Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 200MB for Life Free Plans Purged by T-Mobile

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by batcave View Post
    Hey, thanks for that info. When I load my prepaid phone number online it charges me tax. If I did it via the automated system it won't charge my tax either? If so, this is a crazy loophole!

Yes I use data passes from time to time. I can purchase credit without having to talk to anyone.
    Nope, it's just the data-only (no voice) prepaid plans aren't charged tax or E911. I think they fall in the same category as home ISPs, which in my area (and presumably many others) haven't charged taxes either (AT&T, Comcast). The minute you add voice, E911 at the very least is added, usually sales tax, too.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    It appears that I still have an active Tmo SIM under this 200MB for life plan. It is currently on my old, old Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet. Is there any way I can (just) move it to another tablet or device? Perhaps an Apple ipad 2? or a more modern Android tablet?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    It appears that I still have an active Tmo SIM under this 200MB for life plan. It is currently on my old, old Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet. Is there any way I can (just) move it to another tablet or device? Perhaps an Apple ipad 2? or a more modern Android tablet?
    Mine is in their Test Drive hotspot and still works. I think I tried it in a phone a couple of years ago and it worked for data only.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    I put in the SIM in an old iPad 2 and it seems to work... of course the iPad 2 is pretty crummy itself, not much better than the old Galaxy Tab. So I'd like to find a better tablet to use... Its my understanding that the SIM/plan won't work in a normal phone as they've only whitelisted certain tablets (data-only devices). True? i guess I could try a more modern iPhone or Android, but i don't want them to cancel the SIM/plan because of trying an "illegal" device...

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I put in the SIM in an old iPad 2 and it seems to work... of course the iPad 2 is pretty crummy itself, not much better than the old Galaxy Tab. So I'd like to find a better tablet to use... Its my understanding that the SIM/plan won't work in a normal phone as they've only whitelisted certain tablets (data-only devices). True? i guess I could try a more modern iPhone or Android, but i don't want them to cancel the SIM/plan because of trying an "illegal" device...
    I used mine in multiple devices including multiple phones over the years.

It should be okay but it's definitely at your own risk as they may want to shut these accounts down.

Feedback Score
    So last month I moved the SIM into the new tablet and it worked at first. After about a month, it stopped working. Data connection is there but cannot browse any sites. Moved the SIM back to original tablet and it's working.

Today I called CS. Asked them if I can change the tablet. They updated the IMEI but it still didn't work. Rep then said that it doesn't work because I don't have an active data plan, They could not see, or have ever heard of "free data for life plan". Rep even checked with supervisors and could not understand how data can work without an active plan.

At the moment, data is still working in the old tablet (even though they changed IMEI on file).

Confusing.

Feedback Score
    I got the 200MB plan for my mom's iPad a long time ago. Today her Comcast went down, so she tried to use the T-Mobile LTE on her iPad, but it said she was out of data.

I tried to log into her T-Mobile account on the iPad to check the status of her account, but for some reason T-Mobile said it needed to relink the iPad to her account. I tried doing that, and it asked for her PIN.

I don't remember setting up any PIN for her, and then Comcast was back online, so we went to the T-Mobile web site to change her PIN.

In order to change her PIN, it asked for a T-Mobile phone number. I assume that is the 10 digit device number that I got when I set up the 200 MB plan for her. So I entered that number, and it said it sent a confirmation code to the number.

But the iPad never got the confirmation code. Probably because she's out of data.

I told my mom she'll need to call T-Mobile about this, but she doesn't want to go thru the trouble.

BTW, unlike other people here, she never got any email about her account being canceled, so I assume she still has the 200 MB plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by interdigital View Post
    I got the 200MB plan for my mom's iPad a long time ago. Today her Comcast went down, so she tried to use the T-Mobile LTE on her iPad, but it said she was out of data.

I tried to log into her T-Mobile account on the iPad to check the status of her account, but for some reason T-Mobile said it needed to relink the iPad to her account. I tried doing that, and it asked for her PIN.

I don't remember setting up any PIN for her, and then Comcast was back online, so we went to the T-Mobile web site to change her PIN.
    These accounts have mostly been abandoned and ignored by T-Mobile, so there's not much to do on the web to manage them either. That being said, these plans got a randomly-generated PIN at sign-up (it was emailed) and they didn't start using them for anything until more recently. If you call you can reset the PIN by either allowing them to send a text or giving them the IMEI of the iPad. I lost a few myself and went through and got all the PINs changed back in November.

In order to change her PIN, it asked for a T-Mobile phone number. I assume that is the 10 digit device number that I got when I set up the 200 MB plan for her. So I entered that number, and it said it sent a confirmation code to the number.

But the iPad never got the confirmation code. Probably because she's out of data.
    That number is what you'd use. iPads can't receive SMSes, but if you put the SIM in a T-Mobile-compatible phone, it will receive it. You can also call 611 from that phone with the iPad data SIM for customer service.

I told my mom she'll need to call T-Mobile about this, but she doesn't want to go thru the trouble.

BTW, unlike other people here, she never got any email about her account being canceled, so I assume she still has the 200 MB plan.
    I'd assume she still has it, too. The iPad may have burned through the data. One thing I found is that if you have the SIM in an iPad and Wi-Fi turned off, this site still shows usage: http://ma.web2go.com/home.do (won't load if not on T-Mobile's network).

Feedback Score
    Is the North America Free Data for Life also 200 MB.
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Depends on the account. I have two free data SIMs, one is movable, one isn't. My "Free Data For Life" SIM isn't movable, but my "North America Free Data for Life" can be moved between devices.

I tried to get a T-Mo rep to change my "Free Data" line to "North America Free Data" but they weren't able to do it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my LM-V600 using HoFo mobile app
    To Be The Best Ya Gotta Be Smarter Than The Rest! My Time, Talent, & Treasure! : “Your talent is God’s gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.” Leo Buscaglia : “With God, all things are POSSIBLE.” Mark 10:27

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    That number is what you'd use. iPads can't receive SMSes, but if you put the SIM in a T-Mobile-compatible phone, it will receive it. You can also call 611 from that phone with the iPad data SIM for customer service.

I'd assume she still has it, too. The iPad may have burned through the data. One thing I found is that if you have the SIM in an iPad and Wi-Fi turned off, this site still shows usage: http://ma.web2go.com/home.do (won't load if not on T-Mobile's network).
    I have one with " 200MB/30 day Free Data for Life". It can't receive SMS in T-Mobile branded phone, I get "Free Msg: Receiver "XXXXXXXX" unable to received message-Message Blocking is active."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by power_book View Post
    I have one with " 200MB/30 day Free Data for Life". It can't receive SMS in T-Mobile branded phone, I get "Free Msg: Receiver "XXXXXXXX" unable to received message-Message Blocking is active."
    I should've clarified. Those lines have message blocking on, so you can't send a text to them, but they can receive T-Mobile-generated SMSes. They'll get a "your plan has renewed" once a month, as well as T-Mobile Tuesdays verification codes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I should've clarified. Those lines have message blocking on, so you can't send a text to them, but they can receive T-Mobile-generated SMSes. They'll get a "your plan has renewed" once a month, as well as T-Mobile Tuesdays verification codes.
    Yes I get service messages and any placed call reaches T mobile customer service.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QkTreasures View Post
    Is the North America Free Data for Life also 200 MB.

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, it's also 200MB. Pretty much worthless in this day and age, but it's another free Dunkin' card or whatever on T-Mo Tuesday!

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    So I used to have 2 free data on demand mi lines. I lost them when I switched from my old FT 500 N+W plan 39.99 w/Btv to the first responders plan last june. T-force put me on a 2gb mi data plan & credited me one months bill to offset cost.

They also had to change 2 of my free digits with paired data beta promo lines from tax excluded to TI. So after this I reached out to executive response team from president office to try & get my free data on demand mi lines back. Well they weren't able to but actually did much better for me. They ended up giving me 2 free magenta tablet promo mi lines which is unlimited high-speed data & unlimited 3G hotspot.

I tried researching this plan but could never find any info on it. I believe this plan normally cost $20-25 a month with a voice line discount. I'm actually thinking about trying to open up another mi line to see if tmo would give me another line with this same free line promo. Then I might be able to score a free tablet out of it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Sorry for the delay.

Yes, it's also 200MB. Pretty much worthless in this day and age, but it's another free Dunkin' card or whatever on T-Mo Tuesday!

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2