T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

ATT joins Verizon in raising concerns over Magenta’s spectrum cache

Name:  IMG_0204.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  60.8 KB

https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...spectrum-cache

Months after T-Mobile closed its acquisition of Sprint, Verizon and AT&T are raising concerns about T-Mobile's concentration of spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Last edited by @TheRealDanny; 09-22-2020 at 02:37 PM.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Sounds like the duopoly is turning into a couple of babies now that they have an actual third competitor to compete with.

They need to stop the whining and the crying and start competing. They still have more customers and more revenue. Imagine, they're complaining that T-Mobile is leasing unused spectrum and deploying it for use by people. Wow.

Feedback Score
    Why compete when you can have lawyers stifle competition?

Device(s)
    IPHONE 6
    Carrier(s)
    VZW•AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Sounds like the duopoly is turning into a couple of babies now that they have an actual third competitor to compete with.

They need to stop the whining and the crying and start competing. They still have more customers and more revenue. Imagine, they're complaining that T-Mobile is leasing unused spectrum and deploying it for use by people. Wow.
    If I recall, they are doing the same thing T-Mobile did. This is like the time people were complaining that At&t/Verizon charged activation fees while tmobile was charging 25 for a SIM card. I saw all of them charging one thing or another. Business is a business

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    VZW•UDP-AT&T•INTL.UDP A

Feedback Score
    Boo hoo AT&T & Verizon — way to be asleep at the wheel.

They could both just lease / purchase spectrum from Tmo :-P

Or one of them could just buy Dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    This is really bizarre. I wonder why didn't they object BEFORE the merger was complete? This is really strange to complain after the fact.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    This is really bizarre. I wonder why didn't they object BEFORE the merger was complete? This is really strange to complain after the fact.
    I've always suspected they were lobbying behind the scenes and were encouraging these attorney generals to block it. To answer your question, I think they thought it would look bad if the two largest companies came out against the merger of two smaller companies. They thought it would look weak to protest it---and may have had the reverse effect of it being pushed through faster.

So in public, they were like, eh we don't care one way or the other. But in private, they knew what competition would happen if this went through. So I believe that's why they never objected beforehand.

And where are all of the merger opponents who said that AT&T and Verizon would WELCOME this merger? I haven't heard much from them lately...maybe some are still around.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm not pro or anti any carrier. I'm pro-consumer. The tool the FCC has to assure competition is setting rules to assure a distribution of spectrum that allows for at least four viable national carriers. T-Mobile is currently sitting in the catbird seat when it comes to spectrum. The only disadvantage they seem to have is that band 71 is not yet universally on all smartphones. Verizon, OTOH, has gone from having adequate spectrum to being relatively impecunious. AT&T has quite a bit, but as FirstNet becomes more saturated, band 14 may not be available for non-FirstNet customers.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't call it hoarding when it's only been 5-6 months since TMO took ownership of 2.5. a new band takes years to rollout new equipment

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Verizon and AT&T are raising concerns about T-Mobile's concentration of spectrum.
    They can go ahead and raise concerns... they could have bought Sprint too and had all that spectrum, they didn't. (AT&T's debt load's pretty high but it doesn't seem to have stopped them from other large purchases...). They did at least have Sprint/T-Mo shed off that 800mhz spectrum, low band being particularly important spectrum.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

ATT joins Verizon in raising concerns over Magenta’s spectrum cache

Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    They can go ahead and raise concerns... they could have bought Sprint too and had all that spectrum, they didn't. (AT&T's debt load's pretty high but it doesn't seem to have stopped them from other large purchases...). They did at least have Sprint/T-Mo shed off that 800mhz spectrum, low band being particularly important spectrum.
    No they couldn’t of. Verizon/sprint or At&t/sprint likely never gets approved. They had a hard enough time getting T-Mobile/Sprint approved. That 800 spectrum being divested is also tricky. Dish has first rights to it, but, if dish chooses not to buy it T-Mobile has to auction it off, if the auction price doesnt meet a certain number, T-Mobile has the opportunity to keep the spectrum.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The duopoly lovers and carriers are panicking and using this a reason to try to undermine T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I'm not pro or anti any carrier. I'm pro-consumer. The tool the FCC has to assure competition is setting rules to assure a distribution of spectrum that allows for at least four viable national carriers. T-Mobile is currently sitting in the catbird seat when it comes to spectrum. The only disadvantage they seem to have is that band 71 is not yet universally on all smartphones. Verizon, OTOH, has gone from having adequate spectrum to being relatively impecunious. AT&T has quite a bit, but as FirstNet becomes more saturated, band 14 may not be available for non-FirstNet customers.
    That's what I think may eventually happen. Band 14 use is not a guarantee for the average consumer like it is for first responder. Wouldn't surprise me if eventually regular customers rarely get access to it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    No way a merger with Sprint and at&t or Verizon would ever get approved. T-Mobile did this same sort of thing for the 600 MHz auction. regardless T-Mobile isn't going heavy into C-band. yes they'll bid up the prices to make it a pain for at&t and Verizon and those 2 can do the same when the 2.5 GHz auction happens next year. Which is an auction T-Mobile should be more interested in.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast