Thread: Dish’s new 600 MHz lease to T-Mobile could trigger C-band moves

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Dish’s new 600 MHz lease to T-Mobile could trigger C-band moves

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    I'm still shock how few areas this involves. I though for sure T-Mobile would be interested in a nationwide lease. Of course this is an FCC imposed lease. I'm sure these 2 could come to another agreement for other areas. But seeing how this took FCC involvement I'm not sure.

Other than to drive up the price for Verizon and at&t I can't see why T-Mobile would be interred in C-Band. Verizon is going to make sure they get the 100 MHz in the top 50 market that will be available to use by the end of 2021. Everyone else will have to wait until the end of 2023. They could easily just bid on the 3450-3550 MHz spectrum being auctioned next year and that would be free up by summer 2022 which is 18 months sooner. Also all the un-assigned EBS spectrum( 2.5 GHz ) is being auctioned off next year and you'd think T-Mobile would definitely be interested in that. At&t and Verizon could be too. get C-band in the larger markets and 2.5 GHz in the more rural areas where the lower frequency could travel further and it would have higher power limit than the recently auction CBRS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    I'm still shock how few areas this involves. I though for sure T-Mobile would be interested in a nationwide lease. Of course this is an FCC imposed lease. I'm sure these 2 could come to another agreement for other areas. But seeing how this took FCC involvement I'm not sure.

Other than to drive up the price for Verizon and at&t I can't see why T-Mobile would be interred in C-Band. Verizon is going to make sure they get the 100 MHz in the top 50 market that will be available to use by the end of 2021. Everyone else will have to wait until the end of 2023. They could easily just bid on the 3450-3550 MHz spectrum being auctioned next year and that would be free up by summer 2022 which is 18 months sooner. Also all the un-assigned EBS spectrum( 2.5 GHz ) is being auctioned off next year and you'd think T-Mobile would definitely be interested in that. At&t and Verizon could be too. get C-band in the larger markets and 2.5 GHz in the more rural areas where the lower frequency could travel further and it would have higher power limit than the recently auction CBRS.
    Tmo likely wants C band in areas that lack 2.5. Here in Minnesota we have a area that only has 70 MHz or so of 2.5, so they might want more spectrum there

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Tmo likely wants C band in areas that lack 2.5. Here in Minnesota we have a area that only has 70 MHz or so of 2.5, so they might want more spectrum there
    And those areas are being auctioned in 2021 and that spectrum can be used sooner than Dec 2023 and will certainly be cheaper than C-Band. And 116.5 MHz will be up for auction. So I'm not seeing why TMO would go for C-band

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Like T-Mobile needs C-band?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Like T-Mobile needs C-band?
    I'm areas with little to no 2.5 they could

Feedback Score
    I'm areas with little to no 2.5 they could

As I keep saying those area areas going to be auction off next year. Why would they choose 3800-3980 MHz over 2500-2700( roughly ) MHz?

http://www.ruralspectrumscanner.com/...ction-in-2021/

On September 2, 2020, the FCC closed its 2.5 GHz priority filing window for rural Tribes, the first ever priority spectrum filing window for Tribal entities. The window, aimed at closing the digital divide in Tribal areas, opened in February 2020 and received over 400 applications. 2.5 GHz spectrum historically had been divided between the Educational Broadband Service (EBS) for educational entities and uses and Broadband Radio Service (BRS) for commercial uses, but the FCC is in the process of opening up the 2.5 GHz band more widely to all commercial entities. The FCC intends to auction any remaining and unassigned 2.5 GHz spectrum sometime in the first half of 2021.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm areas with little to no 2.5 they could...
    In those areas would there be any issue with the spectrum scan? When it comes to licensed spectrum, T-Mobile is suffering from an embarrassment of riches.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, also in the article, Dish got their buildout requirements pushed back, the AWS and 700mhz got pushed to June 2023, the 600mhz has it's 2023 deadline removed, instead requiring 75% population coverage in each PEA by June 2025. I'm still hoping Dish builds out and acts as a 4th competitor (5th here since we also have US Cellular) but..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    In those areas would there be any issue with the spectrum scan? When it comes to licensed spectrum, T-Mobile is suffering from an embarrassment of riches.
    Well spectrum scan should be by PEA so if T-Mobile has less 2.5 GHz in an area then it shouldn't affect them. As I said that means these same areas that 2.5 GHz will be up for auction next year and could be used much sooner than C-band. If the 3450-3500 MHz auction/use rules were more like C-band and less like the recent CBRS I have more confidence that-mobile would skip C-band all together but the rules won't be known until after the C-band auction. Maybe they'll be known during the auction

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Hmm, also in the article, Dish got their buildout requirements pushed back, the AWS and 700mhz got pushed to June 2023, the 600mhz has it's 2023 deadline removed, instead requiring 75% population coverage in each PEA by June 2025. I'm still hoping Dish builds out and acts as a 4th competitor (5th here since we also have US Cellular) but..
    We will see in 2023 the the ban on selling their spectrum ends. As far as USSC someone needs to buy them.