Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Verizon to buy Tracfone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    The article say's Tracfone . No mention of sister providers.

This is huge, why is this not all over the news.

Tracfone was the only prepaid service with clout. Prepaid as we know it is doomed.
    This from Verizon indicates that it is all of the Tracfone brands.

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/...Fact-Sheet.pdf

In the grand scheme of news this is not huge. I would not expect to see it on the broadcast networks nightly news or even the local news. I did see it in the financial news.

Is this the start of consolidation after Sprint was eliminated* as a fourth national carrier? Maybe.

*I believe that Sprint eliminated themselves as a fourth carrier by failing as a business. They operated without making a profit for over ten years.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    If the deal goes through, I see:

1. GSM phones being discontinued from sale.

2. A year or so later, start pushing customers to migrate. Many can have their BL phones unlocked under regular policy, and VZW might relax the policy. They will either have to sacrifice the customers east of the Mississippi who don't have good VZW coverage, allow them to keep their existing service, or expand their network. The network expansion might occur with the shutdown of 3G, and that might depend on whether they shut 3G down and convert the towers to 4G/5G, or leave the 3G towers up for enterprise customers.

I'm guessing that the enterprise customers were given an additional year beyond the end of 2019, then last spring they decided to give all of us the extra year, but put a halt to device activation as of June 2019. If I'm right, those 3G towers will be freed up next winter.
    Wait, poor coverage east of the Mississippi?
    I coulda swore by my own experiences and by Verizon's own map that was West of that same river.
    (WA state here)
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto G6, Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    According to what I have read, Verizon and TracFone have been in talks since 2019. Didn’t the TracFone $30 monthly plan begin in 2019? ...The foreshadowing of Verizon even at that early date?

I haven’t looked at TracFone’s Refill Plans in some time because I’m good for a couple of years. But, I got on the website today, and now I see that TracFone is offering 3 monthly plans for $30, $25, and $20. They are the first plan refill offers that you see. ...Undoubtedly a foreshadowing of Verizon’s idea of refill plans. ...Good-bye PayGo?

Moreover, based on what I’ve read of the vision of Verizon’s CEO, he feels that he’s going to keep TracFone customers by offering attractive “bells and whistles” (and, you know, at an increased price, of course). Perhaps that approach will appeal to Straight Talk, Net10, and Total Wireless customers. But, he doesn’t seem to get it that TracFone Wireless and Page Plus customers, at least, just want dependable coverage at low cost. However, maybe he doesn't care because I get the impression that he is really after the Straight Talk crowd.

If the FCC doesn’t step in and do something, I know I’m bailing once I’m forced to buy monthly plans.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    This from Verizon indicates that it is all of the Tracfone brands.

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/...Fact-Sheet.pdf

In the grand scheme of news this is not huge. I would not expect to see it on the broadcast networks nightly news or even the local news. I did see it in the financial news.

Is this the start of consolidation after Sprint was eliminated* as a fourth national carrier? Maybe.

*I believe that Sprint eliminated themselves as a fourth carrier by failing as a business. They operated without making a profit for over ten years.
    Sprint was running "in the red" as far back as 2010 (around the time Radio Shack was going through it's first Bankruptcy) I was still selling Sprint services until the day I quit. (I saw the writing on the wall.)

Feedback Score
    TF Paygo has worked very well for me. I am a very light but very lumpy user. I might use 200 minutes one month and 5 minutes the next. I prefer to not have a monthly bill. I load up on minutes when good deals are available. Since I started hanging out on HoFo I have been able to keep my costs quite low.

Also, since I am used to TF’s quirks if I find it easy to manage. My latest 3 year costs have been roughly $70, $50 and $40. These are crazy low costs for 3 years worth of all the cell service that I need/want. Most folks I know have these amounts as monthly costs, not yearly costs.

I have considered other options but could never justify the cost of switching. I go for these low cost plans from choice not necessity and I certainly sympathize with folks who need the low cost to have coverage at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Don't see how that can happen for all those phones that are not VZW compatible. They already have a headache pushing people to VoLTE. Even if they say "suck it" to the BYOP customers, what will they do with all those people who bought TracFone branded AT&T or T-Mobile phones??
    Actual Tracfone-branded AT& or T-Mobile phones have been extremely rare in the last couple of years. The Doro flip phone might be the sole exception.

Plenty of T-Mo, and possibly AT&T, branded phones from the sister companies, of course.

Feedback Score
    I have 4 AT&T lines and just 1 Verizon line on TF (all BYOP) simply because there are SO many more options for phones on GSM. Plus Verizon is persnickety about which phones they will allow on their network. I have a year or two of service days on these lines and significant balances on most of them...

Oh, and the thought of all of those AT&T and TMo SIM cards out there (and in my basement). Oh makes my head hurt!

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I would think the sale could open up opportunities for the services that still offer PayGo. It will give them the opportunity to expand their customer base with TF customers who bail out.

I'm sure VZ will kill the PayGo plan cards and everything will be monthly, and unlikely the lower priced monthly plans will survive. The pricing will probably begin around where VZs lowest monthly offerings do. Possibly they will try to compete with T-Mo's lower priced budget plans that are offered for $15/mo w/2gb data and $25/mo with 5gb data.

A lot of people do PayGo & don't need monthly unlimited t/t plans riding around in glove box or purse. I don't know what per cent of the prepaid market are PayGo customers but they'll probably bail to another provider. They won't pay a monthly amount. I wouldn't. Red Pocket's $60/year plan is about $5/mo and H20 is $40/year for 800 minutes talk time. The ones who can ride on AT&T MVNOs will rather switch to something like that.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    A lot of people do PayGo & don't need monthly unlimited t/t plans riding around in glove box or purse. I don't know what per cent of the prepaid market are PayGo customers but they'll probably bail to another provider. They won't pay a monthly amount. I wouldn't.
    Same here. My "main" line is a monthly prepaid non-TF one and has all the bells and whistles that I need. I use my TF as a secondary phone I carry around to have alternate/backup coverage with the VZW network and have been doing it for more than 15 years. No need of a monthly plan for that. I also use TF to activate lines for international visitors who stay only for few weeks or days.

I would think that a big part of the current TF customers use it because they can't afford a monthly plan. I remember years ago the stigma of TF being for "poor people" (or "ugly, toothless and fat" as someone here in HoFo once called us, prepaid users). Well, I'm sure most of them would bail out too if PAYGO option were to end, no matter how shiny and slick the plans the CEO of VZW would offer to them instead.

Feedback Score
    I would think the sale could open up opportunities for the services that still offer PayGo. It will give them the opportunity to expand their customer base with TF customers who bail out...
    I see things a bit differently. After the completion I think rates to MVNO's will go up quite sharply. So no thrilling expansion for the remaining MVNO's.

...The pricing will probably begin around where VZs lowest monthly offerings do...
    This pricing would erode TF. I don't think VZW purchased TF to destroy it.

...A lot of people do PayGo & don't need monthly unlimited t/t plans riding around in glove box or purse. I don't know what per cent of the prepaid market are PayGo customers but they'll probably bail to another provider. They won't pay a monthly amount. I wouldn't. Red Pocket's $60/year plan is about $5/mo and H20 is $40/year for 800 minutes talk time. The ones who can ride on AT&T MVNOs will rather switch to something like that...
    I don't disagree here. But it's the possible destinations I question. I say out of 100 people 40 know the TF name. I'd say 3 or less out of 100 know about Red Pocket or H2O. So I don't think the vast majority of those wanting to leave will have any idea of where to go to replace their PayGo plans. In fact I have no idea given their lack of knowledge where they'd go.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    I would think that a big part of the current TF customers use it because they can't afford a monthly plan. I remember years ago the stigma of TF being for "poor people" (or "ugly, toothless and fat" as someone here in HoFo once called us, prepaid users). Well, I'm sure most of them would bail out too if PAYGO option were to end, no matter how shiny and slick the plans the CEO of VZW would offer to them instead.
    I can afford a monthly plan, but don't want one. I like the Tracfone choice of buying what I need when I want to. Have not bought an airtime card in years. The cost of talk minutes is a lot cheaper as an add-on than buying any combo plan. The cheap plans (PayGo or monthly) do not have enough service for my needs. My Tracfone is my only phone, which is a different mentality than a glove box phone.

What the Verizon CEO was hinting at is the 5G stuff, which is of little importance to most on Tracfone. Verizon is not in good shape for low-band/mid-band 5G anyway with their lack of spectrum that is also hurting LTE right now.

Feedback Score
    Maybe with this deal Tracfone can work in Mexico and other Latin America Countries and may open the door to roam to Canada.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBear916 View Post
    Maybe with this deal Tracfone can work in Mexico and other Latin America Countries and may open the door to roam to Canada.
    How do you figure this?

Feedback Score
    Verizon is very conscious of what money they make with various levels of service. #1 is Postpaid, #2 is Prepaid, #3 is everything else. I am surprised they even give us HD Voice.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    If it didn't work when its owner America Móvil also owns Telcel in Mexico and Claro in Central and South America, I don't see why it would work under Verizon.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast