Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Verizon expands 4G fixed wireless

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    they COULD be.. that is correct, but they did not and here we are.

This offering was simply a knee jerk reaction to them having a realization of what Band41 is going to mean for them with T-Mobile being an actual competitor within the next few years.

See, T-Mobile technically covers ~96% of the population.. and that's a big number that would at a minimum be okay buying home ISP only from T-Mobile, and as T-Mobile gets stronger in their market, an easy steal over from Verizon.
    Still a long way to go. My zip code is available for Verizon fixed LTE though the percentage of address so far is small. At&t also has fixed 4G here. Though like Verizon not everyone can get it. Meanwhile T-Mobile doesn't offer it AT ALL.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Still a long way to go. My zip code is available for Verizon fixed LTE though the percentage of address so far is small. At&t also has fixed 4G here. Though like Verizon not everyone can get it. Meanwhile T-Mobile doesn't offer it AT ALL.
    Again, as I said they're worried what's going to happen over the next two years, as T-Mobile finishes up that network integration... I'm willing to bet by the time Sprint is fully integrated.. it will be available in your area.

As your other posts tend to say in every other thread in the T-Mobile sub forum, T-Mobile is not particularly strong in *your* area, so of course they do not offer it *yet*, as clearly it'd not work that well
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Feedback Score
    Again, as I said they're worried what's going to happen over the next two years, as T-Mobile finishes up that network integration... I'm willing to bet by the time Sprint is fully integrated.. it will be available in your area.

As your other posts tend to say in every other thread in the T-Mobile sub forum, T-Mobile is not particularly strong in *your* area, so of course they do not offer it *yet*, as clearly it'd not work that well
    Sprint never offered service in my area to begin with. T-Mobile it still squatting on their PCS spectrum here let alone deploying Sprint's or their 2.5 GHz

Feedback Score
    I'm trying to get it at my house and my town is on the list. No address you enter is available for it. Talked to the store, they basically said the same thing. Are they going to actually sell it or talk about it?

Feedback Score
    Maybe they were waiting to launch the nationwide 5g to take the stress off of their 4g network 🤔

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaxfan View Post
    I'm trying to get it at my house and my town is on the list. No address you enter is available for it. Talked to the store, they basically said the same thing. Are they going to actually sell it or talk about it?
    I actually got addresses to show up. We had 2 new towers put up in the last year just outside of town. So I started in those areas and many addresses showed. The tower in town which I connect to I can't find any so far.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaxfan View Post
    Maybe they were waiting to launch the nationwide 5g to take the stress off of their 4g network 樂
    nationwide 5G will not take stress off the network since it uses the same spectrum as 4G. It's not using additional spectrum. Only when an area has access to mmwave or Verizon uses CBRS or C-Band or LAA will there be additional spectrum

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Sprint never offered service in my area to begin with. T-Mobile it still squatting on their PCS spectrum here let alone deploying Sprint's or their 2.5 GHz
    For now, they'll get to you.

And if you're in an area Sprint AND T-Mobile never rolled out native service, it must be a sparse area for population.

Feedback Score
    nationwide 5G will not take stress off the network since it uses the same spectrum as 4G. It's not using additional spectrum. Only when an area has access to mmwave or Verizon uses CBRS or C-Band or LAA will there be additional spectrum
    I’m not sure that’s entirely accurate. Presumably, in many current / soon to be added areas with Band 5 / n5 there is actually “new” (refarmed) additional spectrum available for higher speed (aka LTE/low band 5G) data. Previously this band 5 spectrum was mostly dedicated to CDMA/EVDO.

Granted, in some limited areas there was already band 5 LTE. But now with this frequency range forming the backbone of Verizon’s nationwide lowband 5G, I would think that deployments of n5 would increase (licenses permitting)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    For now, they'll get to you.

And if you're in an area Sprint AND T-Mobile never rolled out native service, it must be a sparse area for population.
    T-Mobile finally arrived about 4 years a ago

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    I’m not sure that’s entirely accurate. Presumably, in many current / soon to be added areas with Band 5 / n5 there is actually “new” (refarmed) additional spectrum available for higher speed (aka LTE/low band 5G) data. Previously this band 5 spectrum was mostly dedicated to CDMA/EVDO.

Granted, in some limited areas there was already band 5 LTE. But now with this frequency range forming the backbone of Verizon’s nationwide lowband 5G, I would think that deployments of n5 would increase (licenses permitting)

Band 5 has been used for LTE for years in many places. Verizon started converting 850 to band 5 LTE a few years back

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Band 5 has been used for LTE for years in many places. Verizon started converting 850 to band 5 LTE a few years back
    Right, but this poster is referring to that last chunk that was used for EvDO/1x.. since the shutdown is so close.. i'd not be surprised to see them just rock a 1.25MHz CDMA 1x channel in some areas until the end of the year... kinda give the "hey, it's time" hint to those holding on.

Feedback Score
    Exactly. In areas that already had band 5 LTE there is little or no net add in spectrum. Potentially even a loss due to DSS overhead. Though this may be a wash due to slightly increase 5G efficiency.

But in some markets, I would contend many markets, with many more on the way, refarmed band 5 / EVDO to n5 represents new spectrum (albeit not a lot) with nationwide reach — save for the few isolated areas (e.g. parts of FL, TX, etc.) where Verizon doesn’t have band 5 licenses.

Since n13 won’t be coming any time soon, n5 seems like the best widescale solution for nationwide 5G. Sure there is n66, n4, and n2 as well (and presumably n48) but these are mainly capacity bands (save for those areas without band 5 licenses)

You can see it in the speedtests folks are already reporting. Some folks on refarmed n5 are seeing better speeds than LTE (clear spectrum). While others in areas where band 5 was already LTE or where there is no band 5, aren’t.

Don’t get me wrong, Verizon still lacks spectrum. Not buying more PAL CBRS still seems like a blunder to me. Granted there is still 40 MHz of shared use, but IMHO CBRS would have been an ideal capacity solution for wireless fixed broadband in smaller/rural communities.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Since n13 won’t be coming any time soon, n5 seems like the best widescale solution for nationwide 5G. Sure there is n66, n4, and n2 as well (and presumably n48) but these are mainly capacity bands (save for those areas without band 5 licenses)
    Verizon has stated that band 48 with be 4G LTE capacity band for the time being.

You can see it in the speedtests folks are already reporting. Some folks on refarmed n5 are seeing better speeds than LTE (clear spectrum). While others in areas where band 5 was already LTE or where there is no band 5, aren’t.
    Don't go to reddit and explain this to some people. Not only are they claiming much worse speeds but are angry that the lowband 5G won't provide them with the Gbps speeds it promised to and that it's not real 5G so Verizon lying when they says it is 5G.

Don’t get me wrong, Verizon still lacks spectrum. Not buying more PAL CBRS still seems like a blunder to me. Granted there is still 40 MHz of shared use, but IMHO CBRS would have been an ideal capacity solution for wireless fixed broadband in smaller/rural communities.
    I thought they go 40 MHz nationwide. Verizon has always preferred nationwide spectrum for a more uniform coverage. I guess the power limits was the thing it certainly wasn't the price. 3450-3550 MHz will be auctioned next year and it doesn't have any power restrictions. So Verizon may go for that. And it can be deployed as soon as mid 2022. So hopefully they jump on 40-60 MHz of that if they can.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't go to reddit and explain this to some people. Not only are they claiming much worse speeds but are angry that the lowband 5G won't provide them with the Gbps speeds it promised to and that it's not real 5G so Verizon lying when they says it is 5G.
    Can partly blame Verizon for this with their UWB 5G advertising. The average user doesn’t know, nor care, what the differences are between the wide channels of MMwave and the smaller channels of N5 are, they only see Verizon advertising super fast 5G speeds with their MMwave 5G network and wonder why they aren’t getting that with their 5G they see. It’s up to the carrier to advertise the difference. T-Mobile I think does a decent job of this, not a great job, but they do a better job at explaining it and at least tell customers not to expect much better (they claim around a 20% increase) in speeds on their N71 5G network. The layer cake marketing was stupid yes, but, it at least explained in simple terms to non tech savvy users what was going on.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast