Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just signed up for the free Hot Spot Trial - questions

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Just signed up for the free Hot Spot Trial - questions

I'm currently on VZ, and I'm not completely satisfied. I mentioned on another thread here, I'm getting very slow LTE at my campuses I work at (3g, 1x), at my parents' (3g, 1x), and at my in-laws'.

I had T-Mo about 3 years ago and left due to poor building penetration. I couldn't use my phone inside stores, restaurants, hotels, etc. It was horrible!

I'm willing to give T-mo another shot. I have an unbranded 8+ and was wondering if there's any way that little hot spot device would perform better than my 8+. I don't want to be left with a false impression that it's going to work well because the hot spot did, only to sign up and find out my 8+ doesn't work well after all.

Any tips or anything I should know about this little hot spot device? I'm looking to switch back to AT&T or T-mo most likely when the iphone 12 releases.

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Not sure if it's the same one they gave out last year. In the pics on the sign up page it doesn't look the same. You're connecting to it via wi-fi but of course the hotspot getting it's signal via the T-Mobile towers. So if you can try to use the 5 GHz band as it's less likely to be congested and you'd get more accurate results. Been a year since I tried it out I might sign up for another one again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    I'm currently on VZ, and I'm not completely satisfied. I mentioned on another thread here, I'm getting very slow LTE at my campuses I work at (3g, 1x), at my parents' (3g, 1x), and at my in-laws'.

I had T-Mo about 3 years ago and left due to poor building penetration. I couldn't use my phone inside stores, restaurants, hotels, etc. It was horrible!

I'm willing to give T-mo another shot. I have an unbranded 8+ and was wondering if there's any way that little hot spot device would perform better than my 8+. I don't want to be left with a false impression that it's going to work well because the hot spot did, only to sign up and find out my 8+ doesn't work well after all.

Any tips or anything I should know about this little hot spot device? I'm looking to switch back to AT&T or T-mo most likely when the iphone 12 releases.

Thank you!
    The technology involved is the propagation of radio signals and how they penetrate materials. Lower frequencies have longer range and penetrate materials better than higher frequencies.

Prior to about three years ago T-Mobile primarily used 1700 and 1900 MHz. About three years ago they bought nationwide licenses for 600 MHz. This is a game changer for range and material penetration from the cells.

The 600 MHz spectrum was previously used by UHF TV stations. T-Mobile had to wait until the TV stations moved to other frequencies to deploy 600 MHz as cell service. This was a several year process with the final TV stations moving just this Summer.

Your iPhone 8+ does not have 600 MHz LTE band 71. The test drive hotspot does. The hotspot will not give you the full picture of what your 8+ will do with T-Mo service. I would expect your 8+ to continue to perform poorly for building penetration where T-Mo 1700 and 1900 MHz are weak. A newer phone with Band 71 is what will get better building penetration.

The hotspot device connects to the cells and provides WiFi to your phone. This will show you how well T-Mo mobile data works. To test, connect to the hotspot WiFi with your phone and do some web browsing, video streaming, and speed tests. If the speed tests show solid 3 Mbps or better that is a usable data rate and calls can be expected to work well on a phone.

As previously mentioned, T-Mo may now work well in metro areas and their suburbs, but I would not expect good or even any service out in rural areas. This has been my experience. In rural areas around me T-Mo is utter crap. T-Mo is building and may get there someday in the next few years, but, for now, they are still primarily a metro area service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Not sure if it's the same one they gave out last year. In the pics on the sign up page it doesn't look the same. You're connecting to it via wi-fi but of course the hotspot getting it's signal via the T-Mobile towers. So if you can try to use the 5 GHz band as it's less likely to be congested and you'd get more accurate results. Been a year since I tried it out I might sign up for another one again.
    Yeah, the previous one was a ZTE Coolpad Surf. I heard that the current one is a Franklin model. I tried getting another one and it did not let me. I did not fiddle with it much to see if a different email address or telephone number would work.

The old one does work with my free 200 MB a month tablet SIM. Don't know if they still offer those.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Re: the iPhone 8+. It largely depends on where you are. If you live where T-Mobile has band-12 coverage, it can be good. At least a good indication of what sort of coverage you can expect, if not the best speed tests indoors. The 8+ has all T-Mobile's current bands (including 41) except 71. Knowing where you are located would help.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If you like the iPhone 8+ form factor and dedicated home button then get this upcoming model when it launches on T-Mobile:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mac...-best-buy/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Re: the iPhone 8+. It largely depends on where you are. If you live where T-Mobile has band-12 coverage, it can be good. At least a good indication of what sort of coverage you can expect, if not the best speed tests indoors. The 8+ has all T-Mobile's current bands (including 41) except 71. Knowing where you are located would help.
    From previous discussions I believe @maverick22 is concerned with South Dallas.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yes, I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned it (I meant to).

Thank you, everyone, for the replies! Very good information there!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Well, then he has band-12, so his coverage will be pretty much equivalent to a phone with band-71.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, then he has band-12, so his coverage will be pretty much equivalent to a phone with band-71.
    So after testing the hot spot, my 8+ should be pretty on par with the performance I get with the hot spot?

Sorry, I am a complete dummy with the technical side of cellular networks and bands.

thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    So after testing the hot spot, my 8+ should be pretty on par with the performance I get with the hot spot?.....
    Maybe. The hotspot may have band 71 which could give it a speed boost indoors. One thing you might still be able to do is get a Mint Mobile starter kit (SIM) and use it for a week to test T-Mobile. 100 minutes and 100 MB of data for $1-$5 depending on where you buy it.

Feedback Score
    That was not my experience here. There was band 12 here before band 71 was turned on and I got zero T-Mo signal at my house. Since band 71 was turned on last December I get solid, but not fast, T-Mo at home - and everywhere in between home and town.

This could be because they did not widely deploy band 12 on the towers here. I do not live in a high priority metro area.

I don't know if the hotspot SIM will work in a phone. Mine has expired so I can't check it. If it does, it may only work for data.

Feedback Score
    That was not my experience here. There was band 12 here before band 71 was turned on and I got zero T-Mo signal at my house. Since band 71 was turned on last December I get solid, but not fast, T-Mo at home - and everywhere in between home and town.

This could be because they did not widely deploy band 12 on the towers here. I do not live in a high priority metro area.
    band 12 is only 5X5. band 71 in Dallas area with the new leases is 25X25. Likely 10X10 for LTE and 15X15 for 5G. Imagine that 4G speed if all 25X25 had been use for LTE? that would blow Verizon and at&t out of the water. What maybe 5% have 5G phones?

I don't know if the hotspot SIM will work in a phone. Mine has expired so I can't check it. If it does, it may only work for data.
    No it won't

Feedback Score
    Yeah, the previous one was a ZTE Coolpad Surf. I heard that the current one is a Franklin model. I tried getting another one and it did not let me. I did not fiddle with it much to see if a different email address or telephone number would work.
    Well last I checked it says it has to be 6 months since you had used it before. It's been about 11 months for me.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    If you like the iPhone 8+ form factor and dedicated home button then get this upcoming model when it launches on T-Mobile:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mac...-best-buy/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    If that is indeed true, I can see that phone being a hot seller if it’s priced right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast