Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Constant disappearing of mobile data West of Ohio.

Feedback Score

Constant disappearing of mobile data West of Ohio.

I am a truck driver and drive a lot east to west and back. Starting December 2019 I started using Samsung A70MN on Verizon. Though the phone is not officially supported by Verizon it worked fine up until the beginning of August this year. Starting August it became weird. In the states east of Indiana (NY, NJ, MA, ME, CT, VA, MD, PA, OH, WV) it still works fine. As soon as you cross the Indiana border, and further west, the fun begins. The data connection gets constantly lost. It still shows LTE connection, but no data. If I turn mobile data off/on, I get mobile data back sometimes for several seconds, sometimes for several minutes. Then it disappeares again. Turn it off/on again. Get some data. Then again and again and again. At the same time only one out of three outgoing calls can get through. It mainly happens in the moving truck. If the truck is not moving usually it works fine. But there are some instances, when the same happens even if the truck is not moving.
    I tried reseting the phone - nothing. I installed the firmware back from the beginning of the year - nothing.
    Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    do you loose any cellular service or just data ?? does the phone show roaming in those areas ?? might try turning on data Roaming - https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/m...mobile-device/

Feedback Score
    Like I said. One out of 3 outgoing calls go through. No roaming. Shows strong Verizon signal. VoLTE. And it is not just the areas. It is all over west of OH/IN border (IN, IL, WI, MN, SD, ND, IA, WY, UT, CO...). Data roaming is on. Nothing changed in device setup from before. Worked fine before August. Still works fine in the east states.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m_vaysman View Post
    I am a truck driver and drive a lot east to west and back. Starting December 2019 I started using Samsung A70MN on Verizon. Though the phone is not officially supported by Verizon it worked fine up until the beginning of August this year. Starting August it became weird. In the states east of Indiana (NY, NJ, MA, ME, CT, VA, MD, PA, OH, WV) it still works fine. As soon as you cross the Indiana border, and further west, the fun begins. The data connection gets constantly lost. It still shows LTE connection, but no data. If I turn mobile data off/on, I get mobile data back sometimes for several seconds, sometimes for several minutes. Then it disappeares again. Turn it off/on again. Get some data. Then again and again and again. At the same time only one out of three outgoing calls can get through. It mainly happens in the moving truck. If the truck is not moving usually it works fine. But there are some instances, when the same happens even if the truck is not moving.
    I tried reseting the phone - nothing. I installed the firmware back from the beginning of the year - nothing.
    Any ideas?
    That's kinda the thing with devices that aren't supported by Verizon they may work at first but it doesn't mean issues won't arise. You could try a new sim card but other than that I mean . Maybe try resetting the network settings, last option is a factory reset but do be mindful any of these could just make the phone not work period on verizon

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Please, please, please. Before you answer read carefully and thoroughly the question. Do not give advices like reset the network settings or reset the phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    It does not have Band 13 support, which is required for Verizon in rural areas.

4G Network: B1,B2,B3,B4,B5,B7,B8,B12,B13,B17,B20,B28,B66

I can only find it for sale on newegg, and It does have B2,4,5,66... which is quite a chunk of Verizon's LTE network. but rurally you are going to need Band 13 support.

Before it was probably able to drop back to CDMA for calls (even though it's not officially supported) and in prep to shut off 3G in December, Verizon disabled it for your IMEI.

It's also possible you are going into an area Verizon does not hold one of the CLR B5 licences, and your phone is essentially using a weak PCS/AWS signal since it cannot lock onto Band 13/700MHz which is what Verizon installed originally for LTE and is used for further range/coverage, and CDMA probably worked fine as it does reach further than LTE even on PCS.

AKA - make sure you get a phone that's fully compatible with Verizon before buying it. The phone will work perfectly on AT&T or T-Mobile though, as it has Band 12 and 17. Still missing Band 14 for AT&T, and Band 71 for T-Mobile, but it does have the main low band frequencies they use.

Grab a cheap phone with Band 13 support.. swap your SIM into it, and i'm betting your service issues disappear in those areas.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Feedback Score
    It does have band 13 support. It is the MN version. On the other other hand it does not have CDMA at all. It supports all Verizon LTE frequencies.

Feedback Score
    Please, please, please. Before you answer read carefully and thoroughly the question. Do not give advices like reset the network settings or reset the phone.
    Again I did you said you're using a unsupported device those are your options, it's the risk of using an unsupported device there may be weird issues like that

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwtgt View Post
    Again I did you said you're using a unsupported device those are your options, it's the risk of using an unsupported device there may be weird issues like that
    Seems most unlocked Samsung A series phones do not support Verizon. The A50 they sell is a special model that they have put on their "whitelist".

From a Verizon rep:
    "We do not sell or carry the Samsung A70 or the Samsung A80, but before you purchase these two devices from a 3rd party, please make sure that they are compatible with our network by using this link https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/ If they show they are compatible with our network, please know that we cannot always guarantee that all features will work."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Seems most unlocked Samsung A series phones do not support Verizon. The A50 they sell is a special model that they have put on their "whitelist".

From a Verizon rep:
    "We do not sell or carry the Samsung A70 or the Samsung A80, but before you purchase these two devices from a 3rd party, please make sure that they are compatible with our network by using this link https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/ If they show they are compatible with our network, please know that we cannot always guarantee that all features will work."
    Yea Verizon has gotten better about supporting alot of unlocked devices but they still aren't the best. Hopefully with CDMA shut down and moving more to 5G they become alittle more welcoming of more unlocked devices

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    It does have band 13 support. It is the MN version. On the other other hand it does not have CDMA at all. It supports all Verizon LTE frequencies.
    The model you listed at the OP is the Latin American version, which in fact does *not* have B13

Regardless if you want a cheap phone that’s unlocked and works across all carriers without a hitch your only two options are the Pixel A series or an iPhone SE. Otherwise you’re going to have issues with the cheap android phones - as it likely doesn’t have the correct carrier package for Verizon

This is one of the main reasons I went back to an iPhone. The thing just works no matter the carrier I attach it too.. I consider myself a serial sim swapper, and my android devices just never handled that well without a bunch of fuss and tinkering, and other than being able to get “free” YouTube premium (which I pay for anyway), or pirating media.. there’s nothing this iPhone can’t do for me

Feedback Score
    Yes, no CDMA for voice which is a problem if the LTE is weak. I would install a signal app to check the various areas you travel. I mostly use Network Cell Info Lite. The main page shows the band if Location is turned on. Couple of pages over shows if voice is on LTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had the same thing with an old phone (5 years ago) when moving from SC to WA. Lets just say one of my first checks led to me switching carriers.
    Also, my phone didn't work in many areas along I-90 in Montana.

I already knew VZW had large trouble areas in Redmond, WA - which I noticed did NOT change with time.
    (First noticed this issue when I had a contract with Verizon 15 years ago, and those coverage gaps still existed in the same spots 5 years ago.)

Though, like I was reading the device may also not have all the bands needed for Verizon LTE/VoLTE.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I think it does have band 13; sites indicate it does, plus it's not a complaint of poor coverage, it's service not working right since August in places where it previously was. At least in Iowa, Wisconsin, per cellmapper some of the rural sites have received the full band treatment, quite a few are still band 13 only... if you didn't have band 13 through the midwest you'd know.

I can't find anything online, but years and years back when I first got my Verizon service, it came with this travel card with like 3 sets of dialing instructions for doing 3-way calling, putting people on hold, etc.,it was weird, like the northeast had 1 set of instructions, most of the midwest and some other areas had a second set, and the rest had a 3rd set, the cutoff was Ohio I think. This was from running the Nokia, Samsung, and Erricson phone switches, and (since Verizon was recently formed) had not standardized the dialing codes yet. I wonder if you're hitting a particular vendor's equipment throughout that region and having some issue with it?
    I installed the firmware back from the beginning of the year - nothing.
    Full firmware? Depends on the phone, but you can usually flash firmware and radio firmware independently, so it's possible to put the old firmware on there but still have the newer radio. Sometimes this is fine (if some android upgrade was too slow or ram hungry, broke root if you wanted a rooted phone, or whatever, but the radio ran better, or the new update was awesome otherwise but screwed up the radio you could flash on the older radio... on some phones you can more or less mix and match main firmware and radio firmware), sometimes a problem (newer radio firmware has some bugs or slower speeds), sometimes a bigger problem (they changed the programmer interface to the radio so the old firmware does not work right at all without the older radio.)

Edit: If you're doing it with Odin or Heimdall, the AP ("application processor") is your android firmware, BL (boot loader) I don't think I ever messed with that, CP (phone) is the radio firmware, and CSC (which I don't recall updating...) is "Country Specific Code", per google it's for setting some phone defaults like language and such.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I think it does have band 13; sites indicate it does, plus it's not a complaint of poor coverage, it's service not working right since August in places where it previously was. At least in Iowa, Wisconsin, per cellmapper some of the rural sites have received the full band treatment, quite a few are still band 13 only... if you didn't have band 13 through the midwest you'd know.

I can't find anything online, but years and years back when I first got my Verizon service, it came with this travel card with like 3 sets of dialing instructions for doing 3-way calling, putting people on hold, etc.,it was weird, like the northeast had 1 set of instructions, most of the midwest and some other areas had a second set, and the rest had a 3rd set, the cutoff was Ohio I think. This was from running the Nokia, Samsung, and Erricson phone switches, and (since Verizon was recently formed) had not standardized the dialing codes yet. I wonder if you're hitting a particular vendor's equipment throughout that region and having some issue with it?

Full firmware? Depends on the phone, but you can usually flash firmware and radio firmware independently, so it's possible to put the old firmware on there but still have the newer radio. Sometimes this is fine (if some android upgrade was too slow or ram hungry, broke root if you wanted a rooted phone, or whatever, but the radio ran better, or the new update was awesome otherwise but screwed up the radio you could flash on the older radio... on some phones you can more or less mix and match main firmware and radio firmware), sometimes a problem (newer radio firmware has some bugs or slower speeds), sometimes a bigger problem (they changed the programmer interface to the radio so the old firmware does not work right at all without the older radio.)
    ... and for sim swapping this above is the reason I'll only buy a Pixel or iPhone.. they "just work" You can either buy a network agnostic device and not use it on Verizon (thus why most sites say they do not support it on Verizon). For instance, I have a Nokia 7.1 that "usually" works fine with a Verizon SIM, but Verizon being Verizon.. I expect to have issues with it if I do choose to use it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast