Thread: freedompop basic activation

Feedback Score

freedompop basic activation

If I purchase the freedompop sim from BestBuy ... are there any other charges I need to be aware of to activate on the free plan? Is activation easy enough to do?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aikiteresa View Post
    If I purchase the freedompop sim from BestBuy ... are there any other charges I need to be aware of to activate on the free plan? Is activation easy enough to do?
    I use multiple FP free plan SIMs, and they are trouble free, but I activated them all in 2016 and 2017 when it was possible to get 1,200MB/mo free and trouble free, and even with the now reduced monthly allotment, mine still work, and I've had no billing issues.

That said, I don't recommend the FP free plan for new signups anymore. For the current maximum 200MB/mo (250MB/mo with Freedom Friends), it's too difficult to get all the paid options turned off, the last time I checked, they require a top-up balance to remain completely free, and they require a payment method to be kept on file.

I also use and DO recommend the FP 1GB/mo annual prepaid plan, which is sometimes on sale for $34.99 and Best Buy and/or Target.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedom...?skuId=6187400

https://www.target.com/p/freedompop-...a/-/A-53511519

Feedback Score
    Extreme extreme warning, Do not give them a credit card, ever

Do not use the same email/account for more than one sim

Do not listen to them if they ask for a card to give you 'more free data' or 'just in case' or anything

DO NOT GIVE A CARD

Feedback Score
    Good advice. Never Never give Freedom pop a card!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto Z4,Moto e5,ZTE Z320,Pokefi,Isatphone 2.1,Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible,Sprint,Piranha,Pokefi,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    About the only totally free ad supported service left out there without demanding a credit card is TextNow https://www.textnow.com VoIP over WiFi with fallback to VoIP over Sprint using their TextNow app on a Sprint smartphone. Unlimited talk and text included but no free web surfing data. Have it as a backup. Monthly bill for zero dollars.

Sent from my moto z4 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphinaud View Post
    Extreme extreme warning, Do not give them a credit card, ever

Do not use the same email/account for more than one sim

Do not listen to them if they ask for a card to give you 'more free data' or 'just in case' or anything

DO NOT GIVE A CARD
    I have no problem with your advice. Just wanted to point out that giving them a verified payment source is an absolute requirement for the free plan. I don't think there are any remaining debit cards that they will accept. The closest workaround is if you can make the requirement 'deposit' via Paypal, and rescind the authorization for recurring charges within your PayPal account. (This was possible a year or so ago, and will likely cause a failure/suspension if/when FreedomPop hits your account with one of the $0,91 verification charges, which are usually refunded within a few days.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    I have no problem with your advice. Just wanted to point out that giving them a verified payment source is an absolute requirement for the free plan. I don't think there are any remaining debit cards that they will accept. The closest workaround is if you can make the requirement 'deposit' via Paypal, and rescind the authorization for recurring charges within your PayPal account. (This was possible a year or so ago, and will likely cause a failure/suspension if/when FreedomPop hits your account with one of the $0,91 verification charges, which are usually refunded within a few days.)
    Interesting, I didn't realise that. I believe you can redeem the 1-year prepaid card without a CC, but they will hound you and dark pattern you endlessly on every single click to try to get a CC out of you for it.

Feedback Score
    Interesting, I didn't realise that. I believe you can redeem the 1-year prepaid card without a CC, but they will hound you and dark pattern you endlessly on every single click to try to get a CC out of you for it.
    That's COMPLETELTY FALSE! Why would you say something like that!?

I've used FP annual prepaid plans for two years and never ONCE has FP in any way tried to get me to add a CC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

I've used FP annual prepaid plans for two years and never ONCE has FP in any way tried to get me to add a CC.
    Really? Are legacy accounts on a different user interface or something, or is there some A/B testing, or do the ads go away after ignoring them long enough?

On a fresh account activated this month:

The first thing I see on login is " Get 500 MB of FREE bonus data ($10 value) when you update your billing information today! "

On top of most if not all pages is a large blue banner that says "Update your billing information today to get a special 500 MB LTE Bonus ($10 value)! You will also be able to switch plans, add more LTE data, and extend your current service."

There is a 'unread' dot on the notification bell that doesn't go away after you click it that says welcome to FP, you should get more data.

They also send nonstop emails like "Get a second line and 1GB bonus data for a penny!" and crap telling me to add a card and sign up for auto topup to "never risk being without data"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

The fact that your experience is/was different doesn’t make someone else’s experience false.

Device(s)
    BLU V5, iPhone 6, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    TruPhone (ATT), Mint Mobile (TMo), T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Really? Are legacy accounts on a different user interface or something, or is there some A/B testing, or do the ads go away after ignoring them long enough?

The first thing I see on login is " Get 500 MB of FREE bonus data ($10 value) when you update your billing information today! "

On top of most if not all pages is a large blue banner that says "Update your billing information today to get a special 500 MB LTE Bonus ($10 value)! You will also be able to switch plans, add more LTE data, and extend your current service."

There is a 'unread' dot on the notification bell that doesn't go away after you click it that says welcome to FP, you should get more data.

They also send nonstop emails like "Get a second line and 1GB bonus data for a penny!" and crap telling me to add a card and sign up for auto topup to "never risk being without data"
    I bought a three-month Sim from eBay and had that pop up when I was first setting up my phone. I pressed decline and “don’t show this message again” and I haven’t seen it since. I haven’t gotten any emails from them either, but I went into settings and turned that option off.

YMMV, but check your options and make sure to turn those alerts off and you should stop seeing them.

Good Luck!

iPhone 6 on Mint Mobile (primary)
    BLU V5 on TruPhone and FreedomPop data (backup)
    iPad 4 on T-Mobile free data

iPhone 6 on Mint Mobile (primary)
    BLU V5 on TruPhone (backup)
    iPad 4 on T-Mobile free data

Feedback Score

Okay. It's different usage. I use mine for data only, so I don't have the FP Messaging app installed. This is probably my fault for not clarifying how I use my FP annual prepaid SIMs.

However, regarding emails, I DON'T get advertisement emails from FP, either for my free plan SIMs or my annual prepaid SIM, so that one is harder to explain.

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    The first 3 months I had FP all was fine until they added a $2.99 service fee. So with rollover added I pay $7/mo for data access which I use when I'm out of range of Sprint or WiFi. I have 4 gig of data built up. 3 gig was from when I signed up over a year ago.

I am going to have to figure out how to use the $10 I deposited paid back or used. I guess just cancel the rollover, then use up the data on my next long trip. So far the Tello T/T/data has worked good everywhere I have gone in Texas & Louisiana.