Thread: What's the cheapest unlocked smartphone that is compatible with both CDMA and GSM providers?

Feedback Score

Question What's the cheapest unlocked smartphone that is compatible with both CDMA and GSM providers?

Basically the title: What's the cheapest unlocked smartphone that is compatible with both CDMA and GSM providers?

I'm looking for a cheap, new smartphone, that would be compatible with all of the U.S. cell phone providers (CDMA and GSM), for backup purposes.

Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mytellomvno View Post
    Basically the title: What's the cheapest unlocked smartphone that is compatible with both CDMA and GSM providers?

I'm looking for a cheap, new smartphone, that would be compatible with all of the U.S. cell phone providers (CDMA and GSM), for backup purposes....
    Moto E6 is the cheapest I can think of. $99 from Moto.

FWIW, GSM and CDMA are no longer relevant. Both are obsolete. Verizon is turning off what little is left of their CDMA at the end of the year. T-Mobile is the only major carrier still running some GSM and there is not much of that left. Sprint continues to use CDMA, but they are being converted to T-Mobile. T-Mo will not be running any CDMA after the transition.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget that US carriers are no longer activating non-VOLTE devices. Current devices utilizing older technology will only work for a few more years longer. CDMA and GSM networks are being retired and replaced with VOLTE (4G) and/or the emerging 5G networks. If you plan to use the phone in the US, don't invest in phones relying on CDMA or GSM solely.

FWIW: there are newer folding/flip phones that support the 4G networks at about $100 or less sold by most carriers currently.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 04-12-2021 at 04:50 PM.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Moto G7 Play XT1952-4 or XT1952-3 already compatible with T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon including VoLTE.
    Last edited by RFK; 10-02-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Feedback Score
    Hi, I am Saim and I have redmi mobile. it's screen is locked how can I unlock it. Please give me any guidance

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Moto E6 is the cheapest I can think of. $99 from Moto.

FWIW, GSM and CDMA are no longer relevant. Both are obsolete. Verizon is turning off what little is left of their CDMA at the end of the year. T-Mobile is the only major carrier still running some GSM and there is not much of that left. Sprint continues to use CDMA, but they are being converted to T-Mobile. T-Mo will not be running any CDMA after the transition.
    Moto E6 has now returned to the $150.

Feedback Score
    Nuu might be worth a look.

us.nuumobile.com

Device(s)
    S22+/A51/A71 5G, Pixel 7/6a, Moto G7 Power/Z3 Play/One 5G Ace, iPhone SE3
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Moto E6 has now returned to the $150.
    The current newer version Moto E is $120 (go figure).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    The current newer version Moto E is $120 (go figure).
    Okay if you say. Sources differ. Sales decisions change. Also notice, "Moto E" and "Moto E6".

Device(s)
    S22+/A51/A71 5G, Pixel 7/6a, Moto G7 Power/Z3 Play/One 5G Ace, iPhone SE3
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Okay if you say. Sources differ. Sales decisions change. Also notice, "Moto E" and "Moto E6".
    No criticism of your statement was intended. The current "Moto E" is actually the 7th generation, but they don't use E7 in the name.

By "go figure", I meant how Motorola would price a newer, updated version less than the older one.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power, Moto G Stylus, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, Tracfone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    By "go figure", I meant how Motorola would price a newer, updated version less than the older one.
    Exactly, other than the FM radio on the E6, the Moto E is a better phone.

Sent from my moto g stylus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    No criticism of your statement was intended. The current "Moto E" is actually the 7th generation, but they don't use E7 in the name.

It did not worry me. Like I said, sources even if the same may differ at times.
    I was pointing to different model of Moto: One of them is called Moto E, and another is called Moto E6.

Several weeks ago Motorola was selling Moto E6 for $99, after it was for ~$150. The price from Motorola has again returned to $150. (Really shown as "$149", but close enough).

First choice to checkwhen shopping for an unlocked android smartphone should be Motorola Moto within E&G/E?/G? models. (Include! Not exclusive.)

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Kroger has a Tracfone LG Journey for $17.88. It isn't unlocked, but Page Plus says they will take it. 6c/min. is pretty cheap. CDMA is about to be history.