Thread: Canít change plan

Feedback Score

Canít change plan

Verizon will not let me change my plan due to the service address not in their service area. If I use an address in their service area would they cut me off if Iím not using the phone there?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes they could. Your billing address is not the same as you Primary Place of Use in that example. The phone reports which towers/network it connects to so you can't fool the system to think you are using it outside your actual place of usage.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Yes they could. Your billing address is not the same as you Primary Place of Use in that example. The phone reports which towers/network it connects to so you can't fool the system to think you are using it outside your actual place of usage.
    What's the time limit on that? Say you live in one area 8-9 months out the year but 3-4 months you don't. If both areas have Verizon is that an issue?

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    What's the time limit on that? Say you live in one area 8-9 months out the year but 3-4 months you don't. If both areas have Verizon is that an issue?
    If it's not in a Verizon service area, it means that any coverage the user gets will be roaming coverage. Verizon has been rather well known for cutting subscribers loose for even using roaming more than 25% of the time. So I figure if you are using it on roaming for 3 months, they could decide to drop you. (Though, AT&T has been known to do the something similar. I've yet to hear T-Mobile being as strict, but it is a common practice within the industry.)

Of course, we are still talking about the same carrier that tried to not only cut subscribers loose that were no longer covered by them after the AMPS shutdown, but also attempting to charge ETFs too, if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by jmac32here; 09-16-2020 at 01:45 AM.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Motorola e4, Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The towers also report back how often you are on which towers, and in the case of roaming, the "partner" carrier will report this information back to Verizon.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This happened a few years ago here in Kentucky.

https://www.kyforward.com/rural-blog...ing-much-data/

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Your billing address is not the same as you Primary Place of Use in that example.
    Good point. For example, your billing address can be your home (or parents home), and your "registered" primary place of use can be at your college.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbky View Post
    This happened a few years ago here in Kentucky.
    Yep. It happened in "13 states, including Alaska, Idaho, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Utah and Wisconsin."

"During a recent review of customer accounts, we discovered you are using a significant amount of data while roaming off the Verizon Wireless network. While we appreciate you choosing Verizon, we will no longer offer service for the numbers listed above since your primary place of use is outside the Verizon service area."

"Many of the affected consumer lines use a substantial amount of data while roaming on other providers’ networks and the roaming costs generated by these lines exceed what these consumers pay us each month."

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2020)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blb16 View Post
    Verizon will not let me change my plan due to the service address not in their service area. If I use an address in their service area would they cut me off if I’m not using the phone there?
    Changing the address should work, at least temporarily.

The real issue is the amount of time you spend on Verizon's network. Verizon has to pay out when you roam on another carrier's network. If you spend too much time roaming, it doesn't make business sense for Verizon to keep paying for you to keep using someone else's service. Expect to receive a letter at some point telling you to find another carrier. If most of your time is on native Verizon, it should be a non issue.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When I used/worked for At&t, their threshold was either 30 or 40% of off network usage for 2-3 consecutive months before a notification was sent to a customer threatening cancelation unless the phone was used primarily in their network covered area. The carrier does pay more to allow off network roaming and they will "cut bait" if the ARPU (Average Revenue Per Unit) was not met for too many months.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac704 View Post
    Changing the address should work, at least temporarily.
    The would be only a band-aid on a major wound that requires stitches. Not a good idea.