Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How terrible are these numbers!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

How terrible are these numbers!!

I switched to T-Mobile and just did a Speedtest and these are the atrocious numbers I got at home. Oh well.

Name:  IMG_0368.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  31.5 KB

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by michko View Post
    I switched to T-Mobile and just did a Speedtest and these are the atrocious numbers I got at home. Oh well.

Yes, you are using stupid iPhone ...
    Pay more for less !
    My $30 Moto G6 play phone , speed is around 200Mpbs at all the time on LTE

Sent from my moto G (6) play using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by michko View Post

Location is key here. You have 2/4 bars (kinda meh), and I don't know the area you are in. Some areas for performance are worse than others due to many factors:
    1. Spectrum deployed some areas have ~10MHz of LTE, others have ~40MHz
    2. Device (most 'recent' devices should be good, not all have more than 2x CA)
    3. Amount of users in the area. This does a lot. Eg. Locally, I hit ~120Mbps on 30MHz. In a place 20miles from here, I'll hit ~1Mbps with 35MHz of spectrum and strong signal.
    4. Backhaul - Most areas that I've been to have decent backhaul. Some have fiber (30MHz gives +200Mbps), some do not (30MHz gives ~120Mbps), and some are awful (San Simeon 30MHz gives 0.5Mbps).

In the end... does it work well enough for you ?
    Is it cost effective ?
    Is another carrier any better (cost/performance) ?

In my area, AT&T gives ~10Mbps or less because of signal (1bar typically), but the site will give ~200Mbps, while T-Mobile gives me ~80-120Mbps. Basically, I'm on a low use site with decent backhaul.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Pay more for less !

lol wat?

that's not how this works, this is not how this works at all. I carry both iOS and Android, and the OP's situation here is they're stuck on B12/B71 at home.. it has nothing to do with the phone

I do love how diehard (usually cheap, midrange) android users are the first to yell something about iPhone.. when in fact they're using the windows of the phone world (ugly UI on cheap hardware). If it makes you feel better, go for it.. but my iOS devices always last me 5-6yrs.. so sure I spend more upfront, but i also get 3x the life out of the device.

OP: If you have an ISP at home, T-Mobile has a CellSpot that plugs into your ethernet network to provide 'midband' LTE at whatever speed you pay for from your ISP, otherwise use WiFi. You're on 600/700MHz which simply is for coverage, not speed.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Pay more for less !

What kind of stupid response is this? Unbelievable really.

The person with the iPhone might have had almost no service, bad signal, overloaded tower, etc.

How can you compare your arbitrary and random speed test to OP's? Its incomparable, if you dont see why then stop posting here. The only way you could possibly compare your speeds is if you both stood in the exact same geographic spot and ran the speed test back to back.

You just wanted a reason to post your precious little GIF to flex for whatever reason.

I too could go stand next to a T-Mobile tower with my iPhone 11 Pro and post an equally impressive result, but that would be irrelevant and in poor taste.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andben2 View Post

The person with the iPhone might have had almost no service, bad signal, overloaded tower, etc.

How can you compare your arbitrary and random speed test to OP's? Its incomparable, if you dont see why then stop posting here. The only way you could possibly compare your speeds is if you both stood in the exact same geographic spot and ran the speed test back to back.

You just wanted a reason to post your precious little GIF to flex for whatever reason.

I too could go stand next to a T-Mobile tower with my iPhone 11 Pro and post an equally impressive result, but that would be irrelevant and in poor taste.
    Your 60x priced iPhone 11 Pro only get 1/3 speed of my 1/60 price phone. That is a joke

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Your 60x priced iPhone 11 Pro only get 1/3 speed of my 1/60 price phone. That is a joke

I have an iphone.. in fort worth.. I can take you anytime.. partner !

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andben2 View Post

I may have tried to say the same thing, but worded a bit better so it doesn't sound like trolling.
    (However, it also looks like the response to the OP may have been trolling too.)

Like I've seen iPhones do really well, even the cheaper ones and the referbs which are even cheaper just as I have seen Andorid to really well. On the flip side, I've seen both perform very poorly too. It's all about the factors playing into it all. (Which includes where said phone was purchased. An iPhone/Android bought at a Verizon store more than likely won't have full support on T-Mobile's network, whereas one purchased directly from the maker that is certified fully unlocked is more than likely to have wider support for all networks.)

Other factors include location/terrain, signal strength and band(s) being used, along with current network congestion in that area.
    (My own home is a prime example. None to OK signal inside, but good to great right outside.)

The device itself is only one factor that can help determine how well the service works for the users.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a, iphone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've owned both iphone and android phones for years...
    1 - Speedtest is too dependent on too many factors (other traffic on the network, the particular time of day, the band your phone is on, the particular tower it's connected to) to be a reliable evaluation of iphone vs android performance.
    2 - Having had many years of measuring signal strength using dbm measurements and not bars, I can honestly say that there can be a very big difference from one phone to another (and not just android to iphone, but even android to android), I will say that in almost all instances I have seen, android phones do tend to have better reception than iphones. Not a huge difference but a difference just the same. Usually somewhere around a 4-6 dbm difference which is not real significant but notable. The antennae used in iphones has for many years needed upgrading. There are rumors that the next iphones will indeed improve on them.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    1 - Speedtest is too dependent on too many factors (other traffic on the network, the particular time of day, the band your phone is on, the particular tower it's connected to) to be a reliable evaluation of iphone vs android performance.
    2 - Having had many years of measuring signal strength using dbm measurements and not bars, I can honestly say that there can be a very big difference from one phone to another (and not just android to iphone, but even android to android), I will say that in almost all instances I have seen, android phones do tend to have better reception than iphones. Not a huge difference but a difference just the same. Usually somewhere around a 4-6 dbm difference which is not real significant but notable. The antennae used in iphones has for many years needed upgrading. There are rumors that the next iphones will indeed improve on them.
    That is an interesting insight. So iPhones are in need of some upgrades internally.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Yes, but as someone who also carry both with me all around the country, it's such a slight difference.

if an iPhone has "No Service", the Android phone will likely *also* have no service.. it's such a slight difference, and my actual performance is usually about the same (LTE wise), so i'll gladly take software stability and integration for my daily driver anyday.

As I said above. Android is just like windows.. ugly UI on top of usually cheap hardware, there's no point in buying a high end android phone anyway as the software support ends far too soon for the cost.. Other than my Note 9 which I got a hell of a deal on because Sprint screwed up, I'd never buy an android phone that retails for more than $500, it's just not worth it.

The maturity level of these posts are a joke.

I certainly have the cash to pay for an iPhone, and they last 5-6yrs easily. Talk to me when you have to buy three phones in the time I have to buy one.

Not to mention, *actual* integration with my other devices, better UI, actual security/software/OS updates for ~5-6yrs from date of launch, and somewhere to just drop my phone if it breaks for a QUALITY repair, none of this joes basement in a strip mall repair options

As i said earlier, it's always the young ones with cheap mid-range android phones talking trash.. nobody cares one day you'll grow up and realize what's actually important in a device, but until then... lag on!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The main reason why I don't spend more than $200-300 on my devices are two fold.

1. From my experiences, the batteries don't last more than a year or two, maybe three if I'm lucky.
    (So software updates are the least of my concerns. Why update a device I have to literally keep on the charger all the time?)

2. I'm low middle class, AKA just above low income... So I really don't have that much money to burn on a device I'd have to replace in less than 5 years simply because of hardware issues or network upgrades making it obsolete.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a, iphone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    if an iPhone has "No Service", the Android phone will likely *also* have no service.. it's such a slight difference, and my actual performance is usually about the same (LTE wise), so i'll gladly take software stability and integration for my daily driver anyday.

As I said above. Android is just like windows.. ugly UI on top of usually cheap hardware, there's no point in buying a high end android phone anyway as the software support ends far too soon for the cost.. Other than my Note 9 which I got a hell of a deal on because Sprint screwed up, I'd never buy an android phone that retails for more than $500, it's just not worth it.

Depends on the device. Some androids are better than others. The one I currently use (Pixel 3a) actually shows between 5 and 10dbm better reception than iphones I have compared it to. It's also got a louder, cleaner audio than any iphone I've ever owned. I do agree though there are just things about the iphones that I really like and that Android can't match. That's why I still use both.

Feedback Score

Depends on the device. Some androids are better than others. The one I currently use (Pixel 3a) actually shows between 5 and 10dbm better reception than iphones I have compared it to. It's also got a louder, cleaner audio than any iphone I've ever owned. I do agree though there are just things about the iphones that I really like and that Android can't match. That's why I still use both.
    LOL, you made fake statement.
    Normally, Android phone has much better hardware , stronger battery, better camera, more memory with extendable memory slot at fraction cost of iPhone...
    iPhone receiption is always the poorest one to compare with comparable Android phone,. Nowadays, we are moving the new era of the 5G, iPhone is still stuck in the past....

Sent from my huawei hma-al00 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Interesting how this conversation has turned from 'poor performance (on T-Mobile)' to Apple vs. Android.
    I personally use both and have similar network performance on both. +300Mbps on Apple, +300Mbps on Android
    Apple is a closed ecosystem, with a consistent ui
    Android is an open ecosystem with multiple ui
    I've typically had better battery life / faster charging on Apple (smaller battery) -as Apple has a much more aggressive method of curbing battery use when the screen is off.
    For some things I prefer iOS/Apple... for others I prefer Android.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast