Thread: Has 3G data already been shutdown on Verizon network?

Feedback Score

Has 3G data already been shutdown on Verizon network?

I have a 5 year old LG Ultimate 2 phone that I keep in my car's glove compartment "just in case". This is a 3G phone, I have it on Pay-As-You-Go plan.

I power it on once in a while and for the past year (or 2?) I've been noticing that it only connects to the data at 1x speed (indicator at the status bar show "1x"). And data is barely usable, sometimes doesn't work at all.

At the same time voice calls and texts work just fine.

Has 3G data already been shutdown on Verizon network? For what it is worth I am in NYC.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have heard there might be a few areas, but I have not heard any official word tho.

Feedback Score
    It's not officially shut down. But it's possible that it's already in the process of being removed from certain towers and/or not repaired if it fails on certain towers.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z2 (Red)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    I power it on once in a while and for the past year (or 2?) I've been noticing that it only connects to the data at 1x speed (indicator at the status bar show "1x"). And data is barely usable, sometimes doesn't work at all.
    I am pretty sure that "1x" on your phone also means CDMA.

On the Verizon network, for voice calls, you have only two choices CDMA (aka 1x) or VoLTE (aka 4G). Its CDMA that is being shut down, and soon, the only choice for voice calls will be VoLTE.

Your 5 year old 3G phone will not work, soon enough, because it doesn't support VoLTE.

Just to add, 3G on your phone is data only, not voice calls.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    It's not officially shut down. But it's possible that it's already in the process of being removed from certain towers and/or not repaired if it fails on certain towers.
    Yea, I have heard that some cell companies are not repairing the old tech towers after storm damage because it is not worth it to repairing them.

Device(s)
    iPhones 7 and a iPhone 6s and 4 and a fire hd8
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    I believe what the operator is saying is that Verizon is shutting down 3g evdo data so their is more room for Lte.but they still have 2g cdma data called 1x.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hamradio View Post
    I believe what the operator is saying is that Verizon is shutting down 3g evdo data so their is more room for Lte.but they still have 2g cdma data called 1x.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    That is what I was thinking at the start too.

Here is what I have heard from a local 3rd party Verizon store and not an official Verizon store. Verizon is dropping their some of CDMA system sooner in the areas to try to help with speeds since some students are using hotspots for school work. That is why I said there was never an official word on this since this was from a 3rd party Verizon stores.

I have to do more testing here to find out.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z2 (Red)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hamradio View Post
    I thought that for a phone the OP keeps in his car's glove compartment "just in case", it would be used for emergency voice calls. Therefore, his concerns were its ability to make voice calls, today and on 1/1/2021. 3G EVDO doesn't fit into that requirement.

Feedback Score
    I am sorry I wasn't clear. I was aware that I probably will not be able to make voice calls after 1/1/20201. I was just under the impression that 3G data is still functional. I can't remember for sure but I think when I bought this phone as a spare it was showing "3G" (or was it "EVDO"?) in the status bar.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    I am sorry I wasn't clear. I was aware that I probably will not be able to make voice calls after 1/1/20201. I was just under the impression that 3G data is still functional. I can't remember for sure but I think when I bought this phone as a spare it was showing "3G" (or was it "EVDO"?) in the status bar.
    The carrier really only has to maintain voice service until the CDMA shutdown. That is only a few months away, so why don't you just replace the phone now? LG Rebel 4 is on sale for $30 at Walmart and the Tracfone website. Will work fine on your PPC service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    I noticed few weeks ago that my old Moto G (1st Gen) that I use with PPC went from showing 3G to 1x. The change could have occurred earlier as I don't keep it on all the time.

Device(s)
    s21U, Note20U, s20fe, Pixel4XL, Atom, MoFi, i8(work), etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, Tmo, RP/att, Tello/Tmo, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    Verizon 3G is still running in southern NH. Wishing it would go away sooner rather than later. The network has been soooo congested for several years now. It's all on B5, need that for 5g!
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    It still lights up on my 4G phone in NY state. It is not all the way gone for Verizon.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    We had a terrible derecho wind event early August in Chicago area. Power was lost. Many sites were down. Lte was loaded up. I put my phone on 3g and got data throughput. Poor speeds but better than choked up lte. Poor speeds most likely because of weak reception.