP free SIM. My account was going to renew tomorrow. I logged in and saw everything in place to bill me - the right plan, the right amount to be charged in the next billing info, etc. Essentially confirming what's been said in the previous post - thank you @greenhandle.

Thank you Freedom Pop - it's been a great ride. Never paid a dime for all those free accounts and never had a spurious charge either.

Russell
    interesting.. mine renewed at end of April.

for May renewal, i see:
    Next Payment Amount US$0.00
    Next Payment Due Date 5/28/21
    Recurring Bill Amount US$0.00

i guess i need to check on 5/27 to see if that changes to $3.99.
    (i dont live in CA)

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast