Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tracfone just erased over 10GB of my data

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Somebody paid for that GB and Tracfone has no right to steal it.

Just because you don't need something today, next week may be different.

Mail a GB card to Carlos and see if that makes sense.

OP may want to sell the airtime.
    I appreciate your comments. I don't think TracFone did it on purpose, it was either a glitch or the person who was helping me just entered the data wrong. Either way, it did upset me somewhat. I'm also not a big fan of being called a liar. TracFone is actually my main number and has always been. My usage is low enough that they make sense for me. I intend to keep the line, besides I just got a brand new Moto E6 from the Visible deal to replace my very old Moto G4 play. The GPS finally completely died on the G4 play, RIP. Yeah, I use outdated tech because I'm old.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YaWho View Post
    One of the things I like about TracFone is that minutes/texts/data all carry over. I think that is what keeps a lot of people with TracFone for so long. I've been with them since at least 2006, I had to check my emails because I wasn't sure. Anyway, I've been building up the buckets for a long time. I like to have the extra buckets there just in case. An emergency, a vacation, whatever... I don't think I ever specifically bought just data, it just keeps building up over the years as I extend my expiration date which is in late 2023 now. So yeah, I would like that GB back. I understand some people may find that unreasonable.

Not unreasonable at all, but is it worth the time and effort

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I like (really dislike & am disgusted by) when TF steals mins/txt/data/exp they'll restore them a little at a time. Like in increments. It's total BS of TF & it's their SOP.
    The last time Tracfone 'lost' my data, they restored about 90%, only after I filed an FCC complaint. (I had plenty of documentation.) The claim was that the system maxed out at the amount restored, and more just wasn't possible.

I agree that it's standard operating procedure for Tracfone to try to shortchange you, even when it's clearly a Tracfone error & they've admitted the error. It's the thing that bothers me most about Tracfone.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LCSJL View Post
    Not unreasonable at all, but is it worth the time and effort
    Exactly. Back in April 2015, I had about 6000/7500/7500 in my main phone's bucket. A week later, I happened to check the balance and I had about 6000/6000/6350. I lost 1500 texts and 1150 MB. I was kind of pissed off that TF "stole" those units without any kind of transfers/activities going on. But since I hardly use texts and data, I didn't bother fighting with TF to get them back.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Exactly. Back in April 2015, I had about 6000/7500/7500 in my main phone's bucket. A week later, I happened to check the balance and I had about 6000/6000/6350. I lost 1500 texts and 1150 MB. I was kind of pissed off that TF "stole" those units without any kind of transfers/activities going on. But since I hardly use texts and data, I didn't bother fighting with TF to get them back.
    So this is a pattern of abuse whereby Tracfone imposes a sort of "tax" where they just blatantly steal from your buckets randomly.

edit: Also, TracFone did not call me back yesterday as promised and I am still short 1GB of data.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I finally got back all my data. The last 1GB was added to my account.

Feedback Score
    I'm glad it worked out.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So this is a pattern of abuse whereby Tracfone imposes a sort of "tax" where they just blatantly steal from your buckets randomly.
    It used to be that TF Fraud Prevention Dept were suspicious of any account with balances over 5000 units and just "trimmed" some of them. You have to prove to them that you paid for those units to get them back, which most people couldn't. I agree that it's a form of accusing the customers of theft until they can prove their innocence. Fortunately they haven't done that lately, or raised the threshold to 10,000 or so. I still check/take screenshots of my balances every 1st of the month to monitor my usage and also to keep an eye on them.

Feedback Score
    It's BS of TF & they haven't stopped because they get away with it 90%+ of the time.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    I think there's a reason why they chose Florida. In Virginia and elsewhere, they would've gotten their a's kicked.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Fortunately they haven't done that lately, or raised the threshold to 10,000 or so.
    Maybe 10GB+ triggered something.

Here is what happened for posterity:

I did break HoFo's recommendations by trying to transfer on the website by activating a new SIM.
    It was on a Sunday 9/20 so I figured they were closed and I was eager to try the moto E6.
    Anyway, afterwards it said to leave the old phone on until it stops working (up to 2 business days).
    Then put the fresh SIM in the new phone.
    Well Monday passes and then on Tuesday 9/22 the old phone was still working at around 4PM CST.
    So I started a chat. She went through her checklist and nothing was working and then

Mary Ann : Let me contact the other department regarding this to see if the account can be updated on our Billing System.
    Mary Ann : It seems like the account is not yet provisioned on our system.
    Mary Ann : We will be needing to schedule you a callback in at least 15 minutes to speak with you directly regarding this.
    Mary Ann : Our system is not yet updated with the new sim card on your account.
    Mary Ann : Right now you have:
    Total Data Balance 10.75 GB

So chat ends.
    My account still shows 10.75GB (I've been checking all long)

Later my phone rings. It is a woman from TracFone and I stupidly don't get a name or reference number but she fixes something so the phone works. I'm excited it finally works and I don't ask for my balances, duh

As soon as she hangs up I check my balances and I have 9.77MB !

I freak out and post this thread here, LOL

Then I call Tracfone's main number. I'm told the system did the transfer automatically so I had 9.77MB before and after and I'm wrong. She transfers me to Corporate after I ask her to

Corporate guy argues, checks some stuff and concludes I've been with them since 2015 (actually 2006) and he will add 10GB to my account because that is the max he can do. He adds it and my account shows 9.77GB, he says it's a conversion thing blah blah blah is there anything else I can do for you?

Yeah, you could add more so my account shows 10.75GB. He flips out, I put the hammer down and he transfers me to higher up. She says they will add it tomorrow Wed. 9/23 and they will call me.

Wed 9/23 no call

Thurs 9/24 - I open a chat, give her the reference number from above she adds 1GB, I check my account and it shows 10.75GB exactly

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Corporate guy argues, checks some stuff and concludes I've been with them since 2015 (actually 2006) and he will add 10GB to my account because that is the max he can do. He adds it and my account shows 9.77GB, he says it's a conversion thing blah blah blah is there anything else I can do for you?

Yeah, you could add more so my account shows 10.75GB.
    It IS a conversion thing. The max units (minutes, texts, MB) that a TF rep can add in a day is 10,000. Minutes and texts use the decimal system, so 10,000 is 10,000. But data uses the hexadecimal system, in which a K = 1024 (not 1000). A GB is 1K of MB. So when the TF guy added the data to your bucket, the max he could add was 10,000 MB, and 10,000 MB is 9.765GB (10,000 divided by 1024 is 9.765, rounded up as 9.77). Since that's the max a rep could add in one day, they had to wait until the next day to add the rest.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It IS a conversion thing. The max units (minutes, texts, MB) that a TF rep can add in a day is 10,000. Minutes and texts use the decimal system, so 10,000 is 10,000. But data uses the hexadecimal system, in which a K = 1024 (not 1000). A GB is 1K of MB. So when the TF guy added the data to your bucket, the max he could add was 10,000 MB, and 10,000 MB is 9.765GB (10,000 divided by 1024 is 9.765, rounded up as 9.77). Since that's the max a rep could add in one day, they had to wait until the next day to add the rest.
    Yes, I understand the conversion. I didn't mean to imply he was incorrect, just explaining the small difference in the numbers. Anyway, I'm just glad it's over.

Feedback Score
    It used to be that TF Fraud Prevention Dept were suspicious of any account with balances over 5000 units and just "trimmed" some of them. You have to prove to them that you paid for those units to get them back, which most people couldn't. I agree that it's a form of accusing the customers of theft until they can prove their innocence. Fortunately they haven't done that lately, or raised the threshold to 10,000 or so. I still check/take screenshots of my balances every 1st of the month to monitor my usage and also to keep an eye on them.
    I dont think there is a limit anymore as one of my managed numbers has 20k + minutes on it and its been there for months. i had a second with 40k that was a glitch (transferred sim and it moved the text to voice x10,). i ported that number to Visible as data is what was needed, not minutes as that line had 0 texts and 0 data and also expired in 2021.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Useful to know there's a cap. When I finally recovered my balances, all were in the 4000-6000 region, so none exceeded the 10,000 unit limit. Oddly, they over-credited me for minutes by several 100 units, and undercredited data, despite the minutes bucket being larger & apparently not hitting any limit on single-day additions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2