Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Verizon to buy Tracfone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    When the VZ TF sale finishes, what about all of the TF branded phones people have but that aren't activated.
    Tracfone branded phones are not allowed directly on Verizon. There is no indication so far that they would switch anybody over from the Tracfone Wireless companies arrangement. Wait and see as details unfold.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Tracfone branded phones are not allowed directly on Verizon. There is no indication so far that they would switch anybody over from the Tracfone Wireless companies arrangement. Wait and see as details unfold.

By Tracfone branded phones, do you mean those models sold on HSN that come with one year of service? Could suddenly those phones stop working when the sale to Verizon is completed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yeah, I recall when Verizon bought Yahoo. I thought, "Why would they want Yahoo? It's a depreciated brand without a bright future."

That said, I still use Yahoo Finance for business and market info. It's pretty good, but it is what I started using years ago. Maybe there is something better now, but I have not looked for anything newer or better.
    I thought the same about buying Yahoo... Yes, Yahoo Finance isn't that bad , similar to MarketWatch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SJGUY99 View Post
    By Tracfone branded phones, do you mean those models sold on HSN that come with one year of service? Could suddenly those phones stop working when the sale to Verizon is completed?
    I was referring to any Tracfone not being able to run on Verizon directly. Verizon has a "whitelisting" test program for phones compatible with their network that Tracfone did not go through. If you run a Tracfone through the Verizon compatibility checker it will fail. Verizon allows these phones to run on their network by a special agreement with Tracfone.

I doubt Verizon would pull the plug on any existing service, and make the phones instantly obsolete. Hopefully the Federal regulators will think so too. It could be a big anti-trust issue.

Feedback Score
    VZW will honor all TF obligations they're legally obligated to. My concern if I was a TF user would be having outstanding mins/text/data but not being able to buy further years (push out exp date).
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I was referring to any Tracfone not being able to run on Verizon directly. Verizon has a "whitelisting" test program for phones compatible with their network that Tracfone did not go through. If you run a Tracfone through the Verizon compatibility checker it will fail. Verizon allows these phones to run on their network by a special agreement with Tracfone.

I doubt Verizon would pull the plug on any existing service, and make the phones instantly obsolete. Hopefully the Federal regulators will think so too. It could be a big anti-trust issue.
    Tracfone and brands tend to be oddballs when it comes to being able to use with other carriers. As far as I can tell, you can not activate any Tracfone branded phone (which includes most of their brands) with any other carrier, regardless of it being unlocked.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Tracfone and brands tend to be oddballs when it comes to being able to use with other carriers. As far as I can tell, you can not activate any Tracfone branded phone (which includes most of their brands) with any other carrier, regardless of it being unlocked.
    So far, that's not true if using a successfully SIM card slot unlocked TF on AT&T and T-Mobile, although due to changes coming to those networks, that may not always be true in the future.

Also so far, a successfully SIM card slot unlocked TF sold iPhone can be used on any network, if the iPhone model is new enough to be compatible with the network.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    VZW will honor all TF obligations they're legally obligated to. My concern if I was a TF user would be having outstanding mins/text/data but not being able to buy further years (push out exp date).
    May be time to pickup some of those 1yr/$50 add on promos.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    So far, that's not true if using a successfully SIM card slot unlocked TF on AT&T and T-Mobile, although due to changes coming to those networks, that may not always be true in the future.
    What about Verizon? Interested in this because I am hoping to unlock my Moto E5 bundle that came with a Verizon sim.

Feedback Score
    Verizon won't know exactly what they've gotten themselves into until they get up close and personal. If all they're looking at is the financials, not the dysfunction.

So no telling what they will be reworking.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    What about Verizon? Interested in this because I am hoping to unlock my Moto E5 bundle that came with a Verizon sim.
    If what has been reported by others so far holds true, The IMEI of TF Android phones that can be SIM card slot unlocked after the one year use period are not recognized by the Vzw system via Vzw itself or other Vzw MVNOs.

So far, iPhones (6 and newer) sold by TF CAN be used on any network, including Vzw, after they can be SIM card slot unlocked.

But please report back after you get your TF Moto E5 SIM card slot unlocked and let us know how it goes. Things could change at any time, so new information is always welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

Also so far, a successfully SIM card slot unlocked TF sold iPhone can be used on any network, if the iPhone model is new enough to be compatible with the network.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I have the Moto e5 that I got with the eBay bundle. It expires May 2021 and because VZ is taking over I'll probably ask to have it unlocked.

What about TFs that were never activated? I also have two Simple Mobile phones, an e5 and a LG Fiesta 2 I never activated. Also a Straight Talk Moto e6. If VZ can't or won't recognize those phones after it gets done revising everything, shouldn't they allow them to be unlocked since they won't accept them on their service?

Sent from my A576BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arny56 View Post
    May be time to pickup some of those 1yr/$50 add on promos.
    Those may be gone now.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon could use that smartsim idea and make Verizon the number one choice where they have coverage and use best choice when they don't running out the contracts with other carriers that way at least where a phone can be made to work in that manner meaning it supports most bands. Just spitballing here.

I would think one way or the other they're going to have to deal with phone incompatibilities and compensation for those that cannot use Verizon in some way shape or form.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I would think one way or the other they're going to have to deal with phone incompatibilities and compensation for those that cannot use Verizon in some way shape or form.
    A big issue is that the Tracfone Wireless branded phones (even unlocked) are limited to that system. They are not whitelisted by Verizon. Verizon may not want to deal with that, and might leave the Tracfone Wireless whitelisting system as it is.

Of course, those who are not on the Verizon network will have to change. I wonder if "DL" models are restricted to the Tracfone Wireless system after unlock, or could be used on another provider using AT&T or T-Mobile?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast